05MAY13


[18:54:00] === 1 unknown connection(s)
[18:54:00] =-= User mode for Gerhal is now +i
[18:54:02] -->| YOU (Gerhal) have joined #beyondshadowrun
[18:54:57] <gerhal> Hey guys. I deeply apologize for the fact that I'm still working today. I know we had a lot riding on today.
[18:55:11] <rivet_> (hm. What level should we be at? 11?)
[18:55:19] <gerhal> I just wasn't given a choice in the matter, and work takes precedence.
[18:57:10] <sirens> I'm sorry you have to work. :(
[18:57:52] <gerhal> We're still testing new stuff, and after that we have over 35 client machines we have to remotely log into via LogMeIn and manually install updated software.
[18:58:35] <sirens> Goodness. I'm not jealous.
[18:59:28] <gerhal> I'm still sorta here though. What have I missed?
[19:00:00] -->| Solaire (~ThunderHa@c-68-80-213-233.hsd1.nj.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[19:00:23] <ancient> Go by your XP, Riv. I think Vargas is level 11, and he's in the lead.
[19:00:35] <solaire> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKzum5xCGjQ Since we're fuckin foolz up
[19:00:50] <solaire> yeah I think Ibram dinged to 11 recently, but I lost my sheet so my XP totals are gooone.
[19:00:54] * Solaire glares at Vundoo
[19:01:32] <gerhal> (ugh, if I didn't keep XP and loot logs... what would you do without me?)
[19:01:44] <rivet_> (rely on mine)
[19:04:24] <ancient> All right, in costume, fools.
[19:04:56] =-= Rivet_ is now known as Serribon
[19:05:11] <serribon> (and whenever's convenient, I need last week's log)
[19:05:55] =-= Sirens is now known as Acadia
[19:06:15] <acadia> (Wait, did we get the catch up XP stuff at some point?)
[19:06:42] <serribon> (not yet.)
[19:07:11] <acadia> (Okay
[19:07:13] <acadia> )
[19:07:14] <gerhal> (on phone)
[19:07:55] <ancient> I have preliminary calculations, but I needed to know exactly where everyone stands.
[19:08:16] =-= Ancient is now known as D_M
[19:08:27] <d_m> Nacht is working on connecting.
[19:08:31] <d_m> Gerhal
[19:08:35] <d_m> Gerhal's on the phone.
[19:08:39] <d_m> And working.
[19:08:42] <serribon> (the last rewards I have written down are the XP and loot I gave you for finishing up under Acer)
[19:09:04] <d_m> Acadia, did you send me your sheet?
[19:09:13] <d_m> Ibram, you too.
[19:09:32] <d_m> ancient@anciententerprises.com, or use AIM file send.
[19:09:37] <solaire> https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/936835_548284311888256_79981739_n.jpg
[19:09:39] <acadia> I can. I had to reconstruct it somewhat, but I'll send what I've got.
[19:09:47] <solaire> :|
[19:10:20] <d_m> What is it with y'all losing your sheets?
[19:10:35] <serribon> (Beats me. I hoard my data obsessively)
[19:11:27] <d_m> If you can't reconstruct your XP totals, just start over at the minimum XP for your current level. I trust you haven't forgotten what level you were...
[19:12:20] <acadia> No! I was level 9. I believe I have some of the XPs, but potentially not all.
[19:15:11] <d_m> Ok. Serribon, you're in second place with 160k XP. Ibram is at level 11 +0 XP unless he can recalculate how much XP progress he has actually made. Magnus and Acadia are each somewhere in level 9. Miriam was early level 11 when she died as well.
[19:15:17] <serribon> (What level were you when you joined us?)
[19:15:42] <d_m> They joined at level 9 and haven't had a chance to level yet.
[19:15:47] <acadia> (lv 9)
[19:16:26] <serribon> (Ok, I have you listed as starting almost a year ago, last week. I have XP totals since then. lemme add them up)
[19:17:59] <serribon> (36,743 by my math)
[19:18:03] <acadia> (Holy cow. You are my hero!)
[19:18:25] <d_m> What sessions are those for, Serri?
[19:19:41] <serribon> The lead-up to the Beetle Lord, the Beetle Lord, the greater cyclops, the sandworms, the demons under Andropolis, a twix I ran, and the barghests and stuff under Acer
[19:20:02] <d_m> Magnus joined at Sand Worms.
[19:20:07] <d_m> Acadia, where did you join in?
[19:20:20] <d_m> Also, what the hell was beetle lord?
[19:20:22] <serribon> Right before the "premids"
[19:20:38] <serribon> That's what was in the pyramid. Big-ass undead bug
[19:20:56] <d_m> Oh yes! She was there for the Pyramids. So she's ahead of Magnus by that much.
[19:20:58] <serribon> where we got the scarab that kept ibram from rotting
[19:21:14] <acadia> (Right. Beetle lord was in the pyramids / premids. A was in there, then had a brief period of consideration, then back again at sandworms. She got eaten and pretend poisoned because she was actually immune. Remember?)
[19:21:30] <d_m> indeed!
[19:21:37] <d_m> So you were not there for the cyclops.
[19:21:46] <acadia> No, no cyclops for me.
[19:22:00] <d_m> Riv, can you make an adjustment for Acadia, - cyclops, and Magnus, Sandworms only?
[19:22:01] <serribon> ah. less 6400XP
[19:22:43] <serribon> for Acadia. 30343
[19:23:34] <d_m> And for Magnus?
[19:23:40] <acadia> (Gotcha. That puts me right at Lv. 10. Whoop! I'll play as lv. 9 tonight and work out level-up for next week, so as not to delay the game any further.)
[19:23:58] <serribon> 11240. Those sessions before he joined were XP-heavy
[19:24:23] <d_m> Also, we can assume that Ibram has been level 11 for that period as well. He can have the full 36k.
[19:26:36] <serribon> hm. My totals are also wrong. I must have updated an older charsheet. Sec while I re-calculate
[19:26:57] <d_m> Bill, you up?
[19:30:56] <serribon> (Yeah. Putting those encounters in, I should be at over 198k. Last time I have an updated sheet noted, I was over 188)
[19:32:40] <d_m> It looks like Magnus's sheet actually has some accurate XP counts on it, so that's good.
[19:33:08] <d_m> 198k, Serri? That puts you slightly ahead of Vargas.
[19:33:20] <d_m> do you have an exact figure?
[19:33:30] <serribon> (yeah. double-checking with a tally from the first session. this may take a bit)
[19:33:44] <d_m> Ok. We're still waiting for Bill and G, so no rush.
[19:34:28] -->| Nacht (Mibbit@ppp-70-247-167-242.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[19:34:36] <nacht> It is about damn time.
[19:35:03] <nacht> Which one of you fine folks wants to buy me a newer computer? :)
[19:35:39] <acadia> (Nose goes, not me!)
[19:36:02] <solaire> which chart are weusin for advancement
[19:36:20] =-= Nacht is now known as Magnus_
[19:37:25] <serribon> (medium)
[19:41:01] <magnus_> who
[19:41:05] <magnus_> oops. lol
[19:41:30] <solaire> okay done
[19:43:27] <serribon> ,roll 1d10
[19:43:27] <clockwork> Serribon: 1
[19:43:32] <serribon> Oh, gyp!
[19:43:46] <acadia> What was that for?
[19:43:56] <serribon> HP roll for next level
[19:44:00] <acadia> Oh!
[19:44:08] <gerhal> I am free for 40 minutes.
[19:45:01] =-= YOU are now known as Vargas
[19:45:07] <vargas> (What am I doing?)
[19:45:19] <acadia> ,roll 1d8
[19:45:20] <clockwork> Acadia: 2
[19:46:21] <d_m> Ok, 40 minutes. Priority:
[19:46:49] <d_m> Vargas, Magnus, and Ibram are in Sil. They have the intel. They have Danner Kervic's current whereabouts.
[19:46:55] <d_m> Make a plan! Quick!
[19:47:19] <vargas> "Serribon, how long will it take to get us to that fortress?"
[19:47:23] * Vargas gestures to the map.
[19:47:47] <magnus_> "No better time than the present, right?"
[19:47:51] <acadia> (Isn't serri back in the city?)
[19:47:57] <d_m> He is.
[19:48:02] <d_m> Serribon is in Akor.
[19:48:07] <d_m> Or have we reconvened in Akor?
[19:48:21] <vargas> (Reconvene back in Akor)
[19:48:29] <vargas> (I had a teleport to get us back once done with the Roses)
[19:48:52] <d_m> Ok. Question: Do you want to recovene in Akor, or just go back and get the remaining two?
[19:49:03] <d_m> And bring them to Sil? All the action is nearer to Sil, now.
[19:49:14] <vargas> (Okay, let me type)
[19:49:23] <d_m> Typing is allowed.
[19:49:29] <d_m> Just this once, though.
[19:49:44] <d_m> (I don't want you people thinking you can just type whenever you want.)
[19:50:20] * Vargas says to Ibram and Magnus. "Okay. I have one teleport left today, and I still have my ring. I am going to fetch the others, and then bring them here. We are done with Akor for now. Tomorrow, plan for travelling. Day after tomorrow, violence. Be right back."
[19:51:00] * Vargas speaks the words of power to pinch space and time, sliding through the astral into the house in Akor.
[19:51:43] <vargas> "Serribon! Acadia!"
[19:51:46] <d_m> Acadia, you have a conversation which you wish to have with Serribon. We will do that in retrospection at a later date.
[19:51:58] <d_m> For now, with a gentle swish, Vargas is in da house.
[19:52:21] <acadia> Sounds good
[19:52:25] <serribon> "Are you done, then?"
[19:52:37] <vargas> "We have a target."
[19:52:57] <vargas> "And we have a deal with the Roses for the talisman quartz."
[19:54:15] <vargas> "Where is Acadia? We need Brrk too."
[19:54:46] <d_m> Brrk is around. She has not yet had the news broken to her that she'll be soon abandoned.
[19:54:47] <serribon> "Upstairs and the pantry, I think."
[19:54:57] <d_m> That news gets delivered in Sil, shortly.
[19:54:59] * Vargas looks around. "Lee! Fetch all the servants, immediately."
[19:56:01] <d_m> Servants are fetched.
[19:56:53] <d_m> Acadia, are you present?
[19:57:05] <d_m> Brrk looks around at all the commotion like, whoa, something big must be going down.
[19:57:13] <acadia> I'm present!
[19:57:41] * Acadia enters the room having heard her name. Petite is in tow.
[19:57:50] <vargas> "Ladies, gentlemen, we thank you for your loyal service. You are excused. For reasons I cannot discuss for your own safety, you should leave this place immediately and never return. If anyone asks you about us, I will not ask you to resist but it is in your best interest to feign all ignorance."
[19:58:04] <vargas> [Serribon, do you have a gemstone or two on you?]
[19:58:49] <serribon> [Yes. I converted a lot of coins while you were gone. What do you need?]
[19:59:03] <solaire> <ibram> "Thanks guys!" *he waves cheerily*
[19:59:18] <vargas> [Let us give them 100 gold each worth, so 400.]
[19:59:31] <serribon> [Very well.]
[19:59:39] * Serribon distributes the lootz
[19:59:57] <vargas> "Go, all of you. Into the night. Shoo, shoo."
[20:00:07] <d_m> Are they officially fired?
[20:00:21] * Acadia cocks an eyebrow at V and watches the servants.
[20:00:24] <solaire> (Dismissed for lack of work. Fired implies we didn't like them)
[20:00:26] <vargas> (aye. I fear that Faisal's ninjas will come for them)
[20:01:31] <vargas> (know what I mean?)
[20:01:32] <d_m> The servants are confused, but they can't argue with the money. After clarifying that their services are no longer needed nor will be needed in the future, they depart quite wealthy.
[20:02:22] * Vargas asks Acadia, Serribon, and Brrk, "Ready to go? We're headed to Sil. We have a location on a fortress run by Danner Kervic who is most likely to be keeping Miriam."
[20:02:40] <serribon> "Yes."
[20:03:08] <d_m> Brrk says, "Wait please!"
[20:03:11] <d_m> She scampers off.
[20:03:37] * Acadia nods. Her eyes widen a little, showing some level of excitement and/or apprehension.
[20:03:39] <d_m> She returns shortly dragging her personal lootz sack. All sorts of random crap she's accumulated so far.
[20:03:46] <serribon> (as a note: anyone getting level 10 or 11, your AP total is 10. If you hit 12, the new total is 11. Still roll two and take the better one)
[20:03:59] * Vargas smiles. "Nice haul."
[20:04:17] <d_m> "Masters travel far. Many places to get nice things."
[20:04:20] <acadia> (AP total, as in number of times to use per lv?)
[20:04:22] <vargas> "Alright, circle round."
[20:04:24] <d_m> "Brrk is ready!"
[20:04:45] * Vargas speaks the words of power to bring them across the deserts to Sil.
[20:04:54] <serribon> (yep)
[20:05:02] <d_m> (Yes. If you dinged, you now have 10 action points in your pool.)
[20:05:12] <d_m> (To last you until your next ding.)
[20:05:48] <d_m> Vargas, you good?
[20:05:57] <vargas> (Still ok)
[20:06:04] <d_m> I mean, ready to leave Akor?
[20:06:07] <d_m> Any last-minute business?
[20:06:08] <acadia> (Got it)
[20:06:30] <vargas> (I got everything I needed during the big loot transfer and whatnot. Bag management)
[20:07:54] <d_m> Roger.
[20:08:00] <d_m> All right. Peace out.
[20:08:34] * Vargas will bring the party together over all the maps and whatnot so they can plan the approach.
[20:08:58] <d_m> You carry the universe on your brain for another moment and get the rest of the team to Sil, and convene Emergency War Room.
[20:11:22] <vargas> "Alright, Serribon. So here is the map we've drawn of the Kervic's holdings. This one here is Danner Kervic's, and he's the one who most likely has Miriam."
[20:11:29] <vargas> (GM can fill in?)
[20:11:53] <d_m> Indeed!
[20:12:04] <d_m> So you are in Sil. Say... does everyone have the map?
[20:12:11] <solaire> (Are we getting to stabbing or should I go get some ice cream(
[20:12:35] <serribon> (Do we?)
[20:12:51] <vargas> http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/clockwork/maps
[20:14:11] <d_m> http://www.sharplight.org/images/game_map.jpg
[20:14:50] <serribon> (Well, aren't we Mr. Fancy with our two-axis coordinate system?)
[20:15:06] <magnus_> (I always feel that I should put my artistic talents to work and draw out that map on one sheet of paper)
[20:15:22] <d_m> For those of you who have never looked at the map, it'll take some getting used to, but those are five different maps, all drawn in different eras, all of which overlap to some extent.
[20:15:30] <d_m> You have to piece them together as best you can.
[20:15:49] <acadia> Ahhh
[20:15:56] <vargas> (bottom right is the most zoomed out, and encompasses the middle, top left, and bottom left)
[20:17:26] <d_m> What you know is this: Danner Kervic's current stronghold is a new fort compound, of mostly wooden construction at last report, located north of Sil. To get there, you would have to cross the deserts of the old Empire and pass into the foot of the mountains north east of Queen's Bay.
[20:17:32] <solaire> (So the answer is i should go get some damn ice cream then)
[20:17:36] <d_m> It would take a couple of weeks on foot. Hard going.
[20:18:10] <d_m> But it should be within one teleport jump.
[20:18:31] <acadia> (bring some back to share!)
[20:18:34] <vargas> (I'm sorry, Bill.)
[20:18:49] <magnus_> (And a beer for me)
[20:19:16] <acadia> (V, do you have to be familiar with an area to teleport to it?)
[20:19:20] <vargas> "What's the closest place we've been to before, Serribon? I'm assuming that tomorrow is going to be travel day. Find the fort, scout with Acadia, plan our infiltration, and then act the next day."
[20:19:43] <vargas> (I have to see it first, otherwise there is a chance we end up somewhere else)
[20:20:08] <acadia> (As I thought. Cool.)
[20:20:35] <vargas> (phone0
[20:22:23] <vargas> "Queens Bay, and then ride by horse?"
[20:22:26] <serribon> "Hm. Best I can figure, the shortest route might be to return to the Monastary and cut east-northeast across the foothills. That would be preferable to heading north across the desert and broken lands."
[20:22:56] <vargas> "How long would that take by horse?"
[20:24:02] <serribon> "Days. Perhaps as much as two weeks. Longer, with bad weather or interruptions."
[20:24:44] <magnus_> "We are on a time limit to get her back to the land of the living. Just so you all know."
[20:24:50] <solaire> <ibram> "Or we find the fort. Teleport in, kill everyone, and get out."
[20:24:58] <solaire> <ibram> "We're on a time limit, Miriam's in deep shit."
[20:25:31] <magnus_> (I believe raise dead has a limit based on the level of the character that died)
[20:25:36] <vargas> "Right. The problem is I've never seen this place."
[20:25:56] <serribon> "Yes, we know where it is. We just have to get there, Ibram."
[20:26:00] <solaire> <ibram> "er, can't you use magic or something?"
[20:26:17] <solaire> <ibram> "Well if we know where it is but you haven't seen it, what else do we know close by that you have seen?"
[20:26:17] <serribon> "We do have that ring thing - can you use it as a beacon?"
[20:26:26] <vargas> (hold on, work phone)
[20:27:42] <magnus_> (Ah...per caster level, my bad.)
[20:27:45] <vargas> (I'm on the phone while I'm typing this)
[20:28:34] <vargas> "I could try scry jumping, but that's terribly risky. There is another option though. Something I have never tried. We could use a Shadow Walk. That's how I ended for us to escape since I can only teleport three people at once. With shadow walk I don't need a precise location, and I can bring eleven of you."
[20:28:45] <vargas> (have to stop, work)
[20:30:20] <solaire> <ibram> "That sounds good.
[20:31:47] <vargas> http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shadow-walk
[20:31:58] <d_m> Are we officially paused?
[20:32:03] <vargas> (I am paused)
[20:32:54] <d_m> All right, in the meantime, the rest of you have a day to get together whatever you want to have for this raid. Shopping, prepping, etc.
[20:33:03] <solaire> (Haha if I ever run a pathfinder/other game again I am banning stealth. NO SUBTLETY FOR YOU)
[20:33:11] <solaire> (Only blood)
[20:33:40] <solaire> <ibram> *rubs his nose and sits, clearly annoyed*
[20:35:53] * Acadia spends most of the day meditating.
[20:36:42] * Serribon explores the city, having not seen so many elves in a very long time.
[20:37:02] <d_m> Ibram has a brief chat with Brrk.
[20:37:36] <solaire> <ibram> *It goes poorly*
[20:37:47] * Magnus_ spends the day preparing the front of his shield before going of for some, less dangerous, meditation.
[20:38:50] <vargas> (Ibram, if you want, you could ask Brrk if she wants to be part of this raid.)
[20:39:51] <solaire> <ibram> "Do you want to come with us on this last attack, Brrk?"
[20:40:07] <solaire> <ibram> "If we win you can keep the fort yourself, and be your own King."
[20:40:55] <d_m> Brrk clicks her teeth. She thinks you're patronizing her. "Brrk will come. Last fight. Big fight. Brrk can help find the Hand Maiden?"
[20:41:43] <solaire> <ibram> "Yes."
[20:43:12] * Magnus_ seems to start to wonder if he knows anyone that would take the goblin...it breaks his meditation.
[20:44:59] <d_m> "Brrk will come."
[20:47:02] <vargas> (theory is, teleport to closest place we know. Summon magic horses, Shadow Walk? Will that be fast enough?)
[20:47:22] <vargas> (how many days has it been since we learned of Miriam's death?)
[20:47:47] <d_m> Just a three or four.
[20:49:01] <magnus_> (gives us about 6 days to get her, V)
[20:49:32] <magnus_> (If you want Magnus to raise her that is)
[20:49:54] <solaire> <ibram> "Good."
[20:50:14] <serribon> If we do two Shadow Walks (to get in and to get out), what are we giving up?
[20:51:50] <vargas> (It's a sixth level spell. Shadow Walk can't get us "inside" that well because it is so imprecise. But it's perfect for escape.)
[20:52:19] <serribon> (yeah)
[20:52:29] <vargas> (Currently 6th level is Anti-Magic, Repulsion, Desintigrate)
[20:52:50] <solaire> <ibram> "BUt one thing guys. We don't want to overthink this. Remember, basically no one was able to even scare us in our more recent fights. The only thing scaryis Caleb. Everything else has been.... kind of a joke."
[20:52:51] <serribon> (much of which would be pretty helpful)
[20:53:08] <solaire> <ibram> "Remember how badly you kicked that mage's ass, Vargas?"
[20:53:27] * Vargas shivers. "I do. Furfner was his name, I think."
[20:53:50] <serribon> "That was also an open encampment that had no idea we were coming. Not a fortification."
[20:54:27] <serribon> "Anyway, we haven't even discussed getting inside - we can't until we see the place. We're still stuck at just getting there."
[20:54:39] <magnus_> "And that raises another worry I have. Who's to say Caleb isn't still floating around their stronghold even though Miriam has passed on?"
[20:54:53] <vargas> "Acadia can scout it from the air when we get there. And her scent can guide us inside."
[20:55:10] <serribon> "Or using her like a puppet, yes."
[20:55:33] <serribon> "But this is all speculation. How are we going?"
[20:55:34] * Acadia looks up at V and around the room and nods.
[20:55:53] <magnus_> "He's not on our plane and can go wherever he pleases. Since he knows this party he knows we'll be going to her....speculation."
[20:56:24] <vargas> "If that demon is there, there is nothing we can do about it ourselves. I don't think there is any point in preparing for it. No more than preparing for a Whump that happens in the next 15 minutes."
[20:57:02] <solaire> <ibram> "A fortification is just a trap for our enemies, as long as Vargas is with us."
[20:57:15] <vargas> "I vote we teleport to the Monestary, test the Shadow Walk a couple times, and then approach by horse. When we get in range, Acadia can scout. I will use a Seeming to disguise us as soldiers, and we can dimension step through the wall at night."
[20:57:32] <serribon> "That's a plan, then."
[20:57:45] <solaire> <ibram> "Just don't waste time. Once in, we grab someone important-looking."
[20:57:53] <vargas> (sorry guys, hard to split between work talk and here)
[20:57:57] <solaire> <ibram> "Alive. Ask them where they are keeping miriam, or the girl."
[20:58:02] <serribon> "And speaking of whumps - has your device become any more clear on when?"
[20:58:20] <solaire> <ibram> "And smash our way there. She's already dead, so they can't kill her again."
[20:58:36] * Vargas checks the chrono.
[20:59:08] <vargas> (okay, I am free for 40 more minutes)
[20:59:55] <vargas> "Ibram, do you think a Seeming disguise as human soldiers would work?"
[21:00:23] <vargas> "Where would we go to find somebody to interrogate for directions?"
[21:00:29] <vargas> "The first building to hit."
[21:01:19] <magnus_> "Probably want to avoid the barracks, though the captain of the guard would certainly know."
[21:02:50] <vargas> "If anybody stops us, Ibram can just lift his visor and tell them to screw off because he's a Kervic."
[21:03:00] <solaire> <ibram> "See if we can find a surgeon or doctor or whoever they have to work on their wounded. If we can find a building like that, we'rein good shape."
[21:03:22] <solaire> <ibram> "Since he'llhave worked on her before she died. He'll be able to tell us where they're keeping her."
[21:03:44] <solaire> <ibram> "The big thing is not to ge bogged down. If someone is no immediate help knock 'em out, or kill'em and move on."
[21:03:56] <vargas> "Right."
[21:04:11] <vargas> "Chapel then, at night?"
[21:05:20] <vargas> "Serribon, do you still have that sword of mercy?"
[21:05:27] <vargas> "How much rope do we have?"
[21:05:38] <magnus_> (50 from me)
[21:05:52] <serribon> "Yes. And at least a hundred feet, I believe."
[21:06:41] <vargas> "Buy some tanglefoot bags from the market."
[21:07:41] <vargas> "Okay, we grab a doctor or priest. We don't get a tip, we ask where Danner himself would be. Move on to the next objective?"
[21:07:48] <vargas> "Danner, bar none, will know."
[21:08:18] <solaire> <ibram> "We'll try to take Danner alive."
[21:08:25] <solaire> <ibram> "If he's too hard a nut, well..."
[21:08:39] <solaire> <ibram> *shrugs* "Finding Miriam's body will be easier once we've cleansed the fort."
[21:08:41] <vargas> "He'll have guards posted, but if we are fast we can silence them before any alarms get raised."
[21:09:27] <vargas> "We're too many people to stealth. So we'll approach under our disguise. That gets us close enough to melee yes?"
[21:09:33] <solaire> <ibram> "Serribon, up front,I'll be behind you. Magnus I want you with Vargas, Acadia, summon as much magic things as you can and watch our backs with them. Like birds or something that willnotice shit."
[21:09:44] <vargas> "Although I do have invis sphere."
[21:10:38] * Acadia nods.
[21:10:59] <vargas> "Magnus, Acadia, you should both have at least one Dispel Magic prepared if somebody does something to nullify me. Silence or whatever."
[21:11:12] <serribon> "Unless you have a one-way silence sphere, invisibility probably won't help us too much."
[21:11:27] <magnus_> "Got it."
[21:11:34] <vargas> "I don't, but it's still something if we have to cross a courtyard, right?"
[21:11:34] <solaire> <ibram> "Remember. The only thing worth shit to us is Miriam's body."
[21:11:43] * Vargas nods.
[21:11:57] <solaire> <ibram> "Invisibility and crap are nice, but the big things are her body, and information on it."
[21:12:26] <solaire> <ibram> "Worse comes to worse, if we find out it isn't there, but have kept them from talking, well, we mayhave to raid another camp but we'll be able to do it again."
[21:13:15] <vargas> "Yes. But if we can't find her, we need Danner to tell us the next place to hit, right?"
[21:13:58] <serribon> "I have an idea about you being a target, Vargas. You've said you cannot cast your magicks while actually armored - and that seems to be a limitation of most magisters. So perhaps we should secure you a suit of costume armor so you at least look like a warrior at first glance."
[21:14:01] <magnus_> "So keeping Danner alive until we get Miriam is important. Don't just kill him after he says, wait till we actually get her..he could be lying the first time."
[21:15:07] <vargas> "I could use the disguise to look like I was wearing full chainmail."
[21:15:33] <serribon> "Yes, but the disguise can be dispelled and you're just a man in a vest and a funny hat - obviously the biggest threat."
[21:16:22] * Vargas thinks. .oO(Is there anything that looks like real costume armor that wouldn't impair me?)
[21:16:27] <solaire> <ibram> "What's the disguise for, guys?"
[21:16:42] <magnus_> "Makes us look like their soldiers, Ibram."
[21:16:53] <vargas> "The disguise is to just help us blend in until we rush somebody."
[21:16:58] <solaire> <ibram> "We're coming there to either get miriam's body out and kill as many as we need to to do that. Or not find her body and kill everyone."
[21:16:58] <serribon> "To get as far into the place as we can without having to fight our way for every inch."
[21:17:02] <solaire> <ibram> "And how long is that?"
[21:17:29] <solaire> <ibram> "We've got speed and force on our side. If we start trying to play it too subtly we are dispersing both of those."
[21:17:46] <vargas> "That's not what the disguise is for. Allow me to explain."
[21:17:54] <vargas> "We stick out like sore thumbs."
[21:18:05] <magnus_> "I know I do."
[21:18:09] <solaire> <ibram> "And? We should scare the piss out of them."
[21:18:10] <vargas> "But if the alarm goes us, and we look like soldiers running around, nobody knows to chase us."
[21:18:23] <solaire> <ibram> "Chase? You mean run up and get gutted?"
[21:19:12] <vargas> "They may be our enemy, but they are people too Ibram. The people in this fort didn't choose this fight."
[21:19:20] <vargas> "Danner did, but not his minions."
[21:19:33] <serribon> (is this push because you're bored, or has Ibram just come back more bloodthirsty?)
[21:19:52] <solaire> (Neither actually. He just doesn't want to losemiriam)
[21:20:10] <solaire> <ibram> "I know, that's why I want to try to get miriam as quickly as possible."
[21:20:11] <d_m> (As far as I can tell, it's because Ibram has a different concept from yours of how to hit this place.)
[21:20:24] <magnus_> "It would be easier to get into the fortress without resistance. You get in by force, alarms get sounded, Danner probably has connections and bowls to other fortresses near by, and then we have to fight reinforcements too." He sits. "Easier to go in disguised."
[21:20:29] <solaire> <ibram> "The sooner we get in and out with her body, the less people are going to die."
[21:20:43] <d_m> Magnus, the nearest fortresses are a day's ride or more.
[21:21:02] <magnus_> Doesn't mean they don't have mages too.
[21:21:30] <d_m> You should expect them to have some magical resources, yes.
[21:21:42] <solaire> (What level spell is teleport)
[21:21:46] <vargas> "Listen, it only takes me one spell slot to use a Seeming. It lasts for 12 hours or so. If it avoids even one combat, that's a good trade. We will use the Seeming."
[21:21:50] <d_m> Possibly even a wizard of comparable level to vargas.
[21:21:53] <magnus_> (exactly)
[21:22:08] <serribon> (we know they can make gateways)
[21:22:40] <vargas> "That said, Ibram, once we're in the wall and on the move, Ibram, we will be using your tactics."
[21:22:46] <vargas> "Okay?"
[21:22:54] <solaire> <ibram> "All right."
[21:23:06] <solaire> <ibram> "Serribon, you are probably our best spotter and tracker."
[21:23:21] <serribon> "Yes."
[21:23:26] <solaire> <ibram> "That's why you are up front with me, acadia in the rear because I want a LOT of things watching our backs."
[21:23:36] <acadia> (Is SNA good for summoning an animal to keep watch, provided communication is possible?)
[21:23:39] <solaire> <ibram> "V, I want you to bring in one of your weird things."
[21:23:49] <vargas> "Lumiel?"
[21:23:51] <solaire> <ibram> "For more fighting power."
[21:23:56] <solaire> <ibram> "Yeah if he's the best fighter."
[21:24:13] <solaire> <ibram> "I picture this like cutting into a side of beef."
[21:24:23] <vargas> "With your armor, absolutely. I have an extra scroll prepared to summon him a second time too."
[21:24:26] <solaire> <ibram> "if we cut once and hard, we cut through the beef and have two pieces like we want."
[21:25:29] <solaire> <ibram> "If we cut smaller but lots we have a mess. So we don't go off side directions once we're in, we find a target, we head for it, we secure it, if she isn't there, we find someone to tell us where she is and go there. We find danner, we bring him down and have him help us find her, if he's still alive."
[21:25:42] <vargas> "Agreed."
[21:25:44] <solaire> <ibram> "If we don't find her, that's a problem, but we can't let anyone sound the alarm."
[21:26:16] <d_m> Acadia, animals so summoned are not trained. We will have to investigate the exact descriptions of some of your other spells to see what you can get them to do.
[21:26:31] <vargas> "Ibram, I have prepared six scrolls of human bane in the last few days."
[21:26:37] <acadia> (Okay. Thanks.)
[21:27:06] <vargas> "They last only three minutes. You, and Serribon will need to tell me when you want the enhancement as we rush."
[21:27:12] <solaire> <ibram> "Then I'll carry two swords until we run into something dangerous."
[21:27:46] <serribon> "Fine."
[21:27:53] * Vargas goes wide eyed. "You can do that? Two swords?"
[21:28:36] <solaire> <ibram> "Uh, yeah. I've done it before when I'm fighting outclassed opponents."
[21:28:58] <serribon> "It's easy enough with light enough weapons."
[21:29:08] <magnus_> "Should I prepare to summon a creature too?"
[21:29:12] <solaire> <ibram> "I'm better with a shield but going in two swords is very fast and hard-hitting, which is what we need."
[21:29:24] <solaire> <ibram> "Yes. We want as many people striking as we can get."
[21:29:30] <solaire> <ibram> "And Brrk!"
[21:29:35] * Magnus_ nods.
[21:29:36] * Vargas asks Magnus, "Have you summoned before?"
[21:29:56] <magnus_> "No. But I can test it before we go I'm sure."
[21:30:23] <solaire> <ibram> "If you can do something with fire that's good by the way. Fire helps us and hurts them because they'llbe panicking and using men to put it out."
[21:30:44] <acadia> "I can make fire."
[21:31:07] <vargas> (1d3 hound archons, or 1 Bralani Azata would be brutal, Magnus.)
[21:31:37] <magnus_> "Ditto. But only once, I'll have something else that will be occupying my mind that day."
[21:31:48] <solaire> <ibram> "Keep an eye out for dogs, and for the handmaiden's body. If you find the body tell us RIGHt away. Also, if you want to stay close by us, stay by me, andif anyone stands up to me or Vargas stick a knife in their back."
[21:32:18] <solaire> <ibram> "ESPECIALLY if they look like they're aiming a bow at hat father."
[21:32:27] <solaire> <ibram> "Stick them right in the kidneys or the throat, okay?"
[21:32:48] <vargas> "I will prepare a Stoneskin to help protect myself."
[21:33:05] <vargas> (Okay guys, just got another call. Work is over tonight. No deployment.)
[21:33:19] <vargas> (I am free now for the night.)
[21:33:26] <magnus_> "I'll have a Shield spell since I will be near you, Vargas."
[21:34:23] <d_m> Brrk stares at Ibram for a moment, and then she grows a big grin. "Brrk can do this!"
[21:35:48] <solaire> <ibram> "Good. ANd keep whatever you take from anyone trying to kill hat father."
[21:35:52] <magnus_> (and okay, I'll look into it, V)
[21:36:02] <acadia> "I can't call eyes, but I can call fighters. Petite and I will be the eyes in the back."
[21:36:08] <magnus_> "Consider it loot."
[21:36:45] <acadia> "I can call natural beasts or element beasts. Which do you want."
[21:36:59] <solaire> <ibram> *looks at Vargas for that one*
[21:37:18] <vargas> "Fire elementals are perfect distraction makers in a wooden fort. Especially if you see starter material like pitch or thatch."
[21:37:30] <solaire> <ibram> *nods* "Yeah, fire is our friend here."
[21:37:35] <vargas> "If you want a melee fighter, use a beast or an earth elemental."
[21:37:42] * Acadia nods.
[21:38:02] <vargas> "Tigers, bison, uhh, can you summon fighting lizards? (dinosaurs)"
[21:38:10] <magnus_> "I can only guess that the buildings inside the fort that are for their daily needs will have thatched roofs."
[21:38:16] <vargas> "Lions."
[21:38:17] <d_m> Acadia has never met a live dinosaur, that I know of.
[21:38:34] * Acadia looks at V oddly.
[21:38:37] <solaire> <ibram> *is suddenly amused by the idea of Acadia riding a dino into battle and just calling death down on people from it, and smiles*
[21:38:56] <d_m> You shall have to introduce her some time.
[21:39:07] <acadia> "I could bring another alligator."
[21:39:12] <acadia> *Petite huffs*
[21:39:15] <solaire> <ibram> "Wow two?"
[21:39:18] |<-->
[21:39:28] <acadia> "Petite and one more."
[21:39:44] <vargas> (druid summon list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqDXX-eecfTedE90NldxSUl1dDcxN2N3R25pWno2OFE&usp=sharing)
[21:39:56] <solaire> <ibram> "Okay, I think we'vemostly got a working plan once we find it. That's all serribon, ACadia and Vargas I'd say."
[21:39:59] <serribon> (you can call big frilled lizards. you turned into one once, didn't you?)
[21:40:15] <acadia> (Yup, can do that if I prep a high enough SNA.
[21:40:16] <acadia> )
[21:40:26] <solaire> <ibram> "By the way, if we can make his men shit themselves and run away while we find the body that works just as good as fighting them."
[21:40:34] <magnus_> (way to exclude Magnus. Nice job. lol)
[21:40:37] <solaire> <ibram> "Only problem willbe mop up if the body ISN't there."
[21:40:59] <solaire> (No ibram just assumes he's more of a fighty cleric so he doesn't have findy magic)
[21:41:01] <acadia> (I was thinking SNA 3, but if another would be better, that's fine.)
[21:41:02] <serribon> (He's still holding a grudge from the time you killed him)
[21:41:16] <vargas> "If there is no body, we find Danner, and we use Shadow Walk to escape. There is no reason to level the place is there?"
[21:41:18] <magnus_> (some...but not much findy magic)
[21:41:54] <solaire> <ibram> "Depends. If those guys get away and warn the other forts, if there are other forts, they'll be ready for us."
[21:42:04] <serribon> "Yes, that is a concern."
[21:42:30] <vargas> "We'll be faster than them when hitting the next place."
[21:42:34] <solaire> <ibram> "Do you have a solution Serri? I don't want to kill everyone but I'm at a loss for ideas for how to keep surprise on our side."
[21:42:55] <solaire> <ibram> "Other than stretching ourselves and doing two places in two nights or something."
[21:43:25] <acadia> (Actually I don't see a frilled lizard on the list. I see monitor?)
[21:43:56] <vargas> (You can wild shape into critters that aren't on this list)
[21:44:23] <acadia> (True. If you want something specific, just let A know.)
[21:44:42] <serribon> (ah)
[21:44:43] <vargas> "We can probably hit one, or two forts before they even realize what's going on."
[21:44:59] <vargas> "Even without doing them on the same day. Word just isn't that fast."
[21:45:45] <serribon> "No, I suppose not. If we focus on causing a distraction elsewhere, we may not have to. But that will still necessitate taking or killing whoever we interact with."
[21:46:22] <vargas> "No, I know. There is somebody we absolutely have to kill."
[21:46:23] <serribon> "Even if the disguises hold, they'll be able to draw conclusions base on what we're after."
[21:46:35] * Acadia will baleful polymore P the day before, to be released when convenient.
[21:47:17] * Vargas looks at Ibram and Serribon. "We have to kill Danner's court wizard. He's going to be the source of their magic communication. If he dies, and you torch the fort, nobody will be able to get the word out faster than horse."
[21:48:23] <solaire> <ibram> "All right. I guess we can't just tie him up or turn him into a snail then?"
[21:48:29] <solaire> <ibram> *grins at Vargas just a little bit*
[21:48:40] <acadia> "What else before we go? Should I do? Bring?"
[21:48:43] <vargas> "No. You can never take a wizard prisoner. I know that better than anyone."
[21:50:28] <d_m> Brrk is just overwhelmed by all of this. This is the first time she's seen you all really prepare for war, and it's her first real glimpse of the power you bring to bear. Just when she thought she had a handle on how powerful you are...
[21:51:29] * Vargas says to Brrk, "Brrk. If we fight another wizard like me, you kill them. No holding back."
[21:51:48] <vargas> "Same to the rest of you."
[21:51:49] <d_m> Brrk swallows but manages a nod.
[21:54:03] <solaire> <ibram> "Serribon, you're by far the fastest of us."
[21:54:05] <vargas> "Acadia, if we pass by the Stables, that's the perfect time to loose a fire elemental into it."
[21:54:27] <solaire> <ibram> "Once we figure out where miriam is, make for her IMMEDIATELY. I'll come up and support you as fast as I can."
[21:54:35] <serribon> "Right."
[21:54:37] <vargas> "If they lose their horses, they've only got their feet."
[21:54:43] <solaire> <ibram> "Knock people out of the way, do whatever, we'll finish 'em off."
[21:54:44] * Acadia nods.
[21:54:59] <d_m> "I can kill thems horses!" offers Brrk gleefully.
[21:55:19] <d_m> "Dogs and horses! I cuts them up good. You watch."
[21:56:01] <d_m> All right, serious issue for the team.
[21:56:25] <d_m> Because of Gerhal's thing, and because we were not able to generate a plan beforehand, we did not go for the battle tonight. It gets delayed another week. And it's still likely going to be a two-parter.
[21:56:37] <d_m> So, how are we looking for next Sunday?
[21:56:41] <solaire> Should be aight
[21:57:02] <serribon> I don't expect to have to work. But, I can never tell beforehand.
[21:57:05] <d_m> And we're not quite done with tonight yet, so everyone hang on.
[21:57:40] <d_m> All right, Riv. G? Is it possible that next Sunday could go like this one?
[21:57:49] <acadia> I'm good for next Sunday. The Sunday after that is less sure, but I'll do what I can to be set.
[21:57:54] <d_m> The question is, do we need to establish a different game night, at least temporarily? Is that even possible?
[21:58:17] <solaire> Not really
[21:58:24] <solaire> Tuesdays and wednesdays I ahve things
[21:58:35] <solaire> Fridays I am either dorking around or on a date
[21:58:39] <solaire> Saturdays I have my skype game
[21:59:28] <acadia> I can generally only do late nights most other days. I don't get off of work until 8:00, and that's generally the earliest.
[21:59:37] <d_m> So Sunday is still the best option for Bill. Is that the same for the rest of you? Difficult as it has been, it's still less of a problem than trying to play on a Friday or Saturday night?
[21:59:43] <d_m> Roger, Acadia.
[22:00:00] <vargas> (I should not have any work stuff Sunday)
[22:00:02] <acadia> Friday may be possible.
[22:00:40] <d_m> Rivet? Nacht? Sunday still the best option for you both?
[22:00:46] <serribon> Yes. I almost always work Sunday mornings, so I'm usually free on Sunday nights. Almost every other night of the week, I'm working until after 10 and/or have to get up early for my other job.
[22:00:56] <d_m> Ok.
[22:01:02] <magnus_> Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
[22:01:25] <d_m> So be it. Sunday nights remain the thing. Next Sunday, we will begin as early as we have the full team, ok?
[22:01:33] <d_m> If you can get on early, we will play early.
[22:01:38] <vargas> I can start early
[22:02:00] <d_m> Shoot for 5 Eastern. If we get 6 Eastern I'll be happy.
[22:02:07] <d_m> If we start at 7 like usual, we'll just make it work.
[22:02:15] <magnus_> "Would you rather I have a slay prayer, or a true seeing one for this?"
[22:02:16] <d_m> Again, I'm expecting it to be an A part B part climax.
[22:02:20] <d_m> Meanwhile, tonight.
[22:02:38] <vargas> "How long will your True Sight last?"
[22:02:55] <magnus_> "A fight at least."
[22:03:08] <d_m> Vargas, you receive a message just before it's time to roll out.
[22:03:17] <d_m> They have acquired the whump crystals.
[22:03:21] <magnus_> "I'm not entirely certain on the time. It is another I haven't used yet."
[22:03:38] <vargas> (magic message, or letter?)
[22:03:49] <d_m> Mundane spy shit.
[22:04:31] * Magnus_ looks at Ibram. "I have something to give you before you go to sleep..so don't pass out right after this meeting."
[22:04:31] * Vargas reads a tiny slip of paper. "They have secured the talisman quartz." (Do we get that now, or later as per agreement?)
[22:04:40] <d_m> You are already in the whump window, now. Beyond the threshold of uncertainty. You could whump home at any instant, though right now the probability is still low if you understand your own theora correctly. The probability that you've reached that moment will only increase as time goes on.
[22:04:50] <d_m> A week, maybe? Beyond that would be highly unlikely.
[22:05:27] <d_m> It might be wise, therefore, to tie up loose ends before you head into battle.
[22:05:37] * Vargas asks, "Magnus, Acadia. I need to ask you a question one more time."
[22:05:42] <solaire> <ibram> "True sight."
[22:05:59] <solaire> <ibram> "And here's why: Serribon in aprticular is capable of killing ANYTHING we fiht."
[22:06:19] <solaire> <ibram> "So a slay spell is limited in terms of use. True sight we can catch anyone trying to use some of Vargas' tricks against us."
[22:06:31] <serribon> "Roughly, yes."
[22:06:49] * Acadia looks at V.
[22:07:22] * Magnus_ glances at Vargas.
[22:07:32] <vargas> "Are you ready to be bound to our curse? Once I bind you, there is no turning back. Death itself cannot remove it. It will possess you in this life, and maybe the next. It will probably kill you. But all the treasure, all the secrets, and all the adventure in the world wait on the other side of the Whump."
[22:07:57] <d_m> Brrk watches...
[22:08:15] <vargas> "Once we're gone, I will return to a land that will not exist for 1000 years. I have not even been born. Without the binding, I will never see you again."
[22:08:23] <magnus_> "I've passed my animal into the care of another back in Akor. I am ready for this, Vargas."
[22:08:52] * Acadia looks at Petite, considering...
[22:08:57] <serribon> "You will still be staying here. We think. You will only be called when we are."
[22:09:34] * Acadia turns back to V, "Will Petite come with me?"
[22:09:54] <vargas> "I would need to bind her too."
[22:10:04] <magnus_> "I might be able to get the mule back then. I wasn't sure of my life expectancy as of late."
[22:10:24] <d_m> Brrk starts to get teary eyed. She tries to hide it by looks like she's busy with something else.
[22:11:27] <serribon> (that is kinda sad. She's been with the group longer than any of them)
[22:11:36] * Acadia considers carefully a few moments more, then turns back to the others. "We will go. I need to see...."
[22:11:56] <acadia> (Poor Brrk!)
[22:13:28] * Vargas asks Brrk, "You too, Brrk. Did Ibram speak to you? What is your decision? If we survive, I can take you anywhere you wish. I could even take you on a one time trip to Ibram and my homeland, but you would never return to this time and place."
[22:13:58] <vargas> "Or, do you wish to continue traveling with Magnus? Or Acadia?"
[22:14:38] * Acadia looks at Brrk.
[22:14:39] <d_m> Brrk blinks at Vargas, and then looks at Ibram wide-eyed. "You said no could go with!"
[22:14:46] <serribon> (nobody wants to travel with Serri)
[22:14:59] <vargas> (You don't have the ability to cast the 1 way spell)
[22:15:06] <solaire> <ibram> "I did, but if you want to go to my land you can... I guess. BUt everyone there might try to kill you."
[22:16:06] <acadia> (so lonely....)
[22:16:12] <vargas> (hah, Brrk is the monster option in Ibram's heretical harem)
[22:17:05] * Magnus_ reaches into his cloak and pulls out a small letter with a wax seal on it. The letter has been folded into a three by two inch parcel. He hands it to Ibram. "She probably doesn't trust me much...but you can give it to her." He looks at Brrk. "It's in case you decide to stay...it's good for sanctuary if you should ever need it."
[22:17:41] <d_m> Brrk bites her lip with seemingly hundreds of little pointy teeth.
[22:17:43] * Magnus_ says to her, "There is an address in the letter that you can go to. A name is there also..they will help you if you give them the letter."
[22:18:19] <d_m> Brrk looks at Magnus, and then at the rest of the team. "They try to kill Brrk everywhere. Now."
[22:18:32] <magnus_> "Not there."
[22:18:47] <d_m> She looks down at the floor and kind of digs her foot into it for a moment.
[22:18:51] * Magnus_ points to the letter.
[22:19:27] <acadia> "People won't try to kill you where I go, but animals might."
[22:19:51] <magnus_> "I kept the gnoll off you before. I'll do it again."
[22:20:05] <vargas> "Shh, let her think."
[22:20:49] <d_m> "Brrk doesn't know!" she says finally. "Not a goblin. Not a goblin!" she squeaks, and then she runs out of the room!
[22:21:05] <solaire> <ibram> "Huh?"
[22:21:09] <d_m> All right, enough of that for the moment. The rest of you accept your binding?
[22:21:15] <solaire> (Lol polymorph her into a human or something.)
[22:21:18] <d_m> Then let it be done.
[22:21:43] <vargas> (Do we act it out?)
[22:21:48] <magnus_> "She's been from them too long I guess, Ibram."
[22:22:13] <d_m> Vargas, you are able to take delivery of the necessaries by dead drop. You can find an out of the way corner in which to perform the ritual. Describe it, quickly, if you would.
[22:22:25] <solaire> <ibram> "Been from what too long?"
[22:22:43] <d_m> He meant been away from them too long.
[22:22:56] <solaire> <ibram> "Uh... can you turn her into a human?"
[22:23:04] <solaire> <ibram> "Then she'd not have as many problems."
[22:23:09] <magnus_> "Other goblins. She's part of the team now."
[22:23:15] <magnus_> "No. I can't."
[22:23:23] <solaire> <ibram> '"Oh."
[22:24:30] <acadia> "Why can't she come, too?"
[22:24:47] <solaire> <ibram> "I didn't kow we could take her."
[22:24:50] <vargas> The next morning Vargas calls Magnus and Acadia after breakfast. He's cleared the floor of the room at the spy house since it's the only private place he knows in town that would let him perform the ritual. The floor has been marked with chalk. Stars, circles, ovals and polygons written in Draconic script. Nickel chalices filled with minty oils are placed at key points with pieces of...
[22:24:50] <vargas> ...quartz floating in the inky blackness.
[22:25:41] <vargas> "A king's ransom in quartz just floats in the pools of black oil."
[22:25:50] <vargas> "Magnus, please step forward."
[22:26:03] * Magnus_ does as he's told.
[22:26:12] * Vargas begins the incantation.
[22:26:16] <vargas> (GM has the wheel)
[22:27:21] <vargas> (FYI, we have 2 whump spells. 1 is a one way trip that has to be cast on a target just before the whump takes us home)
[22:27:30] <vargas> (The second is the permanent binding.)
[22:27:36] <d_m> Vargas begins the incantation. It is long and intricate, involving lots of strange material components being mixed, spread, scattered, dissolved, and so forth, while the right words are spoken and the right gestures and drawings are made.
[22:27:46] <d_m> The marks on the floor become steadily more intricate.
[22:29:29] <d_m> Other than that, though, it all feels very unremarkable, Magnus. You'd expect things to get shaking, or weird noises and echoes to arise. Maybe the room to darken.
[22:29:46] <d_m> But nothing. Just a guy in a pointy hat looking kind of silly doing all of these hocus pocus stuff.
[22:29:51] <d_m> And then all at once, he's done.
[22:29:56] <vargas> (if it wasn't for all the previous displays of spellcraft, you'd think he was a huckster)
[22:30:22] <d_m> And then suddenly the room explodes.
[22:30:25] <d_m> Like, not literally.
[22:30:27] <solaire> <ibram> "FUCK>"
[22:32:15] <d_m> But literally, from your perspective, the room seems to shoot away from you, but in all directions at once. You are careening through... not space. Not even time, really. Just experience. It roars around you. It's beyond images and sounds. It's the very fabric of the universe tearing itself apart and spilling the entirety of its existence into the gaping hole which you seem to occupy--and then it's done, and you stand where you s
[22:32:18] <d_m> And THEN the room explodes.
[22:32:22] <d_m> THUMP.
[22:32:34] <solaire> <ibram> "SHIT."
[22:33:01] <d_m> Every onlooker is struck by a tremendous concussion that blows out all the windows, knocks over all the chairs, breaks most of the breakables, and generally leaves the place looking like it got hit by a pressure bomb.
[22:33:21] * Acadia flinches, ducking and looking around.
[22:33:29] <d_m> Ears are left ringing, deafened. Bodies bruised. The breath knocked out of each of you.
[22:33:46] <d_m> But everything settles down. Cool! Just one more to go, then.
[22:33:58] * Vargas loses his hat. He mutters from the ground, "Gott, it's been a while since I've experienced that. You never get used to a Whump."
[22:34:46] * Magnus_ looks slightly greener than normal. He says as he makes his way off, "I need something hard to drink."
[22:34:49] <vargas> "Ugh, give me a bit to redraw everything. Acadia, your turn."
[22:35:36] * Acadia tries to look stone-faced, but is clearly a little shaken. She steps up.
[22:38:07] <d_m> Acadia, same story, except for you the waiting is so much worse. He just draws and incants and incants and draws, and you have to stand there, wondering when at any moment he might finish, and what it's going to feel like from the epicenter.
[22:38:55] * Acadia breaths deeply and slowly, some nervous tears creeping into the corners of her eyes, but she blinks them back as much as possible.
[22:40:29] * Magnus_ can be heard in another room, clearly feeling ill. He slowly makes his way back to the group.
[22:40:44] <d_m> And then he's done. He stands up and gives you that look like, well, it should happen any moment n--BLAMO! MADNESS! CHAOS! Tumbling, rushing. Screeching beyond sound, careening beyond sight. Existence itself going to pieces around you and then slamming together again like the end of the universe in reverse. THUMP! All the onlookers are bowled over again. In the next room, the pressure wave spills magnus's drink.
[22:40:51] <d_m> All down his shirt.
[22:41:26] <d_m> And with that done, the time has come.
[22:41:53] * Acadia walks away, a bit shakily. She looks at V, "Petite now?"
[22:41:59] <vargas> "Yes."
[22:42:10] <d_m> Petite looks at you and then turns and heads for the door.
[22:42:25] * Acadia calls to Petite.
[22:42:49] <acadia> ,roll 1d20+11 (handle animal)
[22:42:49] <clockwork> Acadia, (handle animal): 30:19+11
[22:42:57] <d_m> Petite looks back at Acadia, doing the best crocodilian approximation of that look your dog gives you when he knows you're telling him to come because you want to take him to the vet.
[22:43:23] <d_m> He is powerless to argue with Drama Dice, though, and he sulks and slithers into the epicenter.
[22:43:42] * Acadia does her best to assure him that he is safe and it will all be over soon.
[22:44:28] * Vargas begins the ritual to create Petite, the Time Gator.
[22:44:59] <magnus_> (Will he eventually look like Leatherhead from the teenage mutant ninja turtles?)
[22:46:15] <acadia> (Beast Gator!)
[22:46:16] <d_m> And so it comes to pass that an alligator has the most incomprehensible experience any alligator has ever experienced, after which, and after the room explodes yet again (Ibram is running out of four letter words at this point), Petite... gets over it. Because he's an alligator, and doesn't have long term memory or deep philosphical thoughts.
[22:46:48] <d_m> Spot checks right quick.
[22:46:55] <vargas> ,roll 1d20+17
[22:46:57] <clockwork> Vargas: 23:6+17
[22:47:17] <magnus_> roll 1d20+5
[22:47:18] <acadia> ,roll 1d20+14
[22:47:18] <clockwork> Acadia: 25:11+14
[22:47:31] <magnus_> ,roll 1d20+5
[22:47:32] <clockwork> Magnus_: 24:19+5
[22:48:19] <d_m> Fails all around.
[22:48:21] <d_m> Moving on!
[22:48:38] <magnus_> (awww...that was the best spot check I've ever had)
[22:48:42] * Vargas tries to find something to drape over the windows.
[22:48:51] <vargas> (is it worth APing?)
[22:48:55] <d_m> Nah.
[22:49:07] <d_m> Vargas, you have a spot on a map. The shopping is done. The gear is ready.
[22:49:38] <d_m> (It was just a spot check to spot Brrk watching the ceremony from a hiding place and having the gravity of her choice escalated a bit.)
[22:49:56] <d_m> How do you get there, team?
[22:49:58] <vargas> "Okay, just enough slots for three teleports to get us to the monastery. Then, we ride."
[22:50:09] <d_m> And so it comes to pass.
[22:50:24] <vargas> (We ride for a day, then we shadow walk. And ride some more. Unless we crest the hill!)
[22:50:45] <d_m> What's the duration on your Shadow Walk?
[22:51:02] <vargas> 11 hours. 50 miles per hour.
[22:51:47] <d_m> With five heavy duty spells, Vargas moves the entire team to the once benighted monastery on Queen's Bay. The survivors of its Clergy are happy to see you, though nervous about the portents of your arrival. They are happier, thus, to give you horses and send you on your way.
[22:52:20] <d_m> Shadow Walk should have enough capacity for horses, too, right? So you can ride into the spell?
[22:52:28] <d_m> If a couple of you double up?
[22:52:40] <d_m> And Acadia downsizes her pet.
[22:52:54] <vargas> (I can take 1 creature per lvl, so 11. No size stipulation like teleport.)
[22:52:56] <acadia> *Petite has been downsized)
[22:53:21] <vargas> (V, I, S, A, M, Br)
[22:53:35] <vargas> (Br can double with Ibby)
[22:53:48] <vargas> (four horses?)
[22:54:03] <d_m> And Acadia can double with V.
[22:54:07] <d_m> Acadia and Petite can.
[22:54:11] <d_m> So easy fit.
[22:54:12] <acadia> Fa sho.
[22:54:36] <d_m> You ride. North, and then you break east, away from the coast. You leave roads behind you, and go into the wilds.
[22:54:47] <serribon> (is each shadow walker shunted out in a random direction at the end, or do we all appear in the same location?)
[22:55:20] <d_m> You will each be randomly shunted a small distance. Some regroup will be necessary, but it's trivial.
[22:56:13] <vargas> (For bards, this spell would be renamed the Moonwalk.)
[22:56:27] <magnus_> (shunted into a dragon's mouth)
[22:56:33] <acadia> (lolz)
[22:57:23] <d_m> And Vargas casts his spell. He has told you about it, but he hasn't really told you about it. Planar travel... This isn't quite, but it's close. It's flirting with Planar travel, and it is deadly dangerous.
[22:58:07] <vargas> "Guys, no matter what you need to stay near me. I don't know what this is going to be like."
[22:58:21] <d_m> The shunting at the end doesn't even begin to worry him. What worries him is what should happen if one of you strays. All he says is "Don't," because he doesn't actually know what would happen. Horrors beyond imagination lie that way.
[22:59:11] <d_m> And suddenly weirdness is around you. The world darkens. It warps in strange ways. The grass bends against the breeze, and then it ripples. And then the breeze bends against the grass, and that just ain't right. Clouds form where there was clear sky, and seem to coexist with clear sky.
[22:59:39] <d_m> Off to your right, you can see light, like a clear day in the distance, at the far edge of a storm. Off to your left, there is darkness, like the deepest thunderclouds, or night itself.
[22:59:48] * Acadia looks around cautiously, holding tight to Petite and Vargas.
[22:59:50] <d_m> You find that you are on a path, where there were no paths.
[23:00:18] <vargas> "On the other side is the Plane of Shadow. It is a dead mirror of reality. A place of never was, could have been, and will never be."
[23:00:29] <vargas> "It is the source of all illusionary magic."
[23:00:31] <serribon> "Well. This can't be good. Have you done this before?{"
[23:00:33] <d_m> It winds precariously. At times you feel as though you are walking the edge of a cliff. At other times, following a faint trail through a dense forest.
[23:00:45] <d_m> Have you done this before, Vargas? Do tell!
[23:01:14] <d_m> There is silence about. Deep silence. The breeze tries to make a sound, and some antibreeze stifles it.
[23:01:22] <vargas> "No. I have never done this before because I am too afraid. I know almost nothing about the world on the other side of the path."
[23:01:56] <d_m> And then you do hear things. In the depths of that silence you hear the call of a bird, a raven squawking. It is wrong, somehow. A graveyard squawk. An ill sound.
[23:02:00] <serribon> "Wonderful."
[23:02:14] * Acadia glares in the direction of the sound
[23:02:28] <d_m> You hear things occasionally moving in the grass, on the dark side of the path. Sometimes near at hand.
[23:02:46] <d_m> You hear a grim call of some unknown beast, far back in the shadows and forest.
[23:03:17] <vargas> "I've read rumors that the Plane of Shadow is also tied to negative energy, and spirits of undeath. Fitting for a realm of unreality that desires nothing more than to be real."
[23:03:36] <d_m> You hear the breeze at last--no, a breeze. A breeze of its own kind, moving somewhere over there. Pushing through the unnatural wood like a creature. It never quite reaches you.
[23:04:04] <d_m> Vargas, the way grows faint. You'd best end it. Get out while the getting's good. You are close enough.
[23:04:05] * Acadia whispers, "Then… does the monster live there? The one that was eating at Mirum?"
[23:04:38] <vargas> "Everyone, hold hands. I am going to end the spell."
[23:04:58] * Vargas answers Miriam, "I don't know."
[23:05:01] * Serribon does so.
[23:05:05] * Magnus_ dares a glance into the darkness as he takes the person next to him by the hand.
[23:05:31] * Vargas ends the spell while focusing on terrestrial Earth.
[23:05:58] <vargas> (or at least I end it when narratively desirable)
[23:08:04] <d_m> You end it. You keep riding, and ride away from the shadow world. It receeds. It draws back. Not retreating, so much as being dragged away, still reaching for you. Little tendrils of it linger, under bushes, inside hollow logs. Soon, though, you are in a natural forest, and much relieved to hear a songbird chirp.
[23:08:43] * Acadia lets out a breath.
[23:08:48] <d_m> You are close. Aerial scouts, Vargas.
[23:09:13] <vargas> "Acadia, do you want to take a look take our bearings?"
[23:09:17] * Acadia nods. j
[23:09:39] <acadia> *Hawk form, go!*
[23:10:18] * Acadia leaps into the air, landing mid-flight and soars up toward the sky
[23:11:30] <vargas> (sorry, work called again. David is /still/ tinkering even though we aren't deploying tonight anymore.)
[23:12:15] <d_m> You spot it, Acadia, after a few hours of soaring. A fortress of wood and stone, perched on the hillside, surrounded by a high wooden pallisade with a makeshift wall-walk along its rim.
[23:13:03] * Acadia flies carefully in for a closer look. She'll look for the chapel-thing that they were discussing, and any other major buildings. She'll gather as much information as she can safely before returning.
[23:13:43] <d_m> Done, Acadia.
[23:14:03] <d_m> You can also get a feel for their scouts and patrols.
[23:14:47] <acadia> Sweet. Can she get close enough to hear anything major?
[23:14:49] <d_m> And so, team, you are there. How do you make your approach?
[23:15:09] <d_m> Not really audio, beyond the occasional shouted command or "All's well!" from the sentries.
[23:15:10] <vargas> (Is everyone still here? People have gone quiet)
[23:15:21] <d_m> They're fading, but we're only doing the ingress tonight.
[23:15:29] <d_m> I just need to know what your method is.
[23:15:59] <vargas> [We should proceed from here on foot. Serribon, your advice?]
[23:16:15] <serribon> (How specific can the Seeming spell get? Maybe ambush a patrol and return as them?)
[23:16:59] <serribon> (and that would depend on what Acadia brings back)
[23:17:09] <vargas> (It's a mass disguise self. +10 to your disguise roll. Doing specific people isn't good. Being someone you aren't but nobody specific, it's great.)
[23:17:29] <serribon> (a'ight.)
[23:17:39] <serribon> [You still plan to walk through a wall?]
[23:17:57] <acadia> (A's got patrols, landmarks/major buildings, general layout of compound)
[23:18:08] <vargas> [Yeah.]
[23:18:09] <d_m> What Acadia brings back is that they have a picket line of sentries and patrols to prevent a major force from approaching them by surprised, but this is a small operation. For a small team, there are holes for stealth, or opportunities to use Seeming to get close.
[23:18:24] <d_m> The downside of Seeming here is that it's a small enough operation that everyone probably knows everyone.
[23:18:33] <d_m> So a generic disguise wont' last long.
[23:18:41] <d_m> It could get you to the door, though.
[23:18:43] <d_m> As could sneaking.
[23:18:50] * Acadia also has stone shape and soften earth and stone prepped
[23:19:05] <serribon> (if most of the party weren't stealthy as a hurricane)
[23:19:44] <solaire> <ibram> "Get to the door, teleport, and then we pursue our plan as per discussed, I think."
[23:19:57] <magnus_> (Like Durkon from OOTS)
[23:20:47] <vargas> [Why don't we approach by foot under Seeming. We'll look like a patrol at a distance, especially at night. We can close to the wall, break line of sight to wall sentries, and just step in. Invis sphere if we have to. Once inside, Ibram's plan goes.]
[23:21:16] <serribon> [That's probably as good as we can hope for.]
[23:22:07] <solaire> [works for me]
[23:22:46] <vargas> [Then we rest, and I prepare my spells for the assault.]
[23:23:09] <d_m> You time the approach for after sundown. Spells prepped. As rested as you can manage. You gather together and leave most of the horses in a safe place, hidden from even the outermost patrols. Vargas casts his spell, and the veil of deceit settles upon you.
[23:24:25] <d_m> It won't stand up to close scrutiny. You all look at Acadia and see a bearer boy, carrying water and arrows, and accompanied by his trusty dog. But because you know what you should see, you can glimpse it. The gnome. The decidedly not-dog.
[23:24:34] <d_m> It will do for the enemy, though. It will get you close enough.
[23:25:57] <d_m> Staying away from the other patrols, using Acadia's information, and eventually her scouting as a bird to find the open way, you are able to come out of the woods on the road, and approach the gate as if you are just another rover team returning unscheduled.
[23:28:51] <d_m> "Hey!" calls the sentry from on high. The language is a rough, archaic form of yours, Vargas and Ibram. "Who's that? Any trouble?"
[23:29:45] * Vargas answers the way Acadia mentioned, "All clear."
[23:29:59] <solaire> <ibram> *shakes his head, letting V do the talking*
[23:30:09] <vargas> (I thought we were going to an unmanned portion of the wall?)
[23:30:44] <d_m> I thought you were using the seeming to get to the wall. They have wall walk sentries, so you were not going to be able to actually get all the way to the wall unspotted.
[23:31:02] <vargas> (oh, in that case proceed)
[23:31:03] <d_m> The seeming gets you up to it without a fight or an alarm. Now you just have to get through it.
[23:31:30] <d_m> "You're not expected! Who is that?" Sense Motive.
[23:31:44] <vargas> ,roll 1d20+17
[23:31:44] <clockwork> Vargas: 25:8+17
[23:32:03] <d_m> He sounds like he's starting to get suspicious.
[23:32:34] <d_m> Like he might any moment turn to look for his supervisor, at least.
[23:32:36] <vargas> (okay, range? Does he have a buddy up there?)
[23:33:11] <d_m> Not immediately at his side, but he's in view of folks.
[23:33:40] <vargas> "Get to the wall."
[23:33:53] * Vargas grabs Serribon and Ibram, and dimension steps them behind the dude.
[23:34:07] <d_m> Puff.
[23:34:09] <d_m> End scene.
[23:34:17] <d_m> And so it begins.
[23:36:49] <vargas> (Bill's going to get a lot of battle barding)
[23:36:49] =-= D_M is now known as Ancient
[23:36:54] =-= YOU are now known as Gerhal
[23:37:22] =-= Acadia is now known as Sirens
[23:37:23] =-= Serribon is now known as Rivet_
[23:37:26] <ancient> AAAAH. Man. I feel like it has taken forever just to get to this point. I can't thank you all enough for bearing with. Clear your Sundays! Two more!
[23:37:36] <ancient> We need two solid sundays of work to finish this.
[23:38:26] <gerhal> Ibby and Serribon silence this dude. I jump down, and then I can get the others through the wall.
[23:38:31] <gerhal> Good start.
[23:38:41] <rivet_> I'll do what I can. My co-worker owes me a second week doing double sunday, but I can't say what the week after will bring.
[23:38:50] <ancient> Ok.
[23:39:03] <ancient> We'll make it happen. One way or another.
[23:39:23] <sirens> I'll be good for next Sunday.
[23:39:29] <sirens> I'll do my utter best for the next.
[23:42:04] <ancient> That's all we can do, is try.
[23:43:32] <gerhal> Giving session log to Serribon

05MAY13

Clockwork Rivet