10MAY13

[23:49:40] =-= User mode for Gerhal is now +i
[23:49:42] -->| YOU (Gerhal) have joined #beyondshadowrun
[23:49:47] <magnus_> "I've studied it for a while and I think I figured it out...while it's almost too miniscule to be a weapon it might be some form of kitchen cutlery."
[23:49:57] -->| Clockwork (~Clockwork@c-24-30-63-2.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[23:50:09] <gerhal> (Roll for HP if you haven't already)
[23:50:10] <dm> (Clearly, it is intended as a toilet aid.)
[23:50:26] <magnus_> "Perhaps you eat with it...I can't imagine turning a steak on the flames with a silver fork."
[23:50:33] <serribon> (well, they *did* eat alot of meat back in the day)
[23:51:21] <magnus_> "But who knows..I figure if they jewler hasn't ever seen one, they might be persuaded to heft a good price for it."
[23:52:18] <magnus_> (Is that supposed to be some red meat toilet humor? heh)
[23:52:19] <serribon> "Well, yes... of course you eat with it. I've got a dining fork in my mess kit. But, seriously - why four points? It's so... decadently pointless. You're not hefting tiny bales of hay."
[23:52:51] <dm> (They figured eating four peas at a time instead of three was more efficient.)
[23:53:04] * Serribon reflects on this, "Though who knows where it came from. Perhaps they were."
[23:53:09] <dm> Also, you are shocked, Magnus. Serribon has a fork? WTF!
[23:53:34] * Magnus_ shrugs. "So that is...wait! You have one too??"
[23:53:37] <serribon> "But yes, this is probably the sort of thing a wealthy person would be interested in."
[23:55:33] <magnus_> "When did you get a fork?"
[23:55:42] <serribon> "Yes. All civilized people eat with cutlery. Even if it's just wood." He pulls a weird bit of ironmongery out of his travel pouch. It looks like this: http://regmedia.co.uk/2010/11/08/fw2.jpg
[23:55:53] * Magnus_ eyes the half-elf curiously.
[23:56:55] * Magnus_ examines the mechanism in the man's hands. "So you could help to sell this silver one?"
[23:56:57] <dm> Magnus, a fork is definitely lost technology in your time.
[23:57:16] <magnus_> (Is this fork about the size of a crab fork?)
[23:57:20] <dm> This little traveller's multitool is just... over the top ridonkulus.
[23:57:47] <dm> Your fork is more of a salad fork, if I recall.
[23:57:58] <serribon> (more pictures with a scale next to it: http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/search/cataloguedetail.html?&priref=70534#4)
[23:58:34] <serribon> (yeah, it was. It looks much more like a modern fork than an antique)
[23:58:50] <dm> The point is, you may be inclined to wonder what other forgotten wonders the ancients took for granted. Its your first real experience with the weirdness of time travel. The realization that Serribon really is an alien from a past age.
[23:59:02] <magnus_> (200 AD. Well that's just cool.)
[23:59:26] <serribon> "Maybe? I don't know much about trade. Vargas would be a better asset."
[23:59:43] <magnus_> "But you do know what it is."
[00:00:09] <serribon> "Vaguely. I mean, yes, you eat with it. But I don't know what."
[00:00:28] <serribon> "Or perhaps it's a pixie weapon. Who can say?"
[00:01:18] <serribon> "But I suppose I am suitably exotic that we can claim its whatever we want."
[00:02:05] * Magnus_ hrmms and eyes the little instrument, turning it this way and that as he looks it over. He looks over at the multi-tool. "What's that round disc?
[00:02:07] <magnus_> "
[00:02:38] <serribon> "... It's a spoon. You eat soup and stew with it."
[00:03:02] <serribon> "Sometimes fruit-ice, if you're lucky."
[00:03:39] * Magnus_ nods, "Ah! yes I see...the curve would be well suited for a liquid." He looks at the other items in the tool and then at his own fork, "Would you be willing to part with a small amount of gold if I can't barter this for as much as i would like to cover the expenses of the ring?"
[00:04:04] <dm> Spoons are a little more familiar to you, Magnus, but in your experience they've always been big wooden things, also well suited to rapping knuckles.
[00:04:13] <serribon> "Certainly. It's a good idea, and it isn't as if we're suffering from a shortage."
[00:05:33] <magnus_> Those young clergy just never listen in class.
[00:05:42] <dm> Fast forward to the shop?
[00:05:57] <magnus_> Magnus is going to pick up an apple on the way there.
[00:06:06] <dm> Roger.
[00:07:45] <dm> The shopkeep looks from the one of you to the other and back again. "Well, you do make a handsome couple, I suppose." She purses her lips for a moment and then shrugs. "I'm an elf. I don't judge. 60 gold for the rush job, though. Did you want an inscription? That's extra."
[00:08:07] <serribon> (hah)
[00:08:14] <magnus_> (well done)
[00:09:01] |<-->
[00:09:09] -->| Ancient_ (~Ancient@ip98-166-217-172.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[00:09:56] * Magnus_ smiles, "You're such a charmer" He winks at her, "But no...just two simple rings will do." He places the apple and the cloth wrapped fork on the counter, "Would you be willing to barter?"
[00:11:19] <ancient_> "Ooooh, peculiar. But what is it? Some kind of mouse-guard trident--no, it has four tines. Why does it have four tines?" The elf woman looks suddenly suspicious. "This some kind of outworlder witchcraft?"
[00:11:47] <ancient_> "You can't have a quadrant. It just isn't done! Even among mice."
[00:11:54] =-= Ancient_ is now known as DM
[00:12:33] <serribon> "It is for a more efficient transport of food to the mouth. You can get four peas on it at once."
[00:13:36] * Magnus_ draws out his dagger and cuts the apple into small bite sized slices. He sheathes it and demonstrates the fork by sticking it into a slice and picking it up. He eats the slice without ever having to touch it with his hands. "And you keep yourself clean. Imagine the possibilities you could do with such an invention. You could set a whole new trend in ..
[00:13:42] <magnus_> the upper class world."
[00:14:12] <magnus_> "You'd have the prestige lined up outside your door."
[00:14:39] <dm> "My various gods! It's brilliant! And /sanitary/. Where ever did you find such a thing?"
[00:15:05] <serribon> (dont' say "in a pile of gargoyle poop")
[00:15:22] <dm> (and sanitary!)
[00:15:35] <magnus_> "I wouldn't doubt it if they'd even travel all the way from Akor for this." He tssks at her "I can't quite say. But I can say that it is the only one I have ever seen..."
[00:16:29] <magnus_> "You could make history with this one purchase, my dear lady."
[00:16:30] <dm> "Give it here, boy!" says the elf woman, donning her jeweler's loop for a closer examination.
[00:17:19] * Magnus_ looks skeptical at her, but then hands it over.
[00:17:31] <dm> "Oh my. Such intricacy. Such refinement! And very old. A simple, elegant idea, lost to the ages. Probably elfish in origin. How much we've forgotten."
[00:17:47] <dm> "I'll do you ten gold for it."
[00:19:05] <magnus_> "It is one of a kind...and an extremely rare antique."
[00:19:24] * Magnus_ feigns a debate on this.
[00:19:37] <dm> "All right, 12 gold, and a free inscription on your rings, but that's twisting my arm."
[00:20:07] <magnus_> "I could be losing out on dreams of fame with this."
[00:20:18] <gerhal> (This is so funny)
[00:21:07] <dm> "Look here, sonny, you want your rings or not? I'm offering you a bargain. Rush job, free inscription, practically at cost."
[00:22:35] <serribon> "Make it fifteen, and scrap the inscription."
[00:22:53] <dm> "Fine! Done."
[00:23:17] <magnus_> "Done."
[00:23:43] <dm> She snatches the fork from Magnus. "You can pick up your rings in the morning. Blessings on the union and all that."
[00:24:51] * Magnus_ picks up another slice of apple with his finger tips and pops it into his mouth. "I'll have a note about that fifteen gold before I go."
[00:25:42] <dm> "I'll take it out of your bill." She quickly drafts an invoice.
[00:26:19] <dm> Done?
[00:26:25] <magnus_> done.
[00:26:31] <serribon> sure
[00:26:35] =-= DM is now known as Ancient_
[00:26:39] * Ancient_ snickers.
[00:26:40] =-= Serribon is now known as Rivet_
[00:27:02] =-= Magnus_ is now known as nacht
[00:27:21] <nacht> He'll still be 4 gold short.
[00:27:23] <ancient_> Also, Riv, Acadia wants to have a chitchat with Serribon before next game. Retroactive to when you and she were left behind in Akor.
[00:27:57] <rivet_> I'm working tomorrow night, but if she can/wants to do so tonight, I'm free.
[00:29:26] <ancient_> I'll text her. We'll see.
[00:30:39] <gerhal> That's cool. Acadia hasn't requested a one on one with anyone yet.
[00:31:13] <rivet_> Yeah she has. She and Serri did that break-in at the gnome magic shop.
[00:31:15] <nacht> Actually, Magnus needs to talk with Vargas too.
[00:31:30] <gerhal> Well that I can do, here and now.
[00:32:03] <nacht> Cool
[00:32:21] =-= YOU are now known as Vargas
[00:32:34] =-= nacht is now known as Magnus_
[00:32:34] <vargas> *BAMF* A wild wizard appears.
[00:33:38] * Magnus_ knocks on the door to V's quarters.
[00:34:12] <vargas> "Mmm?" *ruffling scroll paper* "Come in." *ruffle explosion*
[00:35:33] * Magnus_ enters, "Evening, Vargas." He hands him a glass of honey spirits. "Preparing for the assault?"
[00:36:19] <ancient_> (She may have a chance to pop on.)
[00:36:20] * Vargas blinks and pushes the glasses on his nose back into position. "Yes." He slides a mortar and pestle aside.
[00:36:31] <rivet_> (kay)
[00:38:10] <magnus_> "I have found a method that will allow me to take some of any damage that may fall upon you. I will have the main components in the morning. There is one condition to them though."
[00:38:24] <vargas> "Oh?"
[00:39:41] <magnus_> "We will need to stay within fifty feet of each other for the spell to continue to work. It is a shield for you and will last for ten hours. I figured since we will be working together according to the plan Ibram laid out and I can heal..it would be better for the situation."
[00:40:46] <vargas> "Fifty feet. Okay. You might want to wait until we get inside the wall since I might have to dimension door Ibram or Serribon on to a wall sentry. After that, there is no splitting up."
[00:41:27] <magnus_> "But I have another request once this is over. I'd like to get some enhancements onto my mace."
[00:41:56] * Vargas grins. "Then you have come to the right man. What kinds of enchantments?"
[00:43:08] <rivet_> (http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/things-youll-find-funny-if-youre-british)
[00:43:17] <magnus_> "As you could tell by my sling I need a better throwing weapon, but a mace is generally not designed for that. Is there a way to make it more manuverable in that aspect so that I can fling it to someone as if it were a throwing hammer? I want an automatic return to my hand once it hits it's target as well."
[00:44:59] * Vargas hmmmms. "Hmm. A throwing mace. A returning motion."
[00:45:18] <vargas> "Well, I made a flying carpet once. I think I can come up with something."
[00:46:21] <vargas> "But..."
[00:46:23] <vargas> "Hmm."
[00:46:44] <vargas> "Making your mace throwable, and making it return would be two seperate functions."
[00:46:56] <vargas> "It would be easier if it was a hammer to start with."
[00:47:04] * Vargas shrugs.
[00:47:20] <vargas> (+1 for throwing, +1 for returning)
[00:48:08] <magnus_> "So having a master throwing hammer would be better in this case?"
[00:48:28] <vargas> "Better, no. Just cheaper."
[00:49:01] <vargas> (What's your mace right now?)
[00:49:43] |<-->
[00:50:04] <magnus_> (Master Work +1 Heavy Frost Mace)
[00:50:24] <vargas> Adding throwing and return would make it a +4 weapon.
[00:51:02] <vargas> 12k to enchant
[00:51:57] <magnus_> (I wonder what the price on the hammer would be)
[00:54:01] <vargas> (actually, a decent hammer has no throwing increment either)
[00:54:15] <vargas> (light throwing hammers are only 1d4 dmg, which is sucky)
[00:54:42] <magnus_> (Heck..the sling does that.)
[00:55:30] <vargas> (The heaviest throwing weapon is a trident, haha)
[00:57:15] <magnus_> (Heck of a weapon...I've always liked tridents.)
[01:00:07] <magnus_> (I was thinking the multi-funtion of the mace in that area though. Plus, one less weapon to have to carry around...and it would do the frost damage.)
[01:00:12] <rivet_> ("Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident. ")
[01:01:26] <rivet_> (Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?)
[01:01:31] <vargas> (That's true. But remember you are a 3/4 BAB class. Static to hit and dmg means a lot more for you than, say, Ibram. In addition, you can only attack once per round with a throw hammer.)
[01:01:43] <vargas> (ranged increment is only 10 feet too)
[01:02:19] <vargas> (+3 lets you bypass cold iron and silver DR too)
[01:02:33] <vargas> (It's less cool. But you'd see it in play more often)
[01:03:08] <magnus_> (So what do you suggest?)
[01:04:07] <magnus_> "Unless you have other suggestions."
[01:04:07] <vargas> (What will you enjoy more? Throwing is cool. But I know you've reported feeling like you don't hit hard enough)
[01:04:45] <magnus_> (True..but a long range weapon is always useful.)
[01:05:22] <vargas> (Well, think of it this way. each +1 is x2 expensive right?)
[01:05:25] <rivet_> (wand of flame strike or is that too high a level?)
[01:05:34] <vargas> (So +4 weapon = 2 +3)
[01:06:27] <vargas> (I could make your mace +2 frost, and another throwing weapon as +2 returning, or another non-throwing +1 throwing returning)
[01:07:06] <vargas> (Do you understand?)
[01:07:12] <magnus_> (yep)
[01:07:31] <vargas> Free to put mace in left hand, move action to draw, standard to throw, free to move mace back in hand.
[01:08:24] <magnus_> (Magnus also has an Adamantium great axe...but I doubt that would have range either)
[01:10:13] <vargas> (You could throw the greataxe, but your shield gets in the way)
[01:11:16] <magnus_> (Well a great axe is a two handed weapon. The shield would get in the way too since Magnus fights with shield and mace. So he would have to sheath the mace, draw the throwing weapons, throw it, and draw the mace again.
[01:11:20] <magnus_> )
[01:11:43] <vargas> (weapon chain the mace to your wrist?)
[01:12:48] <magnus_> (He does have a strap that keeps it near him.)
[01:14:15] <vargas> (Man, I need to go to bed.)
[01:14:24] <vargas> (I will catch you guys tomorrow)
[01:14:59] <magnus_> (Cool. I'll think on the weapons)
[01:31:36] |<-->
[01:36:44] |<-->
[02:11:18] -->| Sirens (~Adium@ip98-181-16-146.br.br.cox.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[02:12:24] |<-->
[10:31:27] [INFO] Disconnecting from IRC. Click close again to exit now.
[10:31:27] [QUIT] Disconnected from irc://irc.esper.net/ (irc://irc.esper.net/). [[Reconnect][Reconnect to irc.esper.net][reconnect]]

10MAY13

Clockwork Rivet