18APR13


[18:22:49] =-= User mode for Gerhal is now +i
[18:22:51] -->| YOU (Gerhal) have joined #beyondshadowrun
[18:23:55] |<-->
[18:24:04] -->| Ancient_ (~Ancient@ip98-166-217-172.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[18:24:11] -->| Clockwork (~Clockwork@c-24-30-63-2.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[18:24:55] <gerhal> Found it
[18:25:03] <gerhal> ,roll 1d20+11 (khist)
[18:25:04] <clockwork> Gerhal, (khist): 17:6+11
[18:32:11] <gerhal> ,roll 1d20+12 (krel)
[18:32:12] <clockwork> Gerhal, (krel): 27:15+12
[18:32:55] <gerhal> ,roll 1d20+11 (khist)
[18:32:56] <clockwork> Gerhal, (khist): 21:10+11
[19:42:03] -->| Nacht (Mibbit@ppp-70-247-174-122.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[19:43:31] <gerhal> Hey Nacho
[19:43:48] <nacht> allo allo
[19:49:55] <gerhal> Hey, are you up to playing anything tonight Nacho?
[19:50:30] <nacht> I'm down with it, yo. Got about an hour or two.
[19:52:37] <gerhal> Rewind back to our time in Sil for chatter then?
[19:52:42] =-= YOU are now known as Vargas
[19:52:49] <nacht> Sure.
[19:53:04] =-= Nacht is now known as Magnus_
[19:55:10] * Magnus_ works on acquiring some honey spirits somewhere in this Elven town.
[19:55:35] * Vargas is sitting hunched over a book one evening. This book once belonged to a wizard whose name, and very dust, now belongs to the wind.
[19:55:55] <vargas> "Any luck finding your honey spirits today, Magnus?"
[19:56:31] <magnus_> "Not yet, maybe those Akor boys are holding out from me. I bet one of them has some. How is the reading?"
[19:57:43] <vargas> "Not bad. Reading someone else's shorthand is very time consuming. There is a lot of overlap in our knowledge, but I'm hoping there are a couple new spells in here."
[19:58:08] * Vargas changes topic, "How much time have you spent with elves, Magnus?"
[19:59:38] * Magnus_ sits down in a comfortable chair, "Roughly three to four years." ... "They're an interesting race."
[20:00:02] <vargas> "How so? What is your impression of them?"
[20:00:34] <magnus_> "Very graceful, I can sense that there is true nature in them. But ...."
[20:00:55] <magnus_> "I don't think they are remembering that it is there."
[20:02:18] <magnus_> "I can imagine they feel a need to stay on track with the Human's that threaten them..that might have something to do with it."
[20:03:10] <vargas> "Then you hypothesize that living in a city like this is against their true nature? That would be a more human thing to do?"
[20:03:59] <magnus_> "Well, this city is not as majestic as Akor. That city is a marvel."
[20:04:27] <magnus_> "This is probably more in line with their natural ways...as compared to Akor."
[20:05:21] <vargas> "I would argue Akor is not an elven city. It's a mishmash populated at least half by goblinoids."
[20:06:03] <magnus_> "Orks are marauding rovers...you wouldn't expect to find them building a city either."
[20:06:03] <vargas> "And even then, it's not a truly goblinoid city either. They didn't build it. They just moved in."
[20:06:32] <magnus_> "They tend to do that."
[20:08:00] * Magnus_ shrugs, "And Goblins are alright for a bunch of conquer and destroy munchkins."
[20:08:29] <vargas> "My ancestors would disagree. Over the next thousand years or so, my ancestors will carve out the land to the north and west. They will take the land from hobgoblin tribes, and push them over the mountains and toward the Icy Wastes."
[20:09:53] <magnus_> "Humans come out on top in the end. They evolve the most."
[20:10:42] <vargas> "That's debatable, I think. We don't rule the world. We haven't even reclaimed what used to be the Andropolean Empire."
[20:11:35] <magnus_> "That once city was ruin."
[20:11:39] <vargas> "That was our height. And then, pbbffft. Lost. History doesn't even remember why they fell."
[20:12:38] <magnus_> "I have found nothing substantial about the fall in my readings."
[20:13:12] * Magnus_ pauses and seems to think for a minute.
[20:14:19] <magnus_> "What can I do to assist you all?"
[20:16:18] <vargas> "I don't know, Magnus. I'm afraid that I may not be able to keep my promise after all this. We've passed the threshold of probability already. And we haven't even an ounce of reagent."
[20:18:07] * Magnus_ hrmmms... "I may see you all again if you are around after your time jump. There are always places I am needed."
[20:19:23] <vargas> "Maybe. And if that is the case, it would be a miracle. There are very few people we have met twice. The Sigilite, Dominos, some of Cassandra's family."
[20:20:17] <magnus_> "I imagine it is thousands of years you will travel"
[20:20:28] <vargas> "I suppose, if we do part ways, all I ask is that you survive to record and preserve as much of the post Cataclysm world you can."
[20:21:18] <vargas> "See if you can't learn why it happened. And learn what you can about the end of Andropolis, and the history of the Horde."
[20:21:19] * Magnus_ sips some water, "And I ask that you take care of the little ones. Acadia and Brrk."
[20:22:06] * Magnus_ nods "I will, I haven't looked into it lately because we have been dealing with Faisal."
[20:22:53] <vargas> "Acadia will survive, I'm sure. She can blend into the endless jungle. As for Brrk, I need to ask her what she wants to do. When we go home, you and Acadia will remain. I don't see her following Acadia."
[20:23:32] <magnus_> "I'll take care of her until she finds her own way."
[20:23:36] <vargas> "She is not our slave. She is free to go where she wants. But I won't bind her to the ka'tet."
[20:25:25] <vargas> "We'll ask her when we get back."
[20:26:22] * Magnus_ nods.
[20:26:42] <vargas> "Is there anything I can do for you, before we go?"
[20:27:06] <vargas> "Even if you are bound, it may be years before the Whump comes again. And without a chrono-device, you won't know how long that will be."
[20:27:37] <magnus_> "Do you all have to find each other again after a Whump?"
[20:29:19] <magnus_> "You will be able to find me if I am still alive through my hair."
[20:29:33] <vargas> "Typically we all get dumped in close proximity."
[20:30:10] <vargas> "Once we were dumped into the middle of an open battlefield, and we all got split up. But that's the exception, and not the rule."
[20:32:19] <magnus_> "I see. If you should find anything about my home village in your travels, or the horde, and the cataclysm. Collect the information and leave it somewhere for me to find."
[20:33:00] * Vargas nods.
[20:35:13] <magnus_> "Do you think Kervics would have what we need for the whump?"
[20:36:11] <vargas> "Maybe. Maybe not. I think it is more likely they do not, and more likely that the elves do."
[20:36:27] <vargas> "If we give them Faisal, I will demand the talisman quartz up front."
[20:36:49] <magnus_> "I don't think the Kervics have much."
[20:36:57] <magnus_> "Agreed."
[20:37:08] <vargas> "Actually, I'd want all of our demands up front because I don't know if we're going to be around to collect in the aftermath."
[20:38:02] <magnus_> "It would probably be an immediate departure."
[20:42:03] <magnus_> "Tell me of this thing attacking Miriam. Serri mentioned it had him once too."
[20:42:54] <vargas> "Ahh. Caleb."
[20:43:27] * Vargas sighs, and closes the spellbook. "What an ordeal."
[20:44:13] <vargas> "I guess I'll start from the beginning. Hal'rada'Quera."
[20:45:03] <vargas> "Hal'rada'Quera is a kingdom that hasn't been born yet. Sort of halfway between this time and mine."
[20:45:18] <vargas> "Sorry, a city in a kingdom."
[20:46:11] <vargas> "Quite a superb city if it was not marred by the practice of slavery. They kept many of your kind as slaves there."
[20:46:29] <vargas> "I digress."
[20:47:10] <vargas> "So, we whumped into the city during a plague of some sort. We were hired by royalty to try to find the root of it."
[20:47:53] <vargas> "The princess who rule there knew us already. She actually loved Ibram, and had a specific item left for Serribon, the "Hunter.""
[20:48:12] * Magnus_ nods as he listens.
[20:48:38] <vargas> "The rod was a simple steel rod. There was almost nothing to it except that it was supposed to be a divining rod of sorts."
[20:49:36] <vargas> "We followed it to a crypt where a ghoul was entombed. We slew it, but nearly died in a fire when the whole place locked shut. Ibram saved us at the very last moment."
[20:50:18] <vargas> "The ghoul was destroyed, but we knew there were more conspirators."
[20:50:44] <vargas> "So when returned, and when we did we found the princess was dead and the castle was in disorder."
[20:51:10] * Vargas pauses in his story for a moment.
[20:51:47] * Vargas presses his face into his hands. "I'm sorry. It's hard to remember the next part of this story because it still gets to me."
[20:52:06] <magnus_> "You don't have to tell it."
[20:52:24] <vargas> "No, I must. You have to understand the magnitude of it."
[20:53:00] <vargas> "I think we whumped home. Yes, we whumped home. And then, later, we whumped back to the city on almost the same night."
[20:53:31] <vargas> "The plague had gotten worse. Much much worse."
[20:53:41] <magnus_> "Two rapid whumps?"
[20:54:06] <vargas> "No. There was time between the two. We just returned to nearly the moment we left."
[20:54:42] * Magnus_ nods at this.
[20:54:57] <vargas> "Do you have any experience with the undead?"
[20:56:11] <magnus_> "Some. I've experienced quite a lot...as you can see I've even spoken to them."
[20:58:27] <vargas> A deep sadness wells in Vargas' face. "The city died, Magnus. The dead rose, and the dead ate everyone last standing. We fought the dead, we fought survivors, and we fought slaves that had broken free in the chaos. We fled. We escaped the castle, and ran the rooftops while the city ate itself. Every last man, woman, and child. A City of the Dead."
[21:00:11] * Magnus_ looks saddened suddenly. "Such a loss."
[21:01:28] * Vargas sighs. "Moving on. The hunting rod was useless for the most part after the first night. And then Serribon began to experience blackouts. He couldn't remember spots in his life, and then find strange impulsive things in their place."
[21:02:02] <vargas> "Over time it got worse. He would experience hallucinations, and start self-mutilation. He had fantasies of killing Miriam."
[21:02:41] <vargas> "The demon came from that hunting rod, and I'm certain it was responsible for destroying that city."
[21:02:57] <magnus_> "Did the princess know it was there?"
[21:03:34] <vargas> "We don't know. Even when I knew the demon had Serribon, it was impossible to prove it by divination. It is very good at hiding itself."
[21:04:07] <magnus_> "It
[21:04:22] <magnus_> "It's strange that I saw it through my Divination."
[21:04:35] <vargas> "It's different this time. It's not trying to hide itself."
[21:04:53] <magnus_> (he does actually have good luck with that spell, but the answers are hazy)
[21:05:20] <magnus_> "Which means it's not scared of you all at all.
[21:05:22] <magnus_> "
[21:05:24] <vargas> "In its own way, it was subtle with its corruption of Serribon. It has forsaken all subtlety with Miriam. It seems to have some special enmity for her."
[21:05:51] <magnus_> "What is her power that would frighten it so?"
[21:06:49] <vargas> "It doesn't frighten it. Nothing any human can do would frighten something like Caleb. This demon is an outsider that stands someplace in the far realms. We're nothing to it. Just dust in the wind."
[21:07:11] <vargas> "The most we can do is aggravate it. Draw its ire."
[21:07:54] <magnus_> "I wonder where the princess got the rod. That might lead you towards the origins of the problem."
[21:08:30] <vargas> "I'm not sure I want to look. That thought has never even occurred to me."
[21:09:59] <magnus_> "Hmmm.....I might look into it."
[21:09:59] <vargas> "Back to the story though. At the end, Serribon was lost to unending hallucinations. We would wake from dreams to find himself in another dream, and the demon tried to force him to cut himself to death with his own knife. We were barely able to stop him with a little help from the Ghost of Queen's Bay. Another story."
[21:11:50] <vargas> "We finally found help with a Benedict, the monk we know at that monastery. In time he goes on to become a Saint. We helped him perform an exorcism, and resorted to divine intervention to save Serribon."
[21:14:41] * Magnus_ nods, "I see. What was that monastery you took me to to save the blind gnome? Was it the same one?"
[21:14:48] <vargas> "Yes."
[21:17:03] <vargas> "How frequently are priests of Pharasma granted prayers of power like yours?"
[21:17:33] <magnus_> "I am the only one that I know of, aside from my mother."
[21:17:51] <vargas> "The only priest, or the only one with the gift?"
[21:17:52] <magnus_> "I have never seen others of my order really."
[21:18:29] <magnus_> "I am a wandering priest, Vargas...in each city I look for a temple of Pharasma and I find none."
[21:20:21] <magnus_> "So as for priests of Pharasma with my powers I do not know. Sadly."
[21:20:43] <vargas> "I see."
[21:21:15] <vargas> "Do you know where worship of Pharasma originates from? Which culture, which people?"
[21:21:59] <magnus_> "Though there are similar ones.... No. I don't. It would be worth me knowing...but then, is that necessary to have faith?"
[21:22:28] <vargas> "Curiosity."
[21:22:38] <magnus_> "True."
[21:22:51] <vargas> "Does she speak to you?"
[21:23:07] <magnus_> "Sometimes."
[21:24:03] <vargas> "When? How? What is it like?"
[21:24:12] <magnus_> "She leads me with my divination prayer as well. It is how I knew of Caleb. She intervened on my behalf to keep him from me."
[21:25:28] * Magnus_ pauses... "It is like my conscience. And the divination usually comes in visions while I meditate."
[21:27:44] <vargas> "When I go home, I will make it a point to learn what my people have regarding Pharasma. Despite our ignorance, we really do try to study history."
[21:28:11] <magnus_> "The Kervic priests did not think highly of me."
[21:29:56] <vargas> "Any Gottian priest is going to be suspicious of other priests. Thou shalt not worship false gods and such."
[21:33:52] <magnus_> "So I am a pagan to them."
[21:35:11] <vargas> "Yes. That doesn't mean they are going to be hostile. I'm certain you'd have a rivetting discussion with Benedict, or the Sigilite, etc... And while they would be forced to recognize the power of your patron, they would not recognizer Her as a god."
[21:37:24] <magnus_> "That is alright. I know very little of Gott."
[21:37:50] -->| Rivet_ (~Miranda@74.197.128.127) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[21:38:12] * Vargas nods.
[21:38:44] <vargas> "Are you familiar with any religious pantheons which have an all-father figure?"
[21:38:51] <vargas> (Hey Rivet)
[21:39:01] <rivet_> (hi)
[21:39:28] <magnus_> "Some. I have come across them in libraries and other temples. I explored all the temples of the cities I have lived in."
[21:42:32] <vargas> "Gott is essentially an all-father with emphasis on the All part. The beginning, and the end. According to Gottian lore, Gott is very hands off. No mortal avatars walking the earth. And if Gott has to be given a primary domain, it would be Love."
[21:42:39] <vargas> (Is that correct, Ancient?)
[21:43:57] <ancient_> That's how Vargas would describe it.
[21:44:51] <rivet_> (in real reality, he's an amoral tentacle beast that eats the souls of the departed like goldfish crackers)
[21:45:32] <ancient_> (Only the DM knows for sure!)
[21:46:56] <magnus_> (Okay. I need to live where they filmed the second half of House of Flying Daggers. I'm just saying.)
[21:47:37] <magnus_> "Love being the purest reason to create."
[21:47:54] <vargas> "There are many priests of Gott in my time and country. But a priest with spells like yours is almost unheard of."
[21:48:21] <magnus_> "Do your priests have powers?"
[21:48:32] <vargas> (just re-order those statements)
[21:49:34] <vargas> "Miriam is the only one I've ever met. And there are hundreds and hundreds of them in Mordheim. Dozens in Hagelburg."
[21:53:02] <magnus_> "Where are you from?"
[21:53:46] <vargas> "Originally, Hagelburg. A rivertown in Herzland, between Mordheim and the sea. We are a beer and trade town."
[21:54:57] <magnus_> "I see. I am from a dessert village...agriculture mostly. A lot of irrigation..some animals."
[21:55:42] <vargas> "Herzland is very cold. Not frozen, but cold. Rivers, forests, and mountains to the east."
[21:56:14] <magnus_> (Desert..sorry)
[21:56:14] <vargas> "Mostly human, but many kindermensch."
[21:57:43] <magnus_> "All humans in my village but me."
[21:58:19] * Vargas nods.
[21:59:05] <vargas> "You were not with us when we passed through Serribon's old homeland in the Kerengas."
[21:59:27] <magnus_> "I wasn't."
[22:00:55] <magnus_> "How was it?"
[22:02:00] <vargas> "Sad. It was all abandoned ruins buried under the jungle."
[22:02:19] <vargas> (Think mayan ruins)
[22:02:38] <rivet_> (or Angkor Wat)
[22:02:55] <magnus_> (Or ancient Indonesian)
[22:03:04] <magnus_> (how I pictured it)
[22:06:53] <ancient_> Well, y'all did all the work tonight. Magnus, if you still want to do some twix meditating, tomorrow night I will be available again.
[22:07:18] <magnus_> Cool. I have to pass out soon. Work again at 6 am.
[22:07:49] <vargas> Rivet, you still watchin?
[22:07:54] =-= YOU are now known as Gerhal
[22:08:06] <gerhal> I have questions
[22:08:29] =-= Magnus_ is now known as Nacht
[22:08:57] <rivet_> yeh
[22:11:40] <gerhal> So, after bouncing around ideas and whatnot, I sort of change my mind on what we should do.
[22:11:48] <rivet_> 'kay
[22:12:35] <rivet_> what had we decided we were gonna do - terrorize Faisal some more?
[22:13:17] <ancient_> Always good for a lark.
[22:14:03] <gerhal> The Whump is almost right on top of us, and we don't have time to mess with the factions at the dig site. It doesn't really matter. But Faisal does. He knows more about his brother than anyone, and he's a bargaining chip. I'm thinking that V should prepare 3 teleports the next morning. We blitzkrieg Faisal and knock him unconscious. Then just teleport him away. Interrogate him, and...
[22:14:03] <gerhal> ...when we're done hand him over to the Roses in exchange for a down payment on talisman quartz, spells, and support for taking on Kervic.
[22:15:22] <gerhal> In addition, we have another complication since the Whump is almost on us. The only way to gaurantee the Key goes into the future is for either Ibram or Vargas to carry it. Since the girl and the Sig are making a fake, I'm thinking of having V carry the fake and Ibram carrying the real key.
[22:15:59] <rivet_> mm-hmm
[22:17:54] <gerhal> Thoughts?
[22:18:51] <rivet_> briefly considered suggesting you give the fake to Serri to take back to antiquity. But if that ruse would work, it would have already worked and they wouldn't be at the real temple now
[22:19:07] <rivet_> Unless it *did* work.
[22:19:23] <rivet_> Without using it, how can we know we've got the real key?
[22:19:52] <gerhal> There are a couple ways I think.
[22:19:58] <gerhal> Consider this.
[22:20:28] <gerhal> If you look an fantasy lore, or even DnD Banishment spell rules, the most powerful binding spells always create a key. It's just part of the spell.
[22:20:50] <gerhal> And the key ends up being stronger based on the strength of the prison spell.
[22:21:01] <gerhal> I'm pretty sure if the key is invincible, it's the right one.
[22:22:08] <rivet_> Maybe. THough I'm just thinking - we know where the temple and the key chamber are. There's nothing to prevent Future!Vargas from dropping in at any point where we end up back in the past and swapping them out.
[22:22:30] <rivet_> the chamber isn't tele-protted
[22:23:13] <gerhal> It suppose that is possible. But it's pretty inconsistent for Future!Vargas. The only one of us who actively messes with Past!Self is Cassandra.
[22:23:49] <gerhal> I think it is also too prone to paradox.
[22:24:40] <gerhal> Paradox might actively interfere with teleport probability too.
[22:24:48] <ancient_> Hehehe, which is to say, not impossible, just very mentally taxing.
[22:29:40] <ancient_> I don't know of what use it is to you in your planning, but several mine-cart-loads of treasure have already been extracted from the tomb by now, and more are coming at a steady pace.
[22:30:21] <gerhal> This is true. Hijack, and covert to high density gems?
[22:31:21] <rivet_> where and how? we don't have the manpower to move that much mass - or know of a market large enough to support the influx of that much gold on such short notice
[22:31:24] <ancient_> I dunno how you might make use of it. Being at the dig site, it's still quite isolated, globally speaking.
[22:31:54] |<-->
[22:32:32] <ancient_> And I must be getting to sleep now. Early doctor's appointment tomorrow.
[22:32:34] <gerhal> We can hide / bury some carts somewhere.
[22:32:38] <gerhal> Good night, Anc.
[22:32:55] |<-->
[22:33:04] <gerhal> I have have the Shrink Item spell, Rivet.
[22:33:56] <rivet_> Yeah, but do you have Shrink Cartload?
[22:34:39] <gerhal> There should be some bigger items.
[22:34:58] <gerhal> We also have a portable hole right?
[22:35:18] <rivet_> I don't remember that. if we did, it would make our packs explode
[22:35:30] <rivet_> or implode
[22:35:58] <gerhal> We had something that wasn't our ordinary haversack.
[22:36:03] <gerhal> Maybe Bag of Holding 2.
[22:37:30] <gerhal> Yes, a type 2.
[22:37:34] <rivet_> that sounds right
[22:37:49] <gerhal> That's 500 lbs, or 70 cubic feet. That's about 1 cart.
[22:45:15] <rivet_> I dunno. gold is very dense. 500lbs is only about 16 standard gold bars
[22:45:49] <rivet_> might take up a bit more room as loose coinage and trinkets, though
[22:45:50] <gerhal> That's still a ton of money. Shrink Item reduces weight by 1/8 I think.
[22:46:21] <gerhal> Melt into a solid piece back at the monestary. They melted gold for us once before.
[22:47:30] <gerhal> Each of us can carry out max load in weight when I port.
[22:50:03] <rivet_> 500lbs is 25k gold
[22:50:35] <gerhal> We'll make sure to teleport while you are raging. =)
[22:50:39] <rivet_> heh
[22:53:13] <rivet_> hm. we could buy magic items for wealth density. they eat gp like nobody's business
[22:54:49] <gerhal> Mithril is 10 more valuable per pound.
[22:55:14] <rivet_> yep
[22:55:48] <gerhal> I say we bury it in the Salt Mine. When the miners find it, well, its ours!
[22:56:27] <rivet_> I like it. And, funnily enough, it will be the least valuable thing in the cave.
[22:56:52] <rivet_> anyway, I hate to cut out early, but I'm about done for the day. I've got an early morning, and my new bed is calling me.
[22:57:02] <gerhal> Nice!
[22:57:04] <gerhal> Good night.
[22:57:17] <rivet_> night
[22:57:28] [INFO] Disconnecting from IRC. Click close again to exit now.
[22:57:28] [QUIT] Disconnected from irc://irc.esper.net/ (irc://irc.esper.net/). [[Reconnect][Reconnect to irc.esper.net][reconnect]]

18APR13

Clockwork Rivet