22APR13

[00:10:38] <gerhal> Bed time for me guys.
[00:10:42] <ancient_> G
[00:10:43] <rivet_> night
[00:10:46] <ancient_> One sec.
[00:10:46] <gerhal> I have to go to the vet in the morning.
[00:11:00] <gerhal> Oreo tore a ligament in her knee, and she can't walk.
[00:11:05] <soggylord> oh no man
[00:11:09] <rivet_> awww
[00:11:14] <ancient_> What's the plan for Magnus's bindgins? Are you keeping him tied up until you get to the temple?
[00:11:47] <gerhal> I leave Magnus's binding to Serribon's discretion. He knows better than anyone.
[00:12:06] <acadia> Poor baby
[00:12:15] <ancient_> Roger. Riv, you can let me know after you've read the logs, if you'd rather.
[00:12:27] <ancient_> Or just take the safe route and keep him tied up for now.
[00:12:50] <gerhal> Nothing personal, Nacho. It's for your own safety.
[00:12:59] <gerhal> (and ours)
[00:13:09] <rivet_> Right-o
[00:14:45] <ancient_> Once you're caught up, Riv, let me know if Serri would release him in the morning, or keep him tied up until they can dispose of him, or what. I just need to know if he's still bound when he goes before his master.
[00:14:50] <ancient_> At the temple.
[00:14:59] <nacho> "Amy...take these rubber bands off my claws and I'll show you just how calm I am.:
[00:15:16] <rivet_> Hehe. Read my mind.
[00:15:40] <ancient_> Hahaha. I would not have gone that direction, but I can dig it.
[00:16:26] <rivet_> I've not read them, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be 'keep him bound'.
[00:17:51] <ancient_> Ok, I'll roll that way when i twix Magnus.
[00:21:10] <nacho> Everyone looses the bonds from ten feet away with a pocket knife tied to a pole.
[00:21:40] <rivet_> http://www.cracked.com/article_20386_8-ordinary-things-that-look-insanely-cool-under-microscope.html
[00:22:00] <rivet_> Heh. That's pretty much Power Violence, Nacho.
[00:28:40] <acadia> Awesome science.
[00:32:43] <ancient_> Night.
[00:32:51] <rivet_> g'night
[00:33:52] <nacho> Night
[00:34:20] <nacho> I'm out too. Still on that damn overtime that starts at 6 am.
[00:34:34] <rivet_> night, man
[00:34:44] <soggylord> oh hey
[00:34:48] <soggylord> I found a mecha game I might run
[00:35:00] <soggylord> http://www.mediafire.com/view/?l7wup07po9jtxu5 let me know what you think, its in alpha form and I'm giving concrit to the writer
[00:35:30] |<-->
[00:36:49] <acadia> Not their best, but worth watching: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?l7wup07po9jtxu5
[00:48:21] |<-->
[00:49:31] <acadia> This looks pretty fun
[00:59:56] <rivet_> ooc http://itotd.com/articles/655/the-unknown-woman-of-the-seine/
[01:20:13] <acadia> neat!
[01:51:32] |<-->
[02:23:35] |<-->
[02:27:18] -->| Sirens (~Adium@ip68-105-1-229.br.br.cox.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[02:28:19] <--|>
[07:27:25] [INFO] Disconnecting from IRC. Click close again to exit now.
[07:27:25] [QUIT] Disconnected from irc://irc.esper.net/ (irc://irc.esper.net/). [[Reconnect][Reconnect to irc.esper.net][reconnect]]
[18:15:08] === 1 unknown connection(s)
[18:15:08] =-= User mode for Gerhal is now +i
[18:15:10] -->| YOU (Gerhal) have joined #beyondshadowrun
[18:15:19] -->| Clockwork (~Clockwork@c-24-30-63-2.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[18:15:32] <d_m> ,div
[18:15:33] <clockwork> Men united in the purpose of the Emperor are blessed in his sight and shall live forever in His memory.
[18:15:35] <d_m> ,daat
[18:15:36] <clockwork> 75. Rogue ties bundles of Rods of Wonder together to create Wonder Shotguns.
[18:15:50] <nacht> I like that one.
[18:15:59] <gerhal> A Wonder Shotgun might be one of the most horrific things I can imagine.
[18:16:18] <nacht> I don't know what a Rod of Wonder is though.
[18:18:00] <d_m> Costume, then, sir.
[18:18:38] =-= Nacht is now known as Magnus_
[18:21:08] <d_m> Ok!
[18:21:14] <d_m> Let's see here...
[18:23:20] <d_m> Inner sanctum. A torch-bowl holds the fire that consumes the daily sacrifices. A shadow retreats through the door--Serribon, departing--and the door closes with a heavy, echoing sound. The smell of incense is heavy. The old man at the far end of the room turns to face you.
[18:23:46] <d_m> "Magnus," he says, his voice at once creaking with age and crisp as a school-master's.
[18:26:06] * Magnus_ slowly approaches the elderly priest with the reverence the man deserves. His hands remain bound behind his back as he bows to the man, "Duramas."
[18:26:49] <d_m> The old man observes Magnus's condition, both his lingering injuries and his present restraint. "You are bound, Magnus."
[18:27:29] <magnus_> "Anger issues and I made a grave mistake."
[18:28:48] <d_m> "I see," says Duramas. He is quiet for a moment, and then he says, "Shall I unbind you?"
[18:29:18] <magnus_> "I will not harm you, my teacher."
[18:30:35] <magnus_> "I believe I am of sound mind once again...if not confused and lost."
[18:32:42] <magnus_> "I do request that you be on your guard should I become..not myself."
[18:32:49] <d_m> Duramas gazes up at the mountainous half-orc, and his lips curl under his long, stringy beard. He nods and steps behind you, Magnus, and unfastens your restraints. "Those are you cohorts who have brought you here in this condition," he says, walking away toward the torch bowl. "At your request, I presume."
[18:34:04] * Magnus_ rubs his wrists, "Yes. There is one in my group in need of your services as well...I am afraid I put him in need of them while under the control of another."
[18:35:08] <d_m> "The dead need no service from us," he says, pausing by the torch to stoke the coals there. "You know that."
[18:36:36] <magnus_> "I do, but I do not think it was his time."
[18:37:43] <d_m> Duramas looks at you again, and then shrugs. "Only he can make that decision. We will see. Your cohorts have brought their tribute, I assume?" He refers to the great cost of the ceremony. The gems required.
[18:38:20] <magnus_> "I believe they have it waiting with them, Sir."
[18:39:11] <d_m> "Indeed," says the old man, finishing with the torch and now returning toward the far end of the chamber, to whatever he was doing there when you entered. "So why are /you/ here, Magnus?"
[18:41:34] * Magnus_ moves forwards and kneels before the old man, "I ....I have turned my back on my faith in an attempt to keep a demon from harming my companions. I fell for it's tricks. I became savage under it's control and ended the life of the man I have requested your prayers upon."
[18:42:37] <magnus_> "I am lost, once again, my teacher. I prayed on last time for mercy on him, I can only hope She heard them."
[18:43:29] <magnus_> "My faith..was not strong enough."
[18:44:49] <d_m> Duramas is, it turns out, eating his lunch. He sets the food aside and looks down at the top of Magnus's bald, green head for a long breath, and then he reaches out and rests a hand on Magnus's crown. He closes his eyes. There is a moment of silence.
[18:45:19] <d_m> "Strong enough for what?" he says after a moment, releasing Magnus's head.
[18:47:14] <magnus_> "Strong enough to keep myself following her path. I sought ways to protect them on my own rather than relying on her grace to see me through, see them through."
[18:48:50] <magnus_> "I..tried to take the matter into my own hands."
[18:49:24] <d_m> Duramas nods and picks up his plate again. It contains a bit of cheese and some sort of dried meat. Duramas was always fond of jerky; easy jokes about eating someone's mummy. Good for scandalizing the young initiates. "Magnus, go to the fire."
[18:50:10] * Magnus_ stands and moves to the fire, waiting besides it.
[18:50:11] <d_m> You know this torch, Magnus. A wide bronze bowl holding a pile of embers that is kept, if not always lit, then at least always at the ready, and is tended each day to burn the offerings of petitioners.
[18:50:43] <d_m> "See to it," says Duramas, gesturing with his jerky. "You know how."
[18:51:13] <d_m> It's just a matter of taking the coal-tongs that hang near at hand and carefully arranging the coals so that the fire continues to burn, not too bright, but not too cool.
[18:51:31] <d_m> One coal here, one there. It is a meditative activity. Pruning the flame.
[18:52:55] <d_m> The Ehlonna cult probably has some sort of small, shapeable tree with which they do the same thing. It's just a very primal activity for every sentient creature of peace, to prune.
[18:54:56] <d_m> It's an activity you and every other priest of the temple has done many times.
[18:56:18] * Magnus_ silently performs the ritual.
[18:56:38] <d_m> "Do you see the bones, Magnus?" He refers of course to the little chicken bones and piglet bones, the various remnants of recent sacrifices taken up to the gods by these flames. The coals pulse with heat and orange light, and give off sparks as you disturb them.
[18:57:01] <magnus_> "I do."
[18:57:40] <d_m> "Do you know why we give sacrifices to the gods?" Duramas asks. He breaks off a piece of jerky and munches on it patiently. His old jaws are not the jerky-processors they used to be.
[18:58:58] <magnus_> "To show favor and love. We may ask for prayers, but they will grant them if they deem them worthy."
[19:00:02] <magnus_> "To show them devotion."
[19:02:19] <d_m> "Mmm," says the old man, finishing his bite. "Worthy. What is worthy of a god? They exist before us; they create us; they go on without us. Whether we forget them and are trampled under foot, or we are smitten from the earth for some transgression, in the end they go on when we are forgotten. The winds continue to blow. The waves pound. The sun crosses the sky. What care have the gods for us?"
[19:02:34] <d_m> "Or anything we can offer?"
[19:04:53] <magnus_> "Wether they care or not, it is a faith their followers have in them. Faith is not logically decided upon, my teacher."
[19:07:19] <d_m> Duramas smiles. Again, you can't see the smile, just the movement of his whisker-roots suggesting it. "Mm," he says, tapping the air between you with his jerky. "That is what we say, anyway, when we run out of answers. Because we need it to be true, don't we? And this is my point, Magnus," he says, standing up again and approaching the fire.
[19:07:41] <d_m> He wields his jerky as a professor might a ruler or pointing stick while he talks.
[19:08:21] <magnus_> "I do am not Her. I can not say what she finds worthy."
[19:09:21] <d_m> "We don't know, and can't know, whether the gods give a damn for our sacrifices, our petitions. We hope that they do. We--especially we, of the cloth, have faith that they do. But..." He shrugs, looking at the coals. "We give sacrifices--and mark me well, if you would be a priest, Magnus--not for the gods but for us. To remind ourselves of these very facts."
[19:10:18] <d_m> He looks up at you again. "We give sacrifices to remind ourselves that we can only petition. That we have no power but to ask, offering nothing. All our best we /burn/, because that is all it is to them. Ash and smoke. Might as well be nothing."
[19:11:17] <d_m> "The rituals, Magnus, are our pruning of ourselves, to bear always in mind that we have nothing to offer, and they have absolute dominion over our fates. And therefore in the end only the question of faith actually matters."
[19:12:14] <d_m> "Since we can do nothing for ourselves, it all comes down to whether or not they care. We have faith that they do, and we ask for their pity and their love, because without it, we get only the soles of their feet as they walk upon us like men upon unnoticed ants."
[19:12:22] * Magnus_ listens quietly as he continues with the coals.
[19:14:04] <d_m> "It is so easy for us to think that our faith matters, Magnus, because it is so easy for us to think that we matter. That is why we burn our sacrifices. To remind ourselves that in the end, only the gods truly /are,/ and only they determine whether we matter at all, and we can not influence them in that decision. We have no power to reach them. We only can reach one another."
[19:14:53] <d_m> "So what do we do, Magnus? You and I, and the priests of the many temples? What is our function?"
[19:17:04] <magnus_> "To reach those around us. Provide strength and support. Counsel. And spread the good deeds of our faith. We treat those as we hope the gods would treat us.""
[19:19:37] <d_m> "Yes," says Duramas, jabbing at you now with his jerky. "We teach, hopefully by example, the qualities of the gods. You could say, not even as we hope the gods would treat us, but as we believe the gods are treating us. As only the gods are of import, then only their qualities are of import, and so we, the helpless ants, emulate them, and listen for the messages they might send us...
[19:20:41] <d_m> "...and strive to reveal to the masses that it is only the existence of the gods that has meaning. That the only thing of meaning we can do is look for the form of them, and the way of them, in our world, and paint that form and that way upon the face of our own lives, and our society."
[19:22:03] <d_m> "And we..." He spreads his arms, gesturing with one hand and one stick of jerky to the hall around you. "...have chosen Wee Jas, the lady of Death, and of Magic, and of the Law. We call her the mistress of man's vanity, because she rules all things which lay us low every day."
[19:23:06] <d_m> "We are at the heart of the struggle, Magnus, against our own nature. The struggle to realize that we are nothing, and they--She, and the others of whom there are so many, so far out of our reach--are everything."
[19:23:19] <d_m> Duramas pauses.
[19:23:30] <d_m> He puts his empty hand on his chest.
[19:23:42] <d_m> He coughs, once, dry and hacking.
[19:24:04] <d_m> He examines his jerky stick. "Hmm," he says. "Peppery."
[19:24:55] * Magnus_ looks at him. A slight smile crosses his face at the man and his ways.
[19:24:56] <d_m> "Anyway!" he resumes, thrusting the meat product in Magnus's direction. "Do you understand my words?"
[19:25:13] <magnus_> "I do, my teacher."
[19:25:31] <gerhal> (Who is the god of Bacon and Peppercorn?)
[19:25:46] <magnus_> (Vito)
[19:25:47] <d_m> (Probably Moradin.0
[19:26:17] <d_m> (But then, I'm talking in terms of the Greyhawk pantheon, and Magnus worships under the Pathfinder pantheon, so there's room for debate.)
[19:27:10] <magnus_> (I was a fan of the Dragonlance pantheon...in which case it would probably be the Dwarven God)
[19:27:26] <d_m> (Moradin ftw!)
[19:27:28] <gerhal> (pathfinder pantheon is pretty weird. The Sun god, a major diety, is only a regional god. Has there ever been a multi-god pantheon without a sun god? Noooooo. Instead only the desert people follow Sarenae in Golarion.)
[19:28:36] <d_m> (People who create pantheons generally know less about religion than the people who created Shadowrun know about guns.)
[19:29:11] <d_m> "Then a question is put to you--and not by me, but, as you can see, by life: Why do you, Magnus, wish to be a priest? Especially of this order? Knowing as you do, admitting as you must, that your only power is to speak to the people, and your only message to them is that nothing they do or you do matters, whence comes your motivation? What drives you to speak the message of the gods?"
[19:29:13] <magnus_> (In the case of D&D 1st ed. they have all the Gods of the world listed)
[19:29:26] <d_m> He lowers his weapon and steps toward you. "Or are you still driven at all?"
[19:32:09] <magnus_> (his weapon?)
[19:32:15] <gerhal> (bacon)
[19:32:20] <d_m> (Verily.)
[19:37:33] <d_m> Your move, Magnus.
[19:39:08] <magnus_> "I want to assist those and help them to have faith themselves. For that is my eternal petition to her. Devoting my life to her is my petition that she have mercy on their woes, and that she bless their good deeds."
[19:40:15] <magnus_> (well, all the gods from the old worlds I suppose.)
[19:43:21] <d_m> Duramas holds Magnus in his gaze, and slowly raises his jerky toward the far door, beyond which the rest of the party prepares Ibram for the ceremony of resurrection. "Assist, eh? Is that what you do with that hammer of yours, boy? Assist?"
[19:45:03] <magnus_> "That incident was not an assistance, and it was not solely of my own doing. Although I do take full responsibility for it."
[19:46:26] <magnus_> "I will gladly lay down my weapons to avoid such things."
[19:47:33] <d_m> "Will you, now? And leave your cohorts to whatever fate awaits them? Unaided by any message you might be able to pass from our beloved and impartial Mistress?"
[19:48:11] <magnus_> "I did not say I would not travel with them."
[19:49:01] <magnus_> "Clearly teaching doesn't come from killing. For what will the dead learn?"
[19:50:22] <d_m> "Magnus, you can not travel with them and not kill. You know this, deep down. You have power, through your strength, through your birth. You will kill the enemy, or you will watch the enemy kill when you could have stopped him. Merely to be there is to make choices about the lives and deaths of others. Merely to have power is to exercise it."
[19:51:21] <d_m> "And you have experienced the loss of power, too. You stand here, now, stripped of the blessings of Wee Jas--or Pharasma, as you may call her. You are without power. How does it feel? And whom did it serve?"
[19:51:55] <d_m> "To abandon power so as not to have to make choices only serves those who are still around wielding power and making choices. It makes you a puppet."
[19:52:09] <magnus_> "It served evil. I feel helpless to stop evil."
[19:53:02] <d_m> The old man stares flame at you, perhaps the sacrificial pyre reflecting in his eyes, and attempts to dramatically tear a bite from his jerky. It does not come loose immediately, and there is an awkward moment of grunting and pulling until he achieves his goal. Then he resumes staring flame at you.
[19:53:36] <d_m> "My son, the rightness of the choice lies not in what choice you make, here. I can't tell you what to do, because I don't know. You must listen to your calling, which is spoken only to you."
[19:53:53] <d_m> "Take it from an old man, though..."
[19:54:37] <d_m> "...it is okay not to know all the answers up front. It is okay to continue searching for the truth. The more you value the truth, the more you are doomed to spend /all/ your life time seeking it."
[19:54:46] <d_m> He shrugs again and chews on the jerky bite.
[19:56:23] * Magnus_ watches the old master. "Better to be one's self and true to one's nature than be a stranger?"
[19:57:27] <d_m> Duramas nods, but as he does he purses his lips, regarding you, Magnus, as if he has had another thought. Which hs has. "You grew up in the ways of the Goddess, did you not? Were raised in them, by your mother?"
[19:58:22] <magnus_> "I was. We were left to ourselves do to my make, but we still served the Goddess."
[20:00:20] <d_m> "Then you have never really known a day without her voice. You were not... called, as most are, to priesthood. It was always there around you, like a blanket." Duramas takes a deep breath and grins. "That blanket has been stripped away from you, now. You stand naked in the cold world the rest of us come from. And now you have to listen for her voice."
[20:01:09] <d_m> Duramas looks into the fire again. "If you wish to Atone, Magnus, it can not be driven by habit, because you know no other way than to be her priest. You must find her voice. You must be called. You must be driven."
[20:01:31] <d_m> "And to be driven, you must know your own path, your way of serving, and choose it."
[20:02:13] <d_m> He looks to you again and glances with his eyes toward the door and the adventurers' party beyond.
[20:03:14] <magnus_> "They require help, my teacher." He nods towards the door. "I will listen."
[20:04:33] <d_m> Duramas nods. "I believe you will." He looks down, considering all the matters at hand one last time.
[20:05:55] <d_m> "This thing which tricked you, led you astray. What was it?"
[20:06:26] <magnus_> "A demon."
[20:07:27] <d_m> "A strong one? It must have been clever, to turn you so far from yourself."
[20:10:18] <magnus_> "Very clever. It stalks the members of this group and contacted them first through a magical rod. Pharasma shows that the arrogance of man made it. I was tricked because I wanted to keep them from it's wrath."
[20:11:07] <d_m> "It turned even noble motives to its service, is what you are saying."
[20:11:17] <d_m> Duramas chews on the end of his jerky stick contemplatively as he listens.
[20:11:50] <magnus_> "Yes."
[20:14:40] <d_m> "Hmm... Magnus, I took the reading of you earlier, as you probably guessed. I see no sign of compulsion about you. This thing... you surely let it in of your own free will." He drops the remainder of his jerky into a pocket in his robe and steps up to Magnus, grasping the half-orc's shoulders. "You are a good lad, Magnus. Your heart is simple, as are your goals. You are not devious, and your notion of service is true."
[20:14:56] <d_m> "Which means this thing, whatever it was, is masterfully dangerous."
[20:15:56] <d_m> "The cost of your atonement will be steep, and I can make no guarantees about its success. You have wounded your own heart, and your forgiveness of yourself will be the hardest for you to earn. Whatever your fate, though, Magnus..."
[20:17:08] <d_m> "...you may again encounter this creature, or, gods forbid, others like it. I have no wisdom to offer you on that subject. I don't know what to do about such a thing; I would be terrified to face it in your stead. I can only offer you a piece of advice a wandering priest once offered me."
[20:19:17] <d_m> "Speak not to things of evil," he said, "but put them behind you, and speak instead to the ones you trust. Trust in Wee Jas, Magnus, whether you go forth a priest or as a warrior or however the world may take you. Trust in Pharasma. When in doubt, block out everything else, and listen for her voice."
[20:19:41] <d_m> Let me try that again, with proper nested punctuation:
[20:19:59] <d_m> "'Speak not to things of evil,' he said, 'but put them behind you, and speak instead to the ones you trust.' Trust in Wee Jas, Magnus, whether you go forth a priest or as a warrior or however the world may take you. Trust in Pharasma. When in doubt, block out everything else, and listen for her voice."
[20:20:34] <d_m> Duramas releases you and looks up into your tuskish, greenish, lantern-jawed face.
[20:23:23] * Magnus_ bows his head, "I thank you, my teacher."
[20:23:34] <magnus_> "For your wisdom."
[20:24:26] <d_m> "You are always welcome, my son. So what is your choice? Do you wish to pursue Atonement this day?"
[20:25:17] <magnus_> "I do."
[20:26:45] <d_m> Duramas nods. "Very well, then. You know the drill. Twenty-five hundred gold, or equivalent, and I'll prepare the necessaries."
[20:32:14] * Magnus_ looks silent for ea minute or so, "I will need to discuss this with my companions. We keep our gold in a lump sum and it would be rude of me to assume I could just have it, especially after my actions."
[20:32:43] <gerhal> (The Bank of Wellington is open for business.)
[20:32:55] <gerhal> (*monocle flare*)
[20:33:01] <magnus_> "They deserve an apology and much more."
[20:33:10] <d_m> Aaaaand, end scene.
[20:34:33] <gerhal> Bravo
[20:34:44] <magnus_> (actually, Magnus is about 300 short of his own gold. heh)
[20:35:22] <magnus_> (according to my character sheet that is)
[20:36:06] <gerhal> Any progress on XP boss?
[20:36:28] <d_m> Ha! Yes, but i'm not giving it out just yet.
[20:37:43] <d_m> Rather than finish those calculations tonight, I'm going to finish PP instead.

22APR13

Clockwork Rivet