28APR13


(1:18:48:15] =-= User mode for Vargas is now +i
(1:18:48:17] -->| YOU (Vargas) have joined #beyondshadowrun
(1:18:48:57] -->| Solaire (~ThunderHa@c-68-80-213-233.hsd1.nj.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
(1:19:09:50] <vargas> Is Ancient okay? He hasn't responded on AIM.
(1:19:10:33] <nacht> Rivet it working tonight, right?
(1:19:10:41] <vargas> Yeah, Rivet is working.
(1:19:11:55] <sirens> I was talking to him just an hour ago.
(1:19:12:08] <sirens> It's not like him to be late, though.
(1:19:12:20] <vargas> Can you call or text him?
(1:19:14:25] <sirens> I'll text
(1:19:14:26] -->| Ancient (~Ancient@ip98-166-217-172.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
(1:19:14:31] <vargas> Huzzah!
(1:19:14:37] <vargas> There he is.
(1:19:14:37] <sirens> haha
(1:19:15:04] <d_m> Ah, heh. So I've been staring at this chat room for the past fifteen minutes wondering where everyone is.
(1:19:15:13] <vargas> ...
(1:19:15:15] <nacht> There he is...Mr. Ancient...There he is...lookin' old.....
(1:19:15:16] <d_m> The user list wouldn't update.
(1:19:15:19] <nacht> Sorry, it's the name.
(1:19:15:45] <vargas> Where you on the wrong server or chatroom?
(1:19:15:52] <d_m> Nah, just a bug.
(1:19:16:04] <vargas> Weird...
(1:19:16:05] <sirens> lol
(1:19:16:31] <vargas> Get in costume kiddos!
(1:19:16:38] <d_m> Indeed.
(1:19:16:52] <d_m> So...
(1:19:16:57] =-= Nacht is now known as Magnus_
(1:19:17:03] =-= Sirens is now known as Acadia
(1:19:32:23] <vargas> Hey Magnus.
(1:19:32:29] <vargas> I have a request.
(1:19:32:39] <vargas> oh, IC voice.
(1:19:32:54] <vargas> "Magnus! I have a request. And I have one for you too, Ibram."
(1:19:33:14] <magnus_> (There was a singer back in the day that a funky jaw. From some angles it looked good, others it was weird. Can't remember her name but she voiced on Mad Monster Party as the red head.)
(1:19:34:09] <vargas> "Magnus, when we make the assault to rescue Miriam, I would like you to keep a Raise Dead prayer prepared. We may not have time to raise her afterwards. We may have to spot it on the spot."
(1:19:34:29] * Magnus_ hears his name from down stairs. "Hrmm....I believe I am being summoned, Serribon." He pats Faisal on the head like a child, "Do behave." Then slips out to hear V's gig.
(1:19:34:49] <magnus_> "Alright."
(1:19:35:13] <vargas> "Ibram, we don't know when the Whump is coming so either you or I need to hold the Key. We can't risk leaving it behind through time. But they might expect me to carry it. So I want you to carry the real Key, and I will carry the fake."
(1:19:36:06] <magnus_> "Oh...That ring of Faisal's. He says that it's used to pass items back and forth from him to his brother. Also Miriam, if in a temple, would be in a Gott temple."
(1:19:36:19] <magnus_> "That would be the most likely place to raise her."
(1:19:36:34] <d_m> Ok! That was an important phone call, as it turned out.
(1:19:36:40] <vargas> (Everything ok?)
(1:19:36:57] <magnus_> "And he
(1:19:37:16] <magnus_> "And he's not exactly sure how large of an item will fit through the ring."
(1:19:37:35] <acadia> (My turn, phone call)
(1:19:37:54] <solaire> <ibram> "Okay."
(1:19:37:56] <d_m> (Yeah, everything's cool. Just family business. I think Acadia is about to get the same news.)
(1:19:38:07] <d_m> Give me one more second, and then we'll start properly.
(1:19:39:14] * Magnus_ watches Acadia as if contemplating. "How small can she get?"
(1:19:40:54] <d_m> All right. Acadia will be on the phone for a few, but we can put things in motion.
(1:19:43:55] <d_m> So, when we lastleft off, Serribon and Magnus were working over Faisal a bit more. Serribon is probably still in there, trying to get some info out of him without resorting to any further physical violence.
(1:19:45:07] <d_m> Any last questions you want to try to ask of him before you move on?
(1:19:45:23] <vargas> (none more here)
(1:19:46:20] * Magnus_ looks at Vargas, "Do you think the ring would teleport if someone put it on?"
(1:19:46:26] <acadia> (I'm back)
(1:19:46:39] <vargas> "It's not a ring so much as a small hoop."
(1:19:46:47] <vargas> "That would be a big finger."
(1:19:47:44] <magnus_> "Hoop as in...twelve inch diameter or something?"
(1:19:48:13] <vargas> (Can GM specify the dimensions?)
(1:19:48:23] <vargas> (brb bio)
(1:19:49:03] <d_m> http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/ring-gates
(1:19:49:31] <d_m> 18 inches in diameter.
(1:19:50:24] <d_m> Ok, so...
(1:19:50:25] <magnus_> (That's useful.)
(1:19:50:36] <vargas> "18 or so."
(1:19:51:06] <d_m> All right, nothing further for Faisal. In that case, what's the next step? Time is precious, after all.
(1:19:51:12] <acadia> Acadia could totally slip through that.
(1:19:51:51] * Magnus_ rubs his chin, "That's helpful." He spreads his hands about 18 inches apart and holds them up to Acadia. "Hrmmm...."
(1:19:52:16] <magnus_> "We don't know what the Kervic has on the other side though."
(1:19:52:23] <vargas> "No, we don't."
(1:19:53:15] <vargas> "I have two things I want to do as soon as possible."
(1:19:53:54] <vargas> "First, I want to take all the treasure we grabbed, and leave it in the Salt Mine. Acadia, I need your stone shaping today to help seal it away."
(1:19:54:03] <vargas> "Second, I want to hand Faisal over to the Roses."
(1:19:54:14] <vargas> (Boss, what did Milfel say to V's Sending?)
(1:19:54:20] <solaire> https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/943200_10151587696019617_253009362_n.jpg If if this was what game of thrones was like UI'dwatch it
(1:19:54:20] <d_m> Oh yeah!
(1:19:54:26] * Acadia nods.
(1:19:54:53] <acadia> (Um. What?)
(1:19:55:12] <magnus_> (Never seen it, Bill)
(1:19:56:53] <d_m> Milfel's response: "Made contact with roses stop. Agreed to help stop. Wait for me at Kazen Square stop."
(1:19:57:49] <vargas> "Who wants to go with me to Sil? I can bring two people with me. The third will be an unconscious Faisal."
(1:19:58:05] <vargas> (Unless we dinged last session, in which case I can bring one more person.)
(1:19:58:16] <d_m> No dings yet.
(1:19:58:23] <magnus_> "Will you need me to deal with the elves again?"
(1:19:58:36] <vargas> "You have a good reputation with them, Magnus."
(1:19:58:52] <solaire> (That is trogdor the burninator you foolz)
(1:19:58:58] <vargas> "On an unrelated note, Ibram, I think you need to talk to Brrk."
(1:19:59:21] <vargas> "You need to tell her that our journey together is going to end. She needs to decide what she's going to do."
(1:19:59:33] <solaire> <ibram> "She'll die."
(1:19:59:53] <vargas> "I don't understand."
(1:20:00:19] <solaire> <ibram> "She's a goblin in a world of men and elves and orcs. She'll die."
(1:20:00:40] <magnus_> "I think I do...a solitary goblin for starters, and her own kind can probably tell who she's been living with."
(1:20:00:42] <vargas> "She could survive here in Akor."
(1:20:01:25] <vargas> "If that can't work, you need to ask her where she wants to go."
(1:20:02:41] <d_m> Take her back to Herzland. Permanent goblin henchwoman.
(1:20:03:16] * Magnus_ seems to be still contemplating on the ring. He makes the eighteen inch distance between his hands again and holds it up to his head.
(1:20:04:36] <vargas> (Typing Bill?)
(1:20:04:47] <solaire> <ibram> "I'll ask her, yeah."
(1:20:05:02] <solaire> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6YQeovB4q4
(1:20:05:07] * Acadia walks into the room. "Did you find out where the girl is?"
(1:20:05:09] <vargas> "Magnus, you aren't thinking of sticking your head through it, are you?"
(1:20:05:35] <magnus_> "My head would be rather obvious."
(1:20:05:41] * Acadia looks at Magnus and cocks an eyebrow.
(1:20:06:27] * Vargas thinks. "If that worked, I wonder what the teleport range would be. Could I just dimension step you through by holding your hand... hmmm."
(1:20:06:35] <magnus_> "Plus if someone saw me, they'd know that Faisal was no longer in control of the ring."
(1:20:06:49] <vargas> "I could turn your head invisible."
(1:20:07:34] <magnus_> "Could I make headless half-orc ghost jokes?"
(1:20:07:50] <vargas> "If you really, really wanted."
(1:20:08:22] <d_m> So, first step is burying the cash, right?
(1:20:08:23] <magnus_> "Worth a chance to look? I think wherever this ring goes to is probably not far from where Miriam will be."
(1:20:08:35] <vargas> (yes, bury cash. FF a bit?)
(1:20:08:47] <d_m> As you please. You can get that done in short order.
(1:20:09:04] <vargas> FF through burying the money. Now we just have the Sil.
(1:20:09:22] <vargas> (Who wants to go with me?)
(1:20:09:40] <magnus_> (Magnus will)
(1:20:09:51] <solaire> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wi4W2ATGAs Ibram has a conversation with Magnus. Because he mad
(1:20:10:06] <vargas> (Why not Bill, since he volunteered to be dead for a whole game)
(1:20:10:23] <vargas> (Is that okay, Acadia?)
(1:20:10:36] <magnus_> (So true)
(1:20:10:40] <solaire> <ibram> "I'll go."
(1:20:10:57] <vargas> (done. We knock Faisal out, bag him, and take him to Sil.)
(1:20:11:02] <acadia> (Sure thing)
(1:20:11:36] <d_m> So be it. What time of day, and where exactly do you jump into Sil? The same place you stayed last time?
(1:20:12:14] <vargas> (Yeah, same place. We did the interrogation in the morning. Bury money takes a couple hours. So let's say Noon.)
(1:20:12:49] <d_m> Interrogation plus rez plus bury money. We'll say late afternoon.
(1:20:12:59] <vargas> (sure)
(1:20:13:24] <d_m> All right, ready, set, jump.
(1:20:13:41] <vargas> "Welcome to Sil, Ibram."
(1:20:13:50] <magnus_> (And Blondie let that guy live, Bill)
(1:20:14:04] <d_m> It is several hours earlier, by the sun, in Sil. Early afternoon.
(1:20:14:28] <solaire> (He did)
(1:20:14:50] <vargas> "Human wizardry isn't permitted in the city, so keep that in mind. Let's find our way to Kazen Square."
(1:20:16:10] <d_m> So, first things first, get a room for the evening. You can do that pretty easily. The proprietor remembers you, and you've got the cash.
(1:20:16:13] <d_m> What then?
(1:20:16:33] * Vargas asks for directions to the Square from the innkeep.
(1:20:17:08] <d_m> Easy, not far from where you're staying. Milfel probably anticipated that.
(1:20:18:03] <vargas> "Alright. He expects me and Magnus. They've never seen you Ibram. Do you want to hang back just in case?"
(1:20:19:04] * Magnus_ glances around the house and quietly moves back up to his room where he starts going through his belongings.
(1:20:19:07] <solaire> <ibram> "You mean stay here?"
(1:20:19:15] <vargas> "No, just walk behind us."
(1:20:21:03] <vargas> "No, nevermind. I think you should just go with us."
(1:20:21:25] <d_m> So how do you want to do it? And when?
(1:20:21:35] <solaire> <ibram> "All right." *He dragon kings it up*
(1:20:21:59] * Vargas asks the innkeep when the Square might be less populated. When the traffic lightens up.
(1:20:22:07] <vargas> (i.e. nightfall ish?)
(1:20:22:45] <d_m> Yup. Once sun sets, things will be quieter there.
(1:20:23:28] <vargas> "Magnus, would you buy a trunk? Or a coffin?"
(1:20:24:14] <d_m> Magnus, you are able to go out and buy a storage chest with a stout latch and hinges.
(1:20:24:31] <magnus_> (Uh....I thought Magnus was back in Akor? Or are you calling Ibram Magnus?"
(1:20:24:34] <magnus_> )
(1:20:24:39] <vargas> (You both went to Sil with me)
(1:20:24:50] <magnus_> (Ah.)
(1:20:25:05] <d_m> To confirm, you are able to transport Magnus, Ibram, and Faisal with you in the one jump?
(1:20:25:08] <vargas> "Alright, now for the trust part. Let's go and find a place to wait."
(1:20:25:11] <vargas> (Yes, boss)
(1:20:26:20] <magnus_> "Are we stashing Faisal in the trunk?"
(1:20:26:21] <d_m> So there you go, Magnus. You're there with Ibram, Faisal, and Vargas. You acquired a box?
(1:20:26:31] <magnus_> (yes)
(1:20:26:32] <vargas> "Yes, Magnus."
(1:20:26:35] <d_m> "You are absolutely not putting me in that box."
(1:20:26:41] <d_m> Close.
(1:20:26:42] <d_m> Latch.
(1:20:26:54] <d_m> Muffled: "Gd dmnt!"
(1:20:27:04] <vargas> "Noblemen."
(1:20:27:18] <d_m> Leave box in hotel room for now?
(1:20:27:22] * Magnus_ says to the box, "It was either whole, or in two pieces, Faisal. You made a wise choice."
(1:20:27:57] <vargas> "I was thinking of bringing him with us. Any objections?"
(1:20:28:14] * Magnus_ coughs and looks at Vargas a bit, "Not from me, so long as he doesn't make a lot of noise."
(1:20:29:04] <d_m> You can acquire a cart, and Magnus and Ibram can take turns pulling him.
(1:20:29:09] <vargas> (Let's do that)
(1:20:29:48] <solaire> <ibram> *is incredibly amused by all this*
(1:20:30:43] <d_m> All right. You tow the box to the Square that very night. There is a small fountain with some stone benches near it where you can sit. There is a small stand nearby where you can buy some pastries while you wait.
(1:20:31:07] <vargas> "Oh man, these honey glazed buns reminds me of home."
(1:20:31:29] <vargas> "It's hard to believe we might be going home soon."
(1:20:31:33] <vargas> "It's been so long."
(1:20:31:41] <d_m> A human in a pointy hat, a human in armor, and a half-orc armored cleric, and a large chest to which they occasionally issue stern warnings. ... The local elves make a point of looking the other way.
(1:20:33:16] * Magnus_ keeps his hood up over his head and leans on his ebony staff. He eyes the square.
(1:20:33:21] <d_m> So, what do you do to pass the time? How do you wait?
(1:20:33:23] <d_m> Or do you?
(1:20:34:16] <vargas> "Well, Milfel knows what we were coming tonight. Hopefully we don't have to wait forever."
(1:20:35:05] * Vargas stays on watch.
(1:20:35:12] * Magnus_ quietly feels the side of his cloak, yep..it's there.
(1:20:35:13] <d_m> The occasional merchant or random non-elf citizen wanders by. It seems like the non-elf infrastructure of this town stays active a bit longer than the hoity toity elf types.
(1:20:35:45] <vargas> "If I see those three thugs, I'm going to laugh so hard."
(1:20:36:25] <magnus_> "Thugs?"
(1:20:36:44] <vargas> "The first time I came to this city, I came alone. I was trying to sell a vast fortune in material."
(1:20:37:14] <vargas> "But since humans are so reviled here, I tried to disguise myself. And three thugs saw me, and decided to stalk me."
(1:20:37:54] <vargas> "Eventually they cornered me in a street where I couldn't use magic publicly, and they wanted to beat me up. I ran away rather than start a fight."
(1:20:38:14] <magnus_> "So they might still be around?"
(1:20:38:21] <vargas> "Probably."
(1:20:38:46] <vargas> "But I doubt they would recognize me. I'm not dressed like a normal human."
(1:20:38:59] <solaire> <ibram> "Ow! My toof!" *he spits into his hand*
(1:20:39:19] <vargas> "Seed, Ibram?"
(1:20:39:24] * Magnus_ glances over at Ibram.
(1:20:39:52] <solaire> <ibram> *fishes around in the stuff he spit out*
(1:20:40:49] <d_m> It's a small metal capsule.
(1:20:41:38] <solaire> <ibram> *hands it to V* "Weird."
(1:20:42:01] * Vargas examines it. "Hah, reminds me of something Benny would do."
(1:20:42:03] <solaire> <ibram> I knew we shouldn't have gotten anything from a guy named CMOT dibbler.
(1:20:42:08] <vargas> (Does it open?)
(1:20:42:09] <d_m> You can open it to find a note. It says: "The Tuvanen Fish House. Go."
(1:20:42:25] <vargas> "New destination. Tuvanen Fish House?"
(1:20:42:45] <solaire> <ibram> "Check it."
(1:20:42:45] * Vargas looks for somebody who can tell him where that is.
(1:20:44:29] <d_m> Anyone can tell you where that is. It's in the fish district, of course. It's a fish monger's warehouse with an attached fish restaurant.
(1:20:44:44] <vargas> "Magnus, Ibram, let's get this cart rolling."
(1:20:44:51] <d_m> You roll out.
(1:20:45:31] <d_m> The fish district is as you'd expect. It's dark now, almost no one about. The smell of fish is strong in the air. The shops are closed. You are all but alone in the streets.
(1:20:45:50] <magnus_> (putting darkvision to work)
(1:20:45:55] <d_m> Roger.
(1:20:45:58] <vargas> (ditto)
(1:20:47:17] <d_m> The Tuvanen Fish House restaurant is closed. There are a few lights inside, probably the owners cleaning up. The warehouse/fish-prep area is attached to the back, and is dark and empty.
(1:20:48:08] <vargas> "Wait here guys."
(1:20:48:16] * Vargas goes up to the door, and knocks.
(1:20:48:53] <d_m> Restaurant?
(1:20:48:57] <vargas> (Yeah)
(1:20:49:03] <d_m> GUPC.
(1:20:49:09] <vargas> ,roll 1d20+17
(1:20:49:09] <clockwork> Vargas: 19:2+17
(1:20:50:56] <d_m> You hear nothing.
(1:20:51:06] <d_m> Wait, no, footsteps approaching.
(1:20:51:24] * Vargas gives the door some space.
(1:20:51:24] <d_m> And then an old man's voice. "Who's there?"
(1:20:51:45] * Vargas answers in elven, "Future customers. When do you open tomorrow?"
(1:20:53:23] <d_m> "An hour 'fore sun-up! No business 'til then!"
(1:20:53:42] <magnus_> "Ask about honey buns."
(1:20:54:18] <solaire> <ibram> "Er... we were wonderin if you had any honey buns in particular.!"
(1:20:54:21] <vargas> "Ah, okay. Hey, does anybody named Milfel work here. Older guy, loves honey buns?"
(1:20:54:53] <vargas> (doh, didn't see you guys before I hit enter)
(1:20:54:56] <vargas> (my bad)
(1:20:55:05] <d_m> "No one by that name here! Please come back in the mornin'!--And we don't serve honey-buns!"
(1:20:55:21] <vargas> "Okay. Sorry to trouble you."
(1:20:55:48] <vargas> [Let's go to the rear, guys.]
(1:20:56:39] * Magnus_ glances around the area quietly."
(1:20:57:28] <d_m> Again, the streets are quiet. Someone down the street pushing a cart. Another someone in the other direction, lighting the street lamps.
(1:20:57:42] <vargas> ,roll 1d20+17 (perc for searching the back area)
(1:20:57:42] <clockwork> Vargas, (perc for searching the back area): 25:8+17
(1:20:57:44] <d_m> No one in your immediate vicinity.
(1:20:58:00] <d_m> You make your way around back by an adjacent alley, unobserved.
(1:20:58:17] <d_m> GUPCs for each of you. Got Vargas's.
(1:20:58:47] <solaire> ,roll 1d20+2
(1:20:58:47] <clockwork> Solaire: 4:2+2
(1:21:00:17] <magnus_> (What is that again? wisdom?)
(1:21:00:28] <d_m> Yes.
(1:21:00:30] <vargas> (perception + wisdom + d20)
(1:21:00:35] <d_m> Perception skill
(1:21:00:43] <magnus_> ,roll 1d20+5
(1:21:00:44] <clockwork> Magnus_: 10:5+5
(1:21:02:18] <d_m> You find a door into the warehouse. It turns out to be on the inside a sort of courtyard structure. Roofed around the perimeter, over the fish-cutting benches. Open in the middle. The moonlight filters in. The stench of fish and the presence of flies are both extreme.
(1:21:03:41] <d_m> Nothing presents itself to a casual glance, gents, but you don't believe yourself to have been observed entering. Take the time for a take 10 or 20?
(1:21:03:44] <magnus_> "Enticing."
(1:21:04:15] * Vargas sighs. "Ugh. Nothing yet. Help me look around."
(1:21:04:28] <vargas> (You guys roll to assist, and I take 20?)
(1:21:04:35] <solaire> (Sure)
(1:21:04:35] <d_m> Could do that.
(1:21:04:51] <magnus_> ,roll 1d20+5
(1:21:04:51] <clockwork> Magnus_: 6:1+5
(1:21:05:05] <d_m> Magnus gets distracted by inner conflict or something.
(1:21:05:40] * Magnus_ says in elven as he looks around, "We are alone, and we have a package."
(1:21:06:31] * Vargas .oO(Why do they have to make it so hard sometimes?)
(1:21:07:29] <d_m> It takes some time, Vargas, but eventually you spot something. Under the moonlight in the middle area of the warehouse, a glistening on the floor.
(1:21:07:50] * Vargas .oO(Oh gosh darn it. I bet somebody feels so clever.)
(1:21:08:19] * Vargas inspects with detect magic. If he finds no auras, he will pick it up with his knife.
(1:21:08:40] <d_m> On closer inspection, it looks like someone has smeared some fish-oil there on the floor boards, is all. But the smears are definitely intentional.
(1:21:09:01] * Vargas whispers, "Ibram, Magnus, help me with these."
(1:21:09:14] * Vargas looks for a way to lift the boards.
(1:21:09:42] <solaire> ,roll 1d20+2
(1:21:09:43] <clockwork> Solaire: 5:3+2
(1:21:09:49] * Magnus_ eyes the smears to see if they are a language.
(1:21:09:53] <solaire> <ibram> "okay."
(1:21:10:14] <d_m> Magnus, you think it might be symbology of some sort.
(1:21:10:30] <d_m> Vargas and Ibram start prying up the floorboards.
(1:21:10:30] <vargas> (Like a map?)
(1:21:10:42] * Magnus_ tries to put that to memory.
(1:21:10:49] <d_m> You're not sure. You would need some better way to view the oil smears.
(1:21:10:56] <d_m> Right now, it's just a faint wetness on the boards.
(1:21:11:08] <vargas> "Hold on a sec."
(1:21:11:11] <magnus_> "Do you have a parchment, V?"
(1:21:11:20] <vargas> "Which parchment?"
(1:21:11:28] <magnus_> "Any blank parchment."
(1:21:11:35] <vargas> "I should have something."
(1:21:11:44] <vargas> "Want me to move around with my glow torch?"
(1:21:12:14] <magnus_> "No. That is fine. We can copy this for later."
(1:21:12:22] <d_m> Copy what, Magnus?
(1:21:12:36] * Vargas tries using his everburning stone to get a better look.
(1:21:12:42] <magnus_> (Would Magnus have his harversack of belongings again, now that the gold is empty?)
(1:21:12:49] <d_m> (Yes.)
(1:21:13:28] <d_m> Vargas, you can see that there's definitely some symbology or simple writing here. If you spend enough time, you might be able to get a sense of it with reflections. Either that, or come up with some other method.
(1:21:14:08] <vargas> "What sticks to fish oil?"
(1:21:14:17] * Magnus_ snaps his fingers and reaches into his pack for a minute drawing out his own blank scroll of parchment. He places it onto the symbol and waits for the oil or moisture to soak in. When that is done he reaches down into some dust and sprinkles it onto the grease stained paper to make the symbol visible.
(1:21:14:24] <vargas> "Would flower or anything congeal with it?"
(1:21:14:41] * Vargas looks for something that could be used to congeal with it, or change the color.
(1:21:14:58] <d_m> Magnus is using dust from the street. You can try that.
(1:21:15:08] * Vargas tries Magnus' method.
(1:21:15:21] <d_m> Magnus gets a little sticking to the paper. Vargas tries applying to the boards directly.
(1:21:15:45] * Magnus_ glances at his parchment copy and examines it.
(1:21:15:46] <d_m> You get dust here and there. Magnus shakes his paper, and the loose dust falls off. A portion of the symbol is barely legible as a result. Vargas, GUPC.
(1:21:16:01] <vargas> ,roll 1d20+17 (perc)
(1:21:16:02] <clockwork> Vargas, (perc): 23:6+17
(1:21:16:12] <vargas> (somebody assist me for another +2)
(1:21:16:22] <d_m> When he shakes the paper, some of the dusty you scattered on the floor is blown about.
(1:21:16:50] <magnus_> ,roll 1d20+5
(1:21:16:51] <clockwork> Magnus_: 21:16+5
(1:21:16:59] <d_m> Magnus is able to point this out to you if you didn't notice.
(1:21:17:13] <vargas> Does the oily dust stick?
(1:21:17:16] <d_m> Yup.
(1:21:17:30] * Vargas goes about using the dusting method to get a better picture.
(1:21:17:47] * Vargas uses his hat as a fan.
(1:21:17:56] <d_m> You blow away the loose dust and reveal the message.
(1:21:17:58] <magnus_> (Did that dust blowing about go in a particular pattern over the boards? Like a draft?)
(1:21:19:53] <d_m> It says, "+ Leaf & Gold, go now"
(1:21:20:20] <vargas> "Lovely. Leaf and Gold."
(1:21:20:28] <vargas> (any recollection of this place?)
(1:21:20:50] <d_m> K. Local or just a memory check.
(1:21:21:19] <vargas> ,roll 1d20+11 (k. local)
(1:21:21:19] <clockwork> Vargas, (k. local): 14:3+11
(1:21:21:29] <d_m> Magnus, INT check.
(1:21:21:37] * Magnus_ reaches down after V has read it and smears the dust and oil with his hand.
(1:21:21:51] <magnus_> ,roll 1d20+5
(1:21:21:52] <clockwork> Magnus_: 6:1+5
(1:21:22:11] <d_m> Ya'll are fail. :-) Ibram, you can roll an INT check too.
(1:21:23:07] <d_m> Vargas, note that there are no typos in my presentation of the message.
(1:21:23:25] <d_m> It starts with a +
(1:21:23:49] <vargas> "Wait, do you think that's an intersection? Lead and Gold street crossing?"
(1:21:23:55] <d_m> Indeed!
(1:21:24:06] <vargas> (err, leaf. errg)
(1:21:24:15] <d_m> You remember such streets, and can find the intersection of them.
(1:21:24:35] <vargas> "Let's go. I think I recall a gold street. Maybe a leaf street."
(1:21:26:03] <d_m> You find one, and after asking a passing vagrant for directions, you are able to find where it intersects the other.
(1:21:26:21] <solaire> ,roll 1d20+2
(1:21:26:21] <clockwork> Solaire: 13:11+2
(1:21:27:14] <d_m> You arrive at the intersection. It is an ordinary intersection of streets in this town.
(1:21:27:27] <vargas> "Okay. Look for clues again."
(1:21:27:36] <vargas> ,roll 1d20+17 (yay!)
(1:21:27:36] <clockwork> Vargas, (yay!): 32:15+17
(1:21:27:46] <magnus_> ,roll 1d20+5
(1:21:27:46] <clockwork> Magnus_: 14:9+5
(1:21:28:56] <d_m> Vargas, you observe a glinting light.
(1:21:29:11] <vargas> (what is glinting?)
(1:21:29:49] <d_m> In a window of a small house nearby, a candle is being intermittently shrouded and unshrouded. It's not just a curtain in the breeze. It's too regular. As soon as you try to study it, though, it goes out.
(1:21:30:08] * Vargas will go to that house, and knock on the door.
(1:21:31:25] * Magnus_ says to Ibram in a low whisper, "Does our cargo seem to be getting heavy? I never knew noblemen weighed so much."
(1:21:31:50] <d_m> You go to the door, Vargas, and knock. No response. GUPC.
(1:21:31:59] <vargas> ,roll 1d20+17 (yay?)
(1:21:31:59] <clockwork> Vargas, (yay?): 25:8+17
(1:21:32:16] <d_m> Good enough. There is a vagrant across the street watching you.
(1:21:32:29] <d_m> Your party does make a bit of a spectacle.
(1:21:33:39] <vargas> [Either we are supposed to follow that vagrant, or we need to make him vanish before they'll let us in.]
(1:21:34:29] <magnus_> [Coin says a lot]
(1:21:35:08] <vargas> [Feel free.]
(1:21:36:27] * Magnus_ reaches into a belt pouch and flips a silver coin at the vagrant.
(1:21:36:59] <d_m> The vagrant goes wide-eyed and mutters something thankful in a local dialect you don't recognize.
(1:21:37:11] <d_m> He seems intent on kissing your feet, Magnus.
(1:21:37:42] * Magnus_ makes a shhh...motion with his finger and waves the vagrant off.
(1:21:38:05] <d_m> after some vigorous shoo-ing, he gets the message and makes himself scarce.
(1:21:38:15] <d_m> Vargas, the door opens.
(1:21:38:25] <d_m> It's Milfel.
(1:21:38:25] * Vargas looks inside.
(1:21:38:47] * Vargas speaks in elven, "Hi."
(1:21:38:51] <d_m> He is occupying a small house, little more than a city hovel.
(1:21:39:07] <vargas> [Grab the trunk, guys.]
(1:21:39:10] <d_m> "Get inside, quickly. Close the door. You were not followed; this is good."
(1:21:39:15] <solaire> <ibram> *just stand with V, not sure what the fuck is going on. He grabs the fuckin trunk*
(1:21:39:36] * Vargas heads inside.
(1:21:39:38] <d_m> He leads you inside and directs you to drop the trunk in the unfurnished common room.
(1:21:39:52] <d_m> The trunk goes, "Oof."
(1:21:40:14] <magnus_> (It was a hard drop)
(1:21:40:29] <d_m> Milfel smirks. "Very well. You brought the payment as well. The Steel Rose will help you."
(1:21:40:33] <vargas> (Drop the bass.)
(1:21:41:19] * Vargas nods. "Good. Very good. I'm afraid time is running short for my comrades and I. We have some additional intel too."
(1:21:41:47] <d_m> "Speak first, and then I will tell you what I am authorized to tell you."
(1:21:42:16] <d_m> Another shadowy figure, human-looking comes from the back, meets eyes with Milfel. Milfel nods, and the stranger nods and slips into the back again.
(1:21:42:38] <vargas> "Magnus, can you share what you learned?"
(1:21:42:49] <vargas> (the mountains north of sil and whatnot)
(1:21:43:12] <d_m> Everything you got from the Sil hawks, you mean?
(1:21:43:39] <vargas> (That's one part. But Faisal also squealed too something about those mountains)
(1:21:43:49] <d_m> Ah, k.
(1:21:43:51] <vargas> (Sil had different positions of warlords and whatnot)
(1:21:44:14] * Magnus_ glances behind him for a minute. He looks back to Milfel. "While they do have elves working for them...they are most likely in a Gott temple. Or a citadel that has one. It is located in the mountains."
(1:21:44:42] <magnus_> "Or very near the mountains."
(1:21:44:43] * Vargas will share what he recalls from the Sil hawks, but acts surprised that Milfel didn't already know this information.
(1:21:45:38] <d_m> Surprised if, you mean?
(1:21:45:44] <vargas> (yes)
(1:21:45:50] <d_m> Roger.
(1:21:47:10] <d_m> You lay it all out there, and Milfel takes it all in. "This is good information. Much we already know to be true. We will put Faisal under the knife to learn more, but you say your time is short, yes?"
(1:21:48:08] <vargas> "Yes. We may have only days. What of our demands?"
(1:21:50:05] * Magnus_ signs quietly behind his back for Ibram. [Be aware.]
(1:21:50:07] <d_m> Heh, remind me of the full list in IM. I only remember the major highlights.
(1:21:50:30] <vargas> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqDXX-eecfTedERfN0xnRTA4Sk1nUDMtX00xLWUzeVE&usp=sharing
(1:21:52:19] <solaire> <ibram> [of/]
(1:21:53:00] <magnus_> [The one that was in the shadows.]
(1:21:53:27] <magnus_> [Keep an eye out.]
(1:21:54:10] <d_m> "We have found a diamond which meets your specifications," says Milfel. "They are very costly to acquire, but we can get them for you if you have the money for them. Your books, what we could find which might answer your questions, are waiting for you in a safe place. As to the magic--" Milfel shakes his head. "We have no mages in our order of such power, but we believe the Kervics may. I will give you the information we have abo
(1:21:54:18] <d_m> ... I will give you the information we have about their... assets."
(1:21:57:30] <vargas> "How quickly can you purchase the talisman quartz? I hope you understand this is a perilously cheap price for Faisal, and possibly a King. I don't have time to go wizard hunting across their kingdom."
(1:21:58:01] <vargas> "Tell us everything you can."
(1:22:00:23] <d_m> "Purchase is a strong word for it, but we should have them by the time you have found your girl. The contacts are in place. Meantime, you will not have to hunt. With our combined knowledge, I will be able to tell you where they are. My compatriot is bringing the last tool we need."
(1:22:00:44] <d_m> "Please, sit and wait. He will be back shortly."
(1:22:01:07] <vargas> ,roll 1d20+17 (sense motive)
(1:22:01:08] <clockwork> Vargas, (sense motive): 20:3+17
(1:22:01:13] <d_m> Milfel brews tea. You all wait. Magnus and Ibram keep a watch at the windows for any undue interest in the house, but you see none.
(1:22:01:19] <vargas> (dice bot is such a jerk lately)
(1:22:01:22] <d_m> Vargas, as far as you know, the guy is playing fair.
(1:22:01:43] <d_m> A while later, the shady human returns through some back entrance to the hovel, and with him, he brings... a map.
(1:22:01:57] * Vargas is visibly anxious. Ibram's words ring in his memory. Keep the ones that matter.
(1:22:03:01] <d_m> The rest of the night is spent collating intelligence. You are able to plot the major strongholds of the Kervics north of Sil, and what the Hawks know about each. Milfel is able, based on this data, to tell you, according to the latest Steel Rose intel, what the Kervics and their allies are doing at each base, and what resources martial and magical they have at each.
(1:22:04:32] <d_m> When all is said and done, you are both convinced that you have narrowed down to one specific fortress the location where Faisal's half-brother Danner is holed up and has been coordinating the dig efforts in the far east.
(1:22:05:29] <vargas> "Interesting. How far is that place?"
(1:22:05:51] <d_m> It is within a single teleport jump of Sil, you determine.
(1:22:07:02] <vargas> "Okay. So, this is it. Our one chance at a first strike before they realize Faisal is gone."
(1:22:07:17] <d_m> Your strategic picture is sharpened dramatically by dawn. Only one element is not in clear focus, a small new puzzle: It is believed that Kervic has in his employ a small conclave of elvish mystics from an unknown realm, and these he hides most jealously. The Steel Rose have only heard rumors of them.
(1:22:07:54] <vargas> "Really?"
(1:22:07:57] <d_m> They could be in any of these bases near Sil, or in some other site kept secret and as yet undiscovered by the Sil government or by the rose.
(1:22:08:36] * Vargas thinks about the gates.
(1:22:08:53] <vargas> (What can I deduce from the crafting of the gate itself?)
(1:22:09:04] <vargas> (Is it human made, or elven?)
(1:22:11:18] <d_m> Thinking back to your brief examination, it's hard to say. They are absolutely simple under exterior observation, with only a few small symbols which you did not recognize at all. You were able to identify the caster level, and you've rarely witnessed such advanced arcane magic. You doubt it was made by the Kervics themselves.
(1:22:11:31] <d_m> Perhaps made by these mysterious mystics? Or perhaps a recovered artifact.
(1:22:11:36] <d_m> Impossible to say.
(1:22:12:11] <vargas> "Maybe these mystics are the reason the Kervics even know that the Tauli exist."
(1:22:12:54] <vargas> "I suppose it doesn't matter. We have no choice but to engage to rescue Miriam."
(1:22:14:09] <d_m> So what next?
(1:22:14:10] * Vargas paces with great agitation.
(1:22:14:25] <magnus_> "Do you think that ring will still be a good bet to get there?"
(1:22:14:43] <d_m> Or rather, we're going to have to call it here as far as live play. I have to be up very early tomorrow.
(1:22:14:51] <d_m> But feel free to describe your basic plan.
(1:22:14:54] <magnus_> (Same)
(1:22:15:48] <vargas> "All we know is the the brother on the other end of the ring knows about Miriam. It might be Danner, or it might be Kervic himself."
(1:22:16:18] <magnus_> "Faisal called him brother, yes?"
(1:22:16:23] <vargas> "If I stick my head through it, I can teleport you there with no chance of mishap. Assuming it is possible to stick my head through."
(1:22:16:43] <magnus_> "Unless the bowl and the ring go to two different places."
(1:22:17:22] <vargas> "Possible, but less likely."
(1:22:18:11] <vargas> "If it is this castle, the Danner castle, we know a little bit about the resources there. But still, it is a whole castle. We would need to find Danner."
(1:22:18:25] <magnus_> "Would you only be able to teleport one person there at a time? ...if you can do it through the ring that is."
(1:22:19:04] <vargas> "I'm not entirely certain, but since I would exist on both sides I could in theory just dimension step you through. It wouldn't even be a full teleport."
(1:22:19:29] <magnus_> "Acadia should be able to fit through on her own as well."
(1:22:19:31] <d_m> Vargas, based on an initial spellcraft analysis, the gate would have no impact on your teleport or d-step.
(1:22:19:57] <d_m> You would be charged full distance, in other words.
(1:22:20:21] <vargas> (ah, okay. The only different is that I'd be doing a teleport within my line of sight, not a vision or memory)
(1:22:21:36] <d_m> You're pretty sure that to perform an actual magical incantation, you'd have to pull your head out of the hoop. However, you would retain a very clear picture of what you just saw, of course.
(1:22:22:11] <vargas> (oh, Magnus pointed something out)
(1:22:22:24] <d_m> ?
(1:22:22:41] <vargas> (The ring has a range limit of 100 miles. So if it is 100 miles from the digsite, we should know if that is the Danner castle, or not.)
(1:22:24:17] <d_m> You know which one is the Danner castle. It is much more than 100 miles from the dig site.
(1:22:24:51] <vargas> (okay, so we can't use that method to get the Danner. Okay, that's good to know)
(1:22:25:04] <vargas> (The gate could lead to a simple courier post, and nothing more)
(1:22:25:20] <d_m> That is a valid deduction.
(1:22:26:30] <vargas> What kinds of places on the map are near Danner? btw, is this castle Dannerholm, aka Home of the Hunts and the Avenue of the Sun in V's time?
(1:22:27:37] * Magnus_ looks at the map, "Do you know of any of these places that had been seiged, Vargas?"
(1:22:27:41] <d_m> Negative. Danner Kervic is one of the sons of the current King Kervic, and most of these outposts are currently wilderness forts. Mostly wooden construction.
(1:22:27:51] <acadia> (If we just want to investigate, V could turn A invisible, and A could turn into a mouse and hop through the ring.)
(1:22:28:09] <acadia> (Maybe get some more info on Danner through that route?)
(1:22:28:33] <vargas> (Possibly. We just may not have the time.)
(1:22:28:46] <vargas> (We probably need a direct line to Danner fort ASAP)
(1:22:29:09] <acadia> (Gotcha.)
(1:22:29:24] <vargas> "My people can barely map their own farmland. I have no idea, Magnus. Lost to time."
(1:22:29:26] <d_m> I can give you more intel over the course of the week about the Danner fort.
(1:22:30:01] <magnus_> There may be another gate at the outpost.
(1:22:30:30] <magnus_> A series of gates would allow a quick movement around the country that Kervic has.
(1:22:31:02] <magnus_> It's Stargate, baby!
(1:22:31:07] <vargas> "I don't think so. This gate is incredibly powerful magic. I seriously doubt they have that many. I'm not sure I could make this gate myself."
(1:22:33:44] <acadia> (Maybe the magic water can offer some insight into Danner that V could use?)
(1:22:35:18] <vargas> (If we had enough time, I think we could. I am not sure we have enough time thought)
(1:22:37:18] <magnus_> (We have a limited window on raising Miriam after all)
(1:22:39:59] <acadia> (Hm…. Running out of ideas)
(1:22:40:16] <vargas> (We don't have to solve it tonight.)
(1:22:40:27] <vargas> (We can get close to Danner, and foot it if we have to)
(1:22:46:26] <solaire> (wake me up when people need to die)
(1:22:46:58] <vargas> Ancient is just buying time until he can have /everybody/ is all.
(1:22:47:18] <acadia> (cool, cool)
(1:22:47:42] =-= Magnus_ is now known as Nacht
(1:22:47:55] <nacht> I have to get to bed. Sorry, ya'll.
(1:22:48:01] <vargas> Me too
(1:22:48:03] <vargas> Night all
(1:22:48:07] [INFO] Disconnecting from IRC. Click close again to exit now.
(1:22:48:07] [QUIT] Disconnected from irc://irc.esper.net/ (irc://irc.esper.net/). [[Reconnect][Reconnect to irc.esper.net][reconnect]]

28APR13

Clockwork Rivet