12JUL12

Conversation with #beyondshadowrun at Thu 12 Jul 2012 08:06:15 PM EDT on Rivet_@irc.esper.net (irc)
(08:06:16 PM) #beyondshadowrun: mode (+nt ) by optical.esper.net
(08:38:03 PM) Vargas [~chatzilla@c-71-56-87-98.hsd1.ga.comcast.net] entered the room.
(09:04:54 PM) Rivet_: What were you two looking to accomplish tonight, anyway?
(09:05:12 PM) Vargas: Free RP I think. Acadia trying to set up a magic tattoo parlour.
(09:42:03 PM) Siren [~Jolee@ip68-105-1-229.br.br.cox.net] entered the room.
(09:42:12 PM) Vargas: Hellos
(09:42:12 PM) Siren: I am so so so sorry!
(09:42:26 PM) Vargas: No worries. Did you forget?
(09:42:28 PM) Siren: I totally forgot that you guys were Eastern time.
(09:42:35 PM) Rivet_: s'aright
(09:42:37 PM) Vargas: Doh!
(09:42:45 PM) Ancient [~Ancient@mobile-166-147-127-132.mycingular.net] entered the room.
(09:42:51 PM) Vargas: What was our goal this evening?
(09:43:43 PM) Siren: I feel bad. I won't forget again. Um, I think we were going to explore Acadia's business adventures.
(09:43:51 PM) Siren: A little bit.
(09:43:55 PM) Siren: Business ventures*
(09:44:10 PM) Vargas: Ventures are adventures. That's the truth.
(09:44:32 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah [~Klokwerk_@r75-110-123-103.rmntcmtc02.rcmtnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net] entered the room.
(09:44:40 PM) InquisitorHEX [~Ancient@ip98-166-212-173.hr.hr.cox.net] entered the room.
(09:44:42 PM) Rivet_: ,dhdiv
(09:44:43 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: "Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."
(09:44:43 PM) Emprah [~Emprah@ip98-166-212-173.hr.hr.cox.net] entered the room.
(09:44:44 PM) Siren: Yeah, I guess that's true.
(09:45:00 PM) Siren: Was Serri supposed to meet us here?
(09:45:05 PM) Vargas: Serri is Rivet
(09:45:12 PM) Siren: Oh right!
(09:45:13 PM) Rivet_: *waves*
(09:45:13 PM) Siren: My bad.
(09:45:18 PM) Siren: Sorry, Rivet!
(09:45:18 PM) You are now known as Fake_GM
(09:45:24 PM) Fake_GM: Not a problem
(09:45:34 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah left the room (quit: Remote host closed the connection).
(09:46:15 PM) Siren: (And again, I am super sorry about the time mishap. Please do not feel obligated to stay longer than you can/want if you have other engagements.)
(09:46:30 PM) Fake_GM: Right-o. So this is some time between when you arrived in the city and when you found your landlords had been eaten by barghests, I think?
(09:46:39 PM) Vargas: (No worries. Tomorrow is going to be a fun workday)
(09:46:39 PM) Fake_GM: (nah. I'm usually on until late, anyway.)
(09:47:05 PM) Siren: (Okie dokie.)
(09:47:06 PM) Vargas: (Yeah, we are pre-barghest time I think)
(09:47:14 PM) Siren: Yes, I believe that's true.
(09:48:04 PM) Siren: I believe Ancient said it would span a couple of weeks?
(09:48:37 PM) Fake_GM: Yeah. You guys had plenty of time to get settled and familiar with the city before the adventure began.
(09:48:52 PM) Siren: Right.
(09:49:13 PM) Siren is now known as Acadia
(09:49:15 PM) Fake_GM: A'ight, so Acadia was looking to Vargas to help her market her spellscribing abilities for a bit of extra pocket money.
(09:49:21 PM) Ancient left the room (quit: Ping timeout: 380 seconds).
(09:49:43 PM) Acadia: Yes.
(09:50:01 PM) ***Vargas is ready for a trip to the market.
(09:51:09 PM) ***Acadia is ready to make some coins.
(09:51:46 PM) Vargas: "So, Acadia, our first step is research. We're going to check out the bazaar, and see what kind of competition you'll have for business."
(09:52:07 PM) Acadia: "Competition?"
(09:52:22 PM) ***Vargas nods. "We need to see if anybody else is selling magic tattoos."
(09:53:16 PM) Acadia: "Oh." *nods*
(09:54:05 PM) Vargas: "If there is no competition, that's great. If there is, but they are fake, that's even better. But if there is somebody with the real thing, that's a big deal."
(09:54:21 PM) ***Vargas heads off to the market(s).
(09:54:36 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+18 (Gather Info)
(09:54:36 PM) Emprah: Vargas, (Gather Info): 35:17+18
(09:54:40 PM) Fake_GM: Ok. So it's about a week in. Work has started on the rehab of the house you guys will be renting. You're still staying at the inn. The crafters have just begun settling into their rented workspaces, but, V, you've decided to take the day off to help Acadia.
(09:54:45 PM) ***Acadia knits her brows, considering this. "If there is somebody else, can't we just stop them?"
(09:56:46 PM) Vargas: "Stop them? Well, you could run them out of business by providing a better service. But no, you can't just burn their stall down. That's illegal, and more importantly just bad sportsmanship."
(09:58:07 PM) nacht [Mibbit@ip98-168-148-192.ok.ok.cox.net] entered the room.
(09:58:09 PM) Acadia: "Oh." Acadia makes a face as she considers the concept of "bad sportsmanship."
(09:58:33 PM) nacht: (may I watch?)
(09:58:54 PM) Acadia: (Sure! I don't have a problem.)
(09:59:24 PM) Fake_GM: You work your preliminary contacts among the magewrights and adepts and find that most of them have no idea what you're talking about. Magical tattoos?
(09:59:31 PM) Fake_GM: Rarified artisans such as themselves would never even consider such a thing. Magical is a thing to be treasured, and should be imbued into objects worthy of the power... not scrawled on the skin like the name of a sailor's favorite whore.
(10:00:28 PM) Vargas: "I will be very upset with you if you destroy someone's shop or hurt someone just because they compete with you in the market. But it looks like you might be in luck. They don't seem to be common here."
(10:01:22 PM) Fake_GM: However, the gods only know what mongrel arts are practiced down in the docklands. The place is riddled with barbarians and foreign shamans and whatnot. They might be uncouth enough to attempt such a thing.
(10:01:22 PM) ***Acadia looks a little surprised, but she shrugs. "Okay. Now what?"
(10:03:51 PM) Vargas: "I think we need to check out the docklands. If there is a black market, it will be there, and we might find new avenues for customers there. Like other adventurers."
(10:04:01 PM) Vargas: "If nobles won't buy it, adventurers will."
(10:04:45 PM) Fake_GM: ,roll 1d4
(10:04:45 PM) Emprah: Fake_GM: 4
(10:04:52 PM) Fake_GM: *nod* Carry on.
(10:05:07 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+18 (gather info in docklands)
(10:05:07 PM) Emprah: Vargas, (gather info in docklands): 27:9+18
(10:05:14 PM) ***Acadia nods. Though she understands these things very little, she trusts that Vargas knows what he's talking about.
(10:08:21 PM) Vargas: (ping?)
(10:08:33 PM) Acadia: (pong)
(10:08:43 PM) Fake_GM: Your strange accents and modes of dress make you stand out, even among the mixed company of the waterfront. Most of the people you talk to seem equally clueless about your inquiries and you end up visiting a number of mundane tattooists and the occasional off-market magic shop.
(10:09:31 PM) ***Acadia follows Vargas around, not really knowing what's going on.
(10:10:16 PM) ***Vargas asks Acadia, "Do any of these places make you feel uncomfortable? Like you feel something is wrong?"
(10:10:43 PM) Fake_GM: Unfortunately, the combination you're looking for never quite pops up. There were a couple of native artists who claimed their works were magical, but you were quickly able to work that out.
(10:12:02 PM) ***Acadia shakes her head. "Why?"
(10:12:21 PM) Fake_GM: Though there was a name that came up now and again. Someone called Hush. Stories varied, but most agreed that its a woman (or at least female) and that nobody really knew how to find her.
(10:12:59 PM) Vargas: "You aren't a native. People know you aren't from here, and that makes you a target for thieves. But usually your instincts will tell you when something is wrong."
(10:14:23 PM) ***Acadia nods. She thinks for a moment, then asks Vargas, "If we find any competition doing bad things, can we burn them down then?"
(10:14:41 PM) Vargas: "Why don't we try to find one of these tattoo parlours, and see which one handles the most adventurers or wealthy mercenaries. See if you can't strike a deal with the owner, and chat up the clients and get some word of mouth."
(10:15:00 PM) ***Acadia shrugs. "Okay."
(10:15:22 PM) ***Vargas looks at Acadia, "Only if they attack you. Otherwise, you need to leave it to the local lawmen. If there are any lawmen."
(10:16:30 PM) Fake_GM: There was some interest for your idea, however. Especially if you were able to demonstrate what you were talking about. But whether the demographic of people who want them and people who can afford them synergize... that's another matter.
(10:16:31 PM) ***Acadia nods. "Um... how do you strike a deal?"
(10:17:01 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+18 (Gather Info to find a parlour Acadia could open up shop in. Going to chat up clients to get a feel for which one might have the best traffic to generate word of mouth and get some traffic.)
(10:17:02 PM) Emprah: Vargas, (Gather Info to find a parlour Acadia could open up shop in. Going to chat up clients to get a feel for which one might have the best traffic to generate word of mouth and get some traffic.): 26:8+18
(10:17:44 PM) Vargas: "Well, you know how much it costs to make the tattoo right? Materials and whatnot?"
(10:18:14 PM) ***Acadia nods.
(10:18:50 PM) Vargas: "Pick a price around twice that, and then negociate. Let your client talk it down a bit so they feel good about the deal, but make sure you never lose money. Unless you are doing it as a favor to get even more business."
(10:19:06 PM) Fake_GM: (Out of curiosity - how do these things work? Are they just alternate disposable magic, like psionic tattoos, or like scribing limited-use magic item into yourself?)
(10:20:03 PM) Acadia: (inscribed magic item. Limited uses per day but never used up entirely.)
(10:20:13 PM) Fake_GM: (*nod*)
(10:20:21 PM) Vargas: (It's sorta like a slotless wonderous item I think.)
(10:20:26 PM) nacht: (I want one)
(10:21:22 PM) ***Acadia considers. "Hm.... 1800. Times two?"
(10:21:39 PM) Vargas: "Yeah."
(10:22:01 PM) ***Acadia thinks for a long-ish time.
(10:22:18 PM) Acadia: "Like, 4000?"
(10:22:38 PM) Fake_GM: (Is this a self-contained crafting feat, or do you also have training in Profession: Tattooist?)
(10:23:06 PM) Vargas: "Try 3600, or 3200. Don't get too greedy. Remember, you are asking for a phenominal amount of money."
(10:23:23 PM) Acadia: (It's a craft skill and feat combined.)
(10:23:38 PM) Fake_GM: (craft, that's what I was trying to think of. Right-o)
(10:23:56 PM) Fake_GM: (what's your skill mod on that, then?)
(10:24:04 PM) ***Acadia nods. "Okay."
(10:24:38 PM) Acadia: (6 ranks, +11 total mod)
(10:26:16 PM) Fake_GM: Ok. Just due to your skill at inking, you find that most shops would be more than willing to give you space. Cross-checking that with your economical requirements, your prospects are a good bit smaller. But you come out with 3 potential candidates:
(10:28:12 PM) Fake_GM: A greymarket magic shop run by local gnomes, a tattoo parlor run by a gnoll shaman from the far south, and a human-run tavern that caters to sailors, bravos, and freebooters.
(10:30:12 PM) Vargas: "Hmm. Which one would you like to try?"
(10:31:00 PM) ***Acadia shrugs. "Which will sell more?"
(10:31:44 PM) Vargas: "I'm not sure. The magic shop might have richer clients. But the tavern might have more adventurers."
(10:31:46 PM) ***Vargas shrugs.
(10:32:01 PM) Vargas: "You could always change your mind if you can't sell anything."
(10:32:30 PM) ***Acadia makes a face, thinking. "Hm.... Tavern."
(10:34:16 PM) Vargas: "Tavern it is!"
(10:34:52 PM) ***Acadia nods.
(10:36:31 PM) Fake_GM: Additionally: The shop offers you a really good profit split, and would probably have an easier time helping you find supplies. The tavern owner appears to be out to skin you, but, yes, you would tend to find more adventurers there... drunk adventurers who are more careless with their money.
(10:36:33 PM) Fake_GM: The shaman's rates are somewhere in the middle, but would be where people looking for tattoos would be more likely to come.
(10:36:57 PM) Acadia: Acadia is even a little excited about this. She wears a smirk as she follows Vargas to the tavern. It fades as she finds herself around more and more people.
(10:38:38 PM) Vargas: "Is something the matter?"
(10:39:10 PM) ***Acadia shakes her head. "Just people."
(10:39:36 PM) Fake_GM: It's a pretty typical dive: smoke and old food and body odors hanging heavy in the air. dark wood and brick walls. Cheap furniture that's easy to replace and not quite as dangerous during the inevitable barfight.
(10:40:15 PM) Fake_GM: And crowded with people from all over the known world. And a few from places nobody's ever heard of.
(10:40:44 PM) Vargas: "I bet you can hear some great tales here. Most won't be true, but at least they'll be entertaining."
(10:41:25 PM) ***Acadia smirks again. "And I'll sell stuff?"
(10:42:02 PM) ***Vargas cross his fingers with a smile. "Maybe. Just maybe." He chuckles.
(10:42:40 PM) ***Acadia looks around. These people sure are weird-looking.
(10:42:43 PM) Vargas: "Now, I won't be able to help you tomorrow. I've got a couple weeks worth of work and research to do at the shop. But if you need supplies, let me know and I'll get it."
(10:43:43 PM) ***Acadia nods.
(10:44:25 PM) Vargas: "Do you mind if I ask you question? Who taught you magic?"
(10:44:58 PM) Acadia: "I learned from Fey."
(10:45:15 PM) Vargas: "Really? What kind?"
(10:45:54 PM) ***Acadia shrugs. "Wood spirits. Jungle spirits."
(10:46:26 PM) Vargas: "My people are afraid of spirits. Especially fey kind."
(10:47:09 PM) ***Acadia looks Vargas with a confusedly. "Why?"
(10:48:04 PM) Vargas: "Fear, I think. We know very little about them, and many farmers blame them for killing their livestock, or for attacking travelers in the woods, or stealing children."
(10:49:24 PM) ***Acadia purses her lips, and then shrugs. "They're nice to me. Farmers seem dumb."
(10:49:32 PM) Fake_GM: The terms of the deal here are this: The house gets 60% of the profits for giving you space and client access. You can set up for business at the end of the bar. The actual work is to be done upstairs in one of the comfort rooms (the profit ratio is high enough, they don't mind losing out on the bed trade).
(10:49:41 PM) Vargas: "Without farmers, cities like this are impossible."
(10:50:50 PM) ***Acadia isn't sure that's a bad thing, but since she's currently using this city to try and make some cash, she just shrugs and nods.
(10:51:40 PM) ***Acadia looks at Vargas. "Is 60% good?"
(10:52:26 PM) Vargas: "It's pretty steep. Too steep. Like me try and talk him into a better percent. If not, we should try the gnome shop."
(10:52:38 PM) Vargas: "This guy doesn't respect you, and that's a problem."
(10:52:42 PM) ***Acadia nods.
(10:52:51 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+18 (diplomacy)
(10:52:51 PM) Emprah: Vargas, (diplomacy): 24:6+18
(10:53:28 PM) ***Acadia considers all of the ways she could make this guy respect her. Some maiming comes to mind.
(10:53:34 PM) Acadia: "What about the shaman guy?"
(10:53:52 PM) nacht: (I like your thinking, Acadia)
(10:54:12 PM) Acadia: ;)
(10:54:17 PM) ***Vargas says, "I have never had a good experience in gnolls. You could try, but..." He shrugs with a slight frown.
(10:55:09 PM) ***Acadia shrugs.
(10:57:09 PM) Fake_GM: The owner doesn't much look like budging too far on it, V.
(10:57:43 PM) InquisitorHEX left the room (quit: Quit: Leaving.).
(10:57:52 PM) ***Vargas looks to Acadia. "Screw'em. Let's try the other shop."
(10:58:14 PM) Vargas: (unless you want to try your own intimidation or something)
(10:58:37 PM) ***Acadia nods, though she slightly regrets not being able to lightning strike the tavern as they leave.
(10:59:01 PM) Acadia: (Nah, she doesn't really do the charisma thing. She would mistake intimidating for just blowing things up."
(10:59:42 PM) Vargas: "Farmers are actually pretty smart, usually. And very hard workers."
(10:59:45 PM) Acadia: )*
(10:59:56 PM) Vargas: "It's a hard trade."
(11:00:34 PM) ***Acadia considers, shrugs, and nods.
(11:02:09 PM) Acadia: "Now who do we try?"
(11:02:16 PM) Vargas: "Gnomes."
(11:02:45 PM) ***Acadia nods.
(11:02:49 PM) Fake_GM: The magic shop offers you signage on the counter and some place to put your work chair out front. They're extremely friendly - solicitous, even. They're asking 35%.
(11:04:10 PM) ***Acadia looks at Vargas.
(11:04:21 PM) Emprah left the room (quit: Ping timeout: 380 seconds).
(11:04:30 PM) Vargas: "That's not bad."
(11:04:57 PM) ***Acadia nods. "Okay. What do I do?"
(11:05:17 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah [~Klokwerk_@r75-110-123-103.rmntcmtc02.rcmtnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net] entered the room.
(11:05:36 PM) Vargas: "Well, now you have to talk to customers. You've got to convince them to buy your wares. Advertise."
(11:05:58 PM) ***Acadia gives Vargas a very blank look.
(11:06:00 PM) ***Vargas will demonstrate by chatting up a couple clients...
(11:06:07 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+18 (diplo)
(11:06:07 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: Vargas, (diplo): 27:9+18
(11:06:46 PM) ***Vargas will even try to "sell" some of the shop's other wares just for demo purposes.
(11:08:18 PM) ***Vargas is sorta like that dude who walks into a store, and can sell their stuff just as well, or better than their own clerks.
(11:08:19 PM) nacht: (Buy this or I'll turn you inside out.)
(11:08:51 PM) ***Acadia will try to mimic Vargas and talk some people into buying her tattoos. (Probably as you describe, Nacht.)
(11:08:57 PM) Acadia: ,roll 1d20+2
(11:08:57 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: Acadia: 9:7+2
(11:09:18 PM) Acadia: Hehehe
(11:10:09 PM) Fake_GM: Vargas manages to offload a potion and a sundial that works at night. The shopkeepers collect the money, but look quite a bit put-out by your presumptuousness. Acadia also manages to move a potion - mostly due to the owners desperately trying to keep a long-term client.
(11:10:49 PM) ***Acadia looks at Vargas, obviously feeling quite proud.
(11:11:11 PM) Acadia: This sales stuff is nothin'.
(11:11:16 PM) ***Vargas .oO(Oh man, this is going to be quite a learning experience.)
(11:11:39 PM) Acadia: "Can I sell tattoo spells now?"
(11:12:01 PM) Vargas: "You can try. I think you should work with the staff, and let them help you sell."
(11:12:25 PM) ***Acadia considers this. She's not sure why it would be necessary, but she nods.
(11:12:28 PM) Vargas: "Maybe let them talk for you at first until you get some more condifence."
(11:12:34 PM) Fake_GM: The shopowner's husband takes you aside and quietly suggests that you let them take care of marketing.
(11:12:37 PM) ***Acadia shrugs.
(11:13:40 PM) Fake_GM: What form is Petite in today, anyway?
(11:13:46 PM) Vargas: "Any other thoughts or questions, Acadia?"
(11:14:12 PM) ***Acadia thinks for a moment, and shakes her head.
(11:15:13 PM) Vargas: "Okay. Well, have fun. I'm going to head back to the shop and make sure Jacob hasn't ruined the jade leaf extracts."
(11:16:05 PM) ***Acadia nods. She sits down in her appointed chair and tries to sell stuff.
(11:16:50 PM) ***Vargas heads home.
(11:17:56 PM) Fake_GM: Ok, then.
(11:18:40 PM) Fake_GM: Acadia, if you send a post to the BSR group with a list of what items you can make as tattoos, Ancient and I can work out what-all you might be able to sell in this market.
(11:19:11 PM) Acadia: Okie dokie. You mean what spells, right?
(11:20:05 PM) Vargas: afk
(11:20:11 PM) Fake_GM: Yeah. And the copy for the crafting feat would be helpful. Or what source its found in.
(11:21:23 PM) Vargas: It's custom. Ancient made it with her.
(11:22:00 PM) Acadia: I can talk to him to try and determine what other feats it would function similarly to.
(11:23:03 PM) Fake_GM: *nod* You have access to every druid spell up through your spell level, so any parameters to help narrow down which items you can actually make will be good.
(11:24:15 PM) Acadia: Well, the 3600 gp price is for 0 and 1 level spells. I figured that would be a good place to start.
(11:25:17 PM) Fake_GM: right, since they'd also take the least amount of time to actually scribe. Ok, that helps.
(11:26:38 PM) Acadia: Sweet. I'll send the list of those spells to the group, then, and I'll be talking with Ancient
(11:26:47 PM) Fake_GM: cool beans
(11:29:47 PM) Acadia: Yup, yup. So, are we good for the eveining, then?
(11:29:55 PM) Fake_GM: think so
(11:31:28 PM) Acadia: Sweet. Thank you for running, Rivet!
(11:31:35 PM) Fake_GM: You're welcome.
(11:31:40 PM) You are now known as Rivet_
(11:31:49 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah left the room (quit: Remote host closed the connection).
(11:31:54 PM) Acadia: And thank you for participating, Vargas!
(11:35:56 PM) Acadia: Sorry, again, for the time mix-up. I appreciate you guys hanging out so late and waiting on me.
(11:36:27 PM) Rivet_: don't worry about it. It's barely 11:30
(11:36:56 PM) Rivet_: Even G usually hangs on until Midnight
(11:37:28 PM) Acadia: Cool cool.

12JUL12

Clockwork Rivet