13JUl12

Conversation with #beyondshadowrun at Fri 13 Jul 2012 01:20:27 PM EDT on Rivet_@irc.esper.net (irc)
(02:09:57 PM) You are now known as Fake_GM
(02:13:44 PM) nacht [Mibbit@ip98-168-148-192.ok.ok.cox.net] entered the room.
(02:13:50 PM) Fake_GM: ,noes
(02:13:53 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: 776. Even if it was obviously in self defense, my character is not allowed to kill George Takei.
(02:14:05 PM) Fake_GM: ,daat
(02:14:06 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: 77. Powerful barbarian who's moustache grows to look like clock hands believes himself to be the one
(02:14:06 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: true clock, endeavors to smash every other timepiece in the world in order to become the Highlander.
(02:14:11 PM) nacht: But George Takei is evil
(02:14:18 PM) nacht is now known as _Magnus
(02:14:24 PM) Fake_GM: ,noes
(02:14:27 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: 763. No slipping the juicer Ritalin.
(02:14:59 PM) Fake_GM: ,noes
(02:15:02 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: 1057. Canadian is not a real language.
(02:15:34 PM) _Magnus: Eh?
(02:16:36 PM) Fake_GM: Nice
(02:16:45 PM) _Magnus: That was a good one.
(02:16:51 PM) _Magnus: are these random?
(02:16:57 PM) Fake_GM: Yep
(02:17:02 PM) Fake_GM: Try one
(02:19:06 PM) _Magnus: ,noes
(02:19:09 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: 1082. There is no such thing as a brothel crawl.
(02:19:20 PM) Fake_GM: Heh.
(02:19:24 PM) _Magnus: So true...
(02:21:01 PM) Fake_GM: Ok. So you've returned to the Port of Akor in the company of a rag-tag bunch of misfits with the power to take down a small army. You've pointed them in the direction of some real estate agencies and largely leave them to whatever they're up to while you continue your own quest. How do you want to go about it?
(02:23:24 PM) ***_Magnus makes his way to the library and nods his inclination to the front guards who know him, but that doesn't mean they find themselves with nothing after this time of his absence. Each have a small bit of gold in their hands. It isn't long before the large man finds himself at the restricted section of the library, having gained a lot of knowledge from ...
(02:23:48 PM) Fake_GM: (cut off at 'from')
(02:23:57 PM) ***_Magnus ... the standard area already. This seems the logical part to go next. He looks to see what this is all about.
(02:24:14 PM) _Magnus: (yeah, I did that since my mibbit wouldn't let me type anymore)
(02:24:36 PM) Fake_GM: (useful. My client just lets me ramble on heedlessly)
(02:24:37 PM) _Magnus: ,roll 1d20+5 (perc)
(02:24:38 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: _Magnus, (perc): 7:2+5
(02:24:52 PM) _Magnus: geeeez great start
(02:25:43 PM) _Magnus: (why can't I ever roll that on the spell to get guidance from the deity?)
(02:28:04 PM) Fake_GM: Right, then. The Library of Akor. It's a large, dark building constructed of dingy marble in a style somewhat different from most of the buildings in the city. It actually bears a strong resemblance to the ruins you saw in fallen Andropolis - likely it's been here since before the fall of the Empire.
(02:32:40 PM) Fake_GM: The interior is dark, cavernous and filled with shelves. and tables. What few windows there are are kept shuttered, to help preserve the librams and scrolls from light and the elements. Naturally, candles and lanterns are strictly forbidden.
(02:32:42 PM) Fake_GM: All light is provided by a handful of guttering, glowing stones mounted on torch brackets - similar to those you've seen the party use. For a hefty fee, you can rent one of the rare portable glowstones - but the ambient light coupled with your darkvision is more than sufficient to read and navigate by.
(02:33:59 PM) Fake_GM: The restricted section is separated from the general stacks by huge, bronze-bound double doors - locked and barred from the inside.
(02:35:36 PM) Fake_GM: A whoozit it mounted into the left door at eye-level. From experience, you know that there are doorguards posted on the other side to let authorized visitors in.
(02:37:14 PM) _Magnus: (incidently no shield on his back this time. He left that at the house, but his mace is at his side under the large cloak, and he carries his quarterstaff/walking stick.
(02:37:17 PM) _Magnus: )
(02:37:23 PM) Fake_GM: (roger)
(02:38:14 PM) ***_Magnus gives a knock to the door.
(02:39:40 PM) Fake_GM: The library floor is largely unpopulated. There are a handful of staff members on duty and one or two patrons in the stacks or at one of the study carrels. In response to your knock, the little door slides open and a pair of eyes appear.
(02:39:58 PM) Fake_GM: "Who are you?"
(02:40:46 PM) Fake_GM: A female voice. Lower end of the register.
(02:45:28 PM) ***_Magnus says in his deep baritone, which is surprisingly soothing, "My lady, I am a priest studying history and religion. I hear that the section you guard hosts the greatest foods for thought. As much as I would like to take a look at the collection, I understand your position in protecting it. Might I ask how I can gain entry?"
(02:46:12 PM) _Magnus: "And you may call me Magnus, my dear lady."
(02:49:30 PM) _Magnus: (diplo roll?)
(02:49:44 PM) Fake_GM: (sure, if you want)
(02:50:09 PM) _Magnus: (could help or hurt, right?)
(02:50:40 PM) Fake_GM: (you have to fail spectacularly to really hurt yourself. most of the time, you just won't accomplish anything)
(02:51:57 PM) Fake_GM: (You don't get the sense that the challenge was particularly hostile. Just perfunctory duty.)
(02:51:58 PM) _Magnus: ,roll 1d20+10 (diplo)
(02:51:58 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: _Magnus, (diplo): 16:6+10
(02:52:06 PM) Fake_GM: (so you might be able to make nice)
(02:52:24 PM) _Magnus: (forgot he was half way decent at speaking to others.)
(02:52:29 PM) Fake_GM: (heh)
(02:52:47 PM) _Magnus: (no Vargas for sure)
(02:55:12 PM) Fake_GM: "Access to the inner stacks is reserved for scholars of the Collegium, Patroni of the Library, and by special dispensation of the Autocrat. Which you would already know if you were any of those."
(02:56:02 PM) _Magnus: "Collegium?"
(02:57:53 PM) Fake_GM: She huffs in mild irritation, "The conclave of philosophers and scholars who teach the highborn and civil servants."
(03:01:00 PM) ***_Magnus nods in understanding, "And how does one become a Patroni?"
(03:04:27 PM) Fake_GM: "Patronus. Usually, you have to donate something of significant value to the library."
(03:05:41 PM) ***_Magnus says, "I see. Who is in charge of collecting donations?"
(03:06:24 PM) _Magnus: (what exactly is the value of gold? say...is 500 considered a lot?)
(03:07:20 PM) Fake_GM: (It varies. 500 is a lot in some cases, a pittance in others)
(03:07:51 PM) _Magnus: (probably a pittance to those that run the library, while not to those that guard it)
(03:08:39 PM) Fake_GM: (a basic magic weapon starts at 1300+weapon cost. But perhaps)
(03:10:37 PM) Fake_GM: "The High Librarian, I suppose. Though it would be up to the Patronum Council and the Masters of the Collegium to determine the value."
(03:11:21 PM) ***_Magnus nods and steps back from the door a bit, "Well, thank you for your time."
(03:11:52 PM) Fake_GM: She hms in acknowledgement and slides the panel closed.
(03:12:51 PM) _Magnus: :me makes his way back out of the library as he thinks this over and stops to discuss with the guards at the front entrance, "Might one of you be able to tell me where the Collegium is?"
(03:13:27 PM) ***_Magnus makes his way back out of the library as he thinks this over and stops to discuss with the guards at the front entrance, "Might one of you be able to tell me where the Collegium is?"
(03:17:05 PM) _Magnus: would have asked the other guard, but she didn't seem too pleased.
(03:17:15 PM) Fake_GM: You only recognize one of the guards on duty this morning - the one you had to bribe for admittance. Fortunately, he also recognized you, so you were able to get inside. The other is unknown to you.
(03:17:19 PM) Fake_GM: Your rented friend scratches his chin, "Somewhere up in the administrative district, I think. Not sure I remember exactly where. You know, Carst?"
(03:18:26 PM) Fake_GM: The other shifts his weight and looks at his partner, "Dunno, Tag. Out by the moneychangers?"
(03:18:53 PM) Fake_GM: (gimme a sense motive)
(03:20:19 PM) _Magnus: ,roll 1d20+17
(03:20:19 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: _Magnus: 24:7+17
(03:20:43 PM) _Magnus: (man..the d20 does not like me.)
(03:22:55 PM) Fake_GM: Carst made a very obvious throat-clearing cough after he said 'moneychanger'. They're obviously fishing. You get the distinct impression that Tag told his buddy about your previous generosity.
(03:24:31 PM) ***_Magnus smirks with some entertainment inside his dark cowl as he gives each guard some coins.
(03:24:46 PM) _Magnus: (6 each)
(03:24:54 PM) Fake_GM: (gold?)
(03:24:59 PM) _Magnus: (yes)
(03:27:39 PM) Fake_GM: They both put on oh-so-convincing displays of refusing such generous gifts while stuffing the coins out of sight before a supervisor shows up. You get directions to the Collegium and the adminstrative buildings attached to its operation.
(03:28:57 PM) _Magnus: (I'm guessing that's a lot of beers, and rent)
(03:30:07 PM) Fake_GM: (yes. These are just your standard city guard types. Average pay is a matter of copper and silver.)
(03:30:45 PM) ***_Magnus gives them his thanks and makes his way off in the direction given. He keeps his eyes and ears open as he walks through the city, the bottom of his walking staff clacks on the cobblestones.
(03:31:37 PM) _Magnus: 'roll 1d20+5 (perception of rumors, threats, and those in need of his healing abilities, etc.)
(03:32:11 PM) _Magnus: 'roll 1d20+5
(03:32:21 PM) _Magnus: ,roll 1d20+5
(03:32:21 PM) Klokwerk_Emprah: _Magnus: 25:20+5
(03:32:32 PM) _Magnus: (swear I'd figure it out, man.)
(03:33:01 PM) Fake_GM: (and how. now I just have to figure out what you might see)
(03:36:52 PM) Fake_GM: Nothing particularly stands out. You pass your typical city denizens wandering about on some task or other. Since you're not heading towards a business district, there aren't too many beggars or children running around. Most of the people you pass are moderately-to-well-dressed. All tend to give you a wide berth - mostly due to your size, since I imagine you have your cowl up.
(03:38:40 PM) ***_Magnus drops a few silver into beggars cups as he passes those in his path. He eventually arrives at the Collegium.
(03:40:24 PM) Fake_GM: I'm afraid I need to call it here. Apparently, I have errands to run. Don't think I should be gone too terribly long, though - what time did you need to get ready for work?
(03:41:34 PM) _Magnus: I start getting ready around 8, but I nap between 4, or 5, and 7. Would you prefer to continue this some on Sunday before the session, and before you start having to make dinner?
(03:42:28 PM) Fake_GM: Yeah, we could do that, I guess. Say, 2 again?
(03:42:29 PM) _Magnus: I'd also have some time tomorrow for around the same time we had this session.
(03:43:11 PM) _Magnus: Sure.
(03:43:14 PM) _Magnus: Sounds good.
(03:44:04 PM) Fake_GM: right-o. Glad we were able to make some progress, at least. Really, other than playing it out, I don't think you'll have too much trouble here. Though it will probably be up to Ancient what you find when/if you get into the stacks.
(03:45:13 PM) _Magnus: right, well at the collegium I am planning to gain their favor, if not as a bit of an instructor then through a donation. Then I can legitimately get into the stacks.
(03:45:34 PM) _Magnus: like I said...breaking and entering into an upper crust area might not help the party.
(03:46:09 PM) Fake_GM: Yeah. And doesn't really seem like something Magnus would do, anyway.
(03:46:54 PM) _Magnus: Not really...while he has to be fighting his orc urges a lot, he's not a criminal.
(03:48:34 PM) Fake_GM: *nod* See you later, then
(03:48:59 PM) _Magnus: later man. Thanks for the RP!
(03:49:29 PM) _Magnus: Have fun on your errands.
(04:28:15 PM) _Magnus left the room (quit: Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client).
(02:14:42 AM) The account has disconnected and you are no longer in this chat. You will be automatically rejoined in the chat when the account reconnects.

13JUl12

Clockwork Rivet