14SEP14

[14:13:11] === 5 unknown connection(s)
[14:13:11] =-= User mode for Gerhal is now +i
[14:13:13] -->| YOU (Gerhal) have joined #beyondshadowrun
[14:13:27] -->| Clockwork_GM (~Clockwork@c-76-97-186-19.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[15:49:01] |<-->
[15:51:32] -->| Nacht (Mibbit@ppp-70-247-164-155.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[15:54:35] <nacht> So what's happenin'?
[16:03:38] <ibram> not much
[16:07:24] <nacht> Yeah. Same here. Making ham and potato soup.
[16:08:18] <ibram> nice
[16:08:21] <ibram> gonna be around tonight?
[16:10:06] <nacht> Most likely. yes.
[16:11:08] <nacht> To watch twixes atleast.
[17:11:37] <nacht> soup turned out awesome.
[17:54:14] |<-->
[18:16:34] <gerhal> Ping
[18:22:13] -->| nacho (Mibbit@ppp-70-247-168-186.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[18:49:27] |<-->
[18:50:21] -->| Nacht (Mibbit@ppp-70-247-168-186.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[19:00:37] <ibram> LET IT BEGIN
[19:01:03] <nacht> Yep
[19:01:09] <gerhal> Hey Bill
[19:04:35] -->| Ancient_ (~Ancient@c-68-51-151-130.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[19:05:11] =-= Ancient_ is now known as D_M
[19:05:53] * Ibram beer and fun and violence
[19:05:56] <d_m> ,div
[19:05:57] <clockwork_gm> The keenest blade is righteous hatred.
[19:06:01] <ibram> ,div
[19:06:02] <clockwork_gm> Without Him there is nothing.
[19:06:08] <d_m> ,daat
[19:06:08] <clockwork_gm> 72. Threat of hobgoblins with artillery that launches goblins - who have guns.
[19:06:09] <ibram> ,dhdiv
[19:06:10] <clockwork_gm> "Sins hidden in the heart turn ail to decay."
[19:06:22] <nacht> ,art
[19:06:23] <clockwork_gm> Seven ancient scrolls: written in archaic Hebrew on papyrus, which is curiously preserved with almost no
[19:06:23] <clockwork_gm> sign of aging. However, if carbon dated, it places the date of the scrolls at about 600 BC. If translated,
[19:06:23] <clockwork_gm> the scrolls prophecy events with phenomenal accuracy, from the rise of Alexander the Great to Julius
[19:06:23] <clockwork_gm> Caesar to the birth of Christ to the Rennesance and discovery of the New World to the Industrial
[19:06:23] <clockwork_gm> Revolution, all the way up to the First World War. These prophesies include correct names, dates, and
[19:06:23] <clockwork_gm> locations. The prophecies conclude by stating that at a certain point, God will forsake the world and all
[19:06:24] <clockwork_gm> those born after that time are trapped in an ultimately pointless existence and face an eternity of
[19:06:24] <clockwork_gm> hopelessness and despair after death. The date God forsakes the world is August 3, 1915.
[19:06:27] <nacht> hehehe
[19:06:45] <nacht> I still think there should be a ,fart one.
[19:07:11] <d_m> Heh.
[19:07:34] <gerhal> Hellos
[19:07:46] <d_m> Hail!
[19:07:48] <gerhal> We know Rivet is out tonight.
[19:07:52] <gerhal> No word from Siren?
[19:08:05] <d_m> Riv is out?
[19:09:18] <gerhal> He said he was visiting family in an email today
[19:09:20] <ibram> yeah according to his email
[19:09:39] <d_m> Huh. Must be missing some emails.
[19:11:36] <d_m> Anyway...
[19:12:06] <d_m> So I guess that means Magnus and Vargas get first dibs tonight. Maybe all the dibs.
[19:12:38] -->| Sirens (~Adium@ip70-186-171-195.br.br.cox.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[19:12:45] <gerhal> Yeah, Siren!
[19:13:00] <sirens> Hey!
[19:13:00] <d_m> Laaaate.
[19:13:31] <sirens> Sorry, Adium was giving me some trouble
[19:13:47] <d_m> No worries. Just means that Magnus and Vargas get to go first.
[19:14:08] <sirens> Of course
[19:14:09] <d_m> In costumes, y'all.
[19:14:22] =-= YOU are now known as Vargas
[19:14:29] <vargas> (Yay, I get my name tonight)
[19:15:01] <ibram> (name?)
[19:15:06] =-= Sirens is now known as Acadia
[19:15:17] <acadia> (I almost forgot who I was!)
[19:15:19] <vargas> (usually Vargas is taken, so I have to use Wellington)
[19:15:20] =-= Nacht is now known as Magnus
[19:15:27] =-= Magnus is now known as Magnus_
[19:15:41] <magnus_> (I can't believe some putz took my name on this thing)
[19:15:41] <d_m> Huzzah! So Vargas, before you play, the bulk of our work is going to be an OOC review of everything you were working on. I need to make sure I have some working notes of where you left off.
[19:15:48] <d_m> Oh man.
[19:16:33] <vargas> (Vargas' quest log is kinda like your quest log in Skyrim after a few hours wandering the wild)
[19:17:22] <d_m> Precisely.
[19:17:37] <d_m> And the quest server is just as buggy, too.
[19:17:39] <d_m> Magnus!
[19:17:40] <ibram> (Ibram's quest log. Hang out. Drink beer. Eat bread. Win fight)
[19:17:56] <d_m> Yes. He just accumulates reps.
[19:18:11] <vargas> (Right down to finding quest items before he finds the actual quest giver. Barney! You look like a turnin item. But who wants you? No idea.)
[19:18:34] <d_m> Magnus!
[19:19:29] <magnus_> Yup
[19:22:56] <d_m> The open sky, and the soft breath of the wind. Tatters of cloud rip past like confetti in a hurricane gale. Only the sky traveller knows the true hugeness of these fluff balls, each the size of a city. Only the sky traveller knows how cold and wet they are, too.
[19:24:30] <d_m> The last of this cloud tears apart, and below, a dawn panorama unfolds. The golden sun sits upon the eastern horizon, spilling brilliance across the land, flooding each valley and gilding each ridge crest and mountain top.
[19:26:38] <d_m> The land here undulates, rises and falls in rough waves beneath a patchy carpet of forest. Away south, the open lands of the desert, and far that way a glittering ribbon of river, just at edge of the world. To the north, meanwhile, more clouds, and more forest, and a dark, green, unknown world.
[19:26:47] <d_m> But let us review for a moment.
[19:27:14] <d_m> How long stayed you in the fishing village? Just long enough to recover your strength, I believe, yes?
[19:29:48] <d_m> Also, Vargas!
[19:29:55] <vargas> (aye!)
[19:30:38] <d_m> Vargas, let's talk about your various projects. First off, your current assignment is intel-gathering in Lania, in the city of Messedine, yes?
[19:30:42] <magnus_> Yes. Traded clerical practices for some food and all. Sold most of the shark meat he had, smoked the rest for himself. He paid for the skin to be tanned, and then kept the skull.
[19:31:27] <vargas> Correct. Vargas is working as an apprentice for a senior wizard named Manut. His mission is to learn everything he can, high and low, about the magic of the Kingdom of Lania.
[19:32:11] <d_m> Ah yes, Magnus. But all of these things only take a week or so, by which time you find that you are fully well to travel. The fishermen welcomed you back, and once they saw what you could do, welcomed you to stay.
[19:32:32] <vargas> By working as an apprentice, he hoped to learn about how magic is practiced there. Apprentice versus school system. How sophisticated is their magic theory? Do they have the same taboos? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Who is who in their rock star magic world?
[19:32:41] <d_m> But all to soon, Magnus, your needs were met, and it was time to strike out.
[19:33:28] <magnus_> It was a good rest after months of that city though.
[19:34:18] <vargas> Last we spoke, he was translating a book from Low Celestial.
[19:35:00] <d_m> Indeed so, Vargas. And when we left off, you were just doing your second translation, invited to fix some errors in a tome about basic magic principles. You're still suspicious that this might he a bit of a test of your current knowledge, but that's perfect for you. A chance to establish your bona fides at the low level while concealing your high level capabilities.
[19:37:48] <d_m> Quite so, Magnus. And it was also a good week to reflect on the nature and purpose of your mission in Queensport. Tell us about, that Magnus. Why did you originally go there? How did you become so entrapped? And did you ever accomplish your original mission?
[19:38:32] <d_m> Meanwhile, Vargas, you've got a couple of other activities going on in the meantime. One is the Salt Mine overlooking the AC.
[19:39:12] <magnus_> Went there because he heard of an Ancient Pharasma temple. While he didn't discover the temple, her guidance led him to manuscripts. Vargas currently has these for his spell to bring them back into being.
[19:40:01] <d_m> Indeed, Magnus. It is your distinct hope that the engraved plates have something to say which is worth all the pain you suffered there.
[19:40:15] <vargas> Yes. The Salt Mine is run by Otto Abich (the foreman), Sir Gudarian (security), and Heinrich Rau (accounting) while Vargas and/or Gwendolyn are away.
[19:40:28] <vargas> We know they are there for two purposes.
[19:40:35] <vargas> 1. Get the mine working
[19:40:44] <vargas> 2. Keep a pair of eyes on the place for His Majesty
[19:41:00] <d_m> Now you must wait. This becomes one of Vargas's many projects. In the meantime, Magnus, you have had enough of adventure for a time, yes? It is your intent to return eastward across the world?
[19:42:22] <magnus_> Magnus became trapped after losing his gear, except for his armor and cloak. His journey was a long duel with the fish creatures, and venturing into the heart of their lair. Numerous spells were used including sucking a clan of them into a vortex.
[19:42:26] <d_m> And now is the mine coming? As I recall, it was not yet a profit-turner, but you had recently turned a corner in terms of getting it on track to profit.
[19:43:33] <d_m> That vortex was pretty awesome, Magnus. But every step of that adventure was a lesson in being a Cleric in the dangerous world of monsters and combat. You know that you will do well to review every step and piece of it and clean strategic and tactical wisdom for the future. :-)
[19:43:47] <vargas> There was a crisis of sorts when Rau revealed that the dwarves were building a Masterwork quality mine without regard to human lifespans or expenses. But after an intervention that was greatly greased by Gwendolyn's help, all three human leaders and miners now have an understanding.
[19:44:05] <vargas> Thibble Copperfoot remains Vargas' scholar liason with the dwarves of TDV.
[19:44:30] <vargas> Rau tauch Vargas about double entry accounting, which has greatly helped the Bank of Wellington.
[19:44:43] <magnus_> His final conflict was with a Dire Crocodile that I would assume was over 90 feet since it managed to come 45 feet straight up in the air to try and get him. He barely escaped, much tanks to Freedom of Movement, and would have certainly died if he stuck around since there was a second one in the water as well.
[19:44:56] <d_m> Any other DON from TDV? Dwarves of Note from That Dwarf Village?
[19:45:16] <magnus_> After ascending again into the air he healed a little and wind walked.
[19:45:28] <magnus_> Withdrawal is my friend.
[19:45:29] <d_m> Oh yes, accounting. In point of fact, Rau taught him half of that lesson. Half of the equation. The other half remains on offer.
[19:46:07] <vargas> No. The elders have remained as anonymous as the real name of TDV. Although they owe Vargas a piece of "mail". They were supposed to ship a huge sea dragon shell to Lord Hunt for Vargas.
[19:46:12] <d_m> One of many excellent lessons, Magnus, for sure.
[19:47:55] <d_m> Roger, Vargas. And oh yes. The shell.
[19:48:52] <d_m> So, Magnus, from the fishing village, whence are you headed? Once again: are you done with adventure for a while? Are you heading home to the far east?
[19:50:07] <magnus_> Travelling to the village he left his mule at, which should be well taken care of by the farmer. He will seek out the man to gain his friend back. It wasn't far from Akor.
[19:50:20] <d_m> Vargas, anything else to review about the mine itself, before we discuss that thing which lurks below it and towers above it?
[19:50:50] <d_m> Didn't he steal that mule initially anyway?
[19:51:01] <magnus_> Nope
[19:51:07] <magnus_> That was his before he met the party.
[19:51:11] <vargas> Hmm. No. Except that Vargas has no permanent cabin. Just a magic cabin that appears and disappears at a whim. =)
[19:51:21] <d_m> True. Good times, that.
[19:51:25] <vargas> And the last dwarves to get too close got lightning bolted by accident.
[19:51:39] <vargas> Puffy electro beards.
[19:52:36] <d_m> Man, I had forgotten about that!
[19:53:43] <d_m> All right, Vargas, so what about it? Arce Crystallum. The fortress of crystal.
[19:54:35] <vargas> After we learned it was a giant honeypot built to kill adventurers, we discovered the real prize was underneath a small ocean of acid reachable only by earth melding or blind teleport.
[19:54:41] <magnus_> He will take his horse with him when he travels. He has the power to take steeds and party members.
[19:55:05] <d_m> Magnus, travelling by Wind Walk for the most part?
[19:55:53] <vargas> Vargas has made a survey of the interior and found it to be largely empty. It wasn't crammed with stuff like it was during the Whump in which we explored it. Vargas now refers to that whump as the "End of Time" because it seemed so... non-linear almost. Time was so warped.
[19:56:18] <vargas> But the mirror was there. Just in a different spot. And it was not empty. The Witch in the Mirror, Anya.
[19:56:59] <vargas> Vargas originally attempted to talk to her in the disguise of a gold dragon, but she gave him the creeps. He was afraid of someone locked on the other side of the glass.
[19:57:51] <magnus_> For the most part. He is pretty intent on getting his mule, but he'll stop and rest in the evenings. After seeing that flying flesh eating thing in the frozen wilds he's not keen on attracting attention in the dark.
[19:58:00] <vargas> He believes she has something to do with this place. But he doesn't know how she got locked in, or why. Vargas wonders if the Sigilite was involved. The Sigilite lead him to his place after all.
[19:58:39] <vargas> As for the realm below, Vargas has not explored the darkness beneath the castle. Will he find the ruins of Animal Land? The beginnings of it? Who knows?
[19:58:56] <vargas> Can he find the giant bronze ladder?
[19:59:15] <d_m> Magnus...
[19:59:34] <magnus_> He's using V's map as a reference and people, spells of guiding if necessary.
[20:02:23] <d_m> You break loose of the clouds and begin your final descent, and you find yourself with a whole new view of roads you know well. Roads you travelled out in and out of Akor over the past year. You know that just another day ahead at this pace is the city itself. But you are more interested in the spot where that tiny thread of packed dirt breaks away from the main highway and weaves north a bit. Up there--or rather, down there,
[20:02:42] <d_m> ...somewhere--is the farm where your mule resides.
[20:05:25] <d_m> Vargas, a minor correction: the chamber below the fortress is not exactly dark. When you found the inverted fortress--the AC Proper, if you will--during the whump, it was dark above, in the midst of a lightning storm, and the great crystaline bulb below flashed with each lighting bolt above.
[20:05:55] <vargas> Oh. So the sun crystal still works?
[20:06:04] * Magnus_ picks a barren patch of dirt to solidify upon. An apple is fed to calm the horse.
[20:06:38] <d_m> When you returned in your own time, it was daytime above, and indeed, daytime below. However, the sunlight emanating from the bulb below was weak and sickly. Dimmed for some reason, despite the clear bright day on the surface.
[20:07:17] <d_m> A breeze passes. Suddenly, a towering man and his horse stand in the clearing.
[20:08:51] <d_m> Magnus, your play.
[20:09:21] <d_m> Vargas, any more questions about the upper or lower fortresses?
[20:09:57] <vargas> Was there any sign of the socket where the giant bronze ladder was in Animal Land? The ceiling side?
[20:10:05] * Magnus_ looks about to gather his bearings and see if anyone is around.
[20:11:05] <d_m> Magnus, you are alone. The small road is just nearby. North is your direction.
[20:12:19] * Magnus_ mounts the horse and rides out to the road to travel up it, taking his time at a walk.
[20:12:47] <d_m> It's tough to tell, Vargas, exactly where that would be. If you recall correctly, the spiral staircase descends from the bottom/top of one of the numerous turrets. But this is a large fortress. It will take some dedicated exploring to get a handle on all of its volume beneath the elemental seal.
[20:13:11] <vargas> Ok. Haven't explored enough to know yet then.
[20:13:39] <vargas> Vargas only spoke to Anya once so far. He has a new approach in mind for follow ups.
[20:13:50] <d_m> Presently, Magnus, you find yourself of a beautiful morning breaking through the trees onto the farmland of the random farmer you blessed with your mule.
[20:15:10] * Magnus_ travels to the side of the fields so as to not trample crops and then makes his way to the house.
[20:16:51] <magnus_> (He's also looking to see the setup this man has, clear cutting, dairy, what have you...a job he might be useful at)
[20:18:05] <d_m> Vargas, re. the ladder, correct. As of when we left off, you have explored only really the bottom of one tower, the tallest tower which descends alongside the crystal bulb tower and contains among other rooms the grand laboratory.
[20:18:37] <vargas> And the grand laboratory was mostly empty compared to what we saw in the Whump where we found the Palantir.
[20:18:52] <d_m> Heh, yes.
[20:19:30] <vargas> Oh yeah.
[20:20:02] <vargas> Vargas started moving his stuff like his p-graph collection from his buried barrel holes into the lab.
[20:22:43] [ERROR] Connection to irc://irc.esper.net/ (irc://irc.esper.net/) reset. [[Help][Get more information about this error online][faq connection.reset]]
[20:23:23] -->| YOU (Vargas) have joined #beyondshadowrun
[20:23:27] |<-->
[20:23:27] |<-->
[20:23:27] |<-->
[20:23:27] |<-->
[20:24:31] -->| Lathi (~AndChat30@173.209.212.158) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[20:24:32] -->| Acadia (~Adium@ip70-186-171-195.br.br.cox.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[20:24:32] -->| D_M (~Ancient@c-68-51-151-130.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[20:24:32] -->| Clockwork_GM (~Clockwork@c-76-97-186-19.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[20:24:32] -->| Ancient (~Ancient@c-68-51-151-130.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[20:25:11] <magnus_> (Lost all you guys?)
[20:25:15] <d_m> Heh, that's what I get for opening my mouth.
[20:26:55] <vargas> here
[20:27:02] <vargas> And the grand laboratory was mostly empty compared to what we saw in the Whump where we found the Palantir.
[20:27:05] <vargas> Vargas started moving his stuff like his p-graph collection from his buried barrel holes into the lab.
[20:27:32] <lathi> (Professional bad omen, that's me)
[20:28:35] <vargas> (You do bring demons on your coat tails.)
[20:29:57] <d_m> Heh, ok, sorry about that.
[20:30:03] <d_m> Phone call and net split all at the same time.
[20:30:49] <d_m> Vargas, yeah. So you're taking the lab for your own, in the meantime, and slowly expanding your explorations.
[20:32:22] <d_m> Now, we need to talk about the Mirror, and where in detail you left off with that.
[20:33:02] <d_m> Magnus! Your objective?
[20:33:02] <d_m> Or, what are you doing now? Knocking on the door?
[20:33:09] <vargas> We know the keyword, which is the draconic word for Hunger.
[20:33:20] <vargas> And we know the phrase for release. "Come out."
[20:34:09] <vargas> It has 15 compartments, and 1 is occupied.
[20:34:32] <vargas> Each compartment is named after a great monster or demon or something of mythology.
[20:35:09] * Magnus_ approaches the house from the road. He intends to seek out the owner of the farm and obtain his mule through working off the debt as well as lodging until said task is complete. He will end up leaving with both the mule and the horse after his time here and hopefully farther in his task. Visits to the temple in Akor will be taken and the market.
[20:35:10] <vargas> Anya says that an evil wizard trapped her there to take this place form her.
[20:35:26] <vargas> And Vargas won a sense motive test to detect a major lie, or at least a major distortion
[20:35:43] * Magnus_ wanders up the main drive to the house, slow and steady to not mark a trouble maker.
[20:35:49] <d_m> What debt specifically does he owe, if he donated the mule?
[20:36:08] <magnus_> (He'll knock on the door if he's not addressed before then.)
[20:36:40] <magnus_> (Is the farmer going to give up the mule willingly? And he will still need to pay for a place to stay, even if it's in a barn.)
[20:37:19] <d_m> Magnus, we'll see. Stand by.
[20:38:03] <vargas> Vargas cut the conversation off with Anya after she lied to him fairly abruptly. He wanted more info before trying again. Or at least more confidence.
[20:38:16] <magnus_> (I saw an old guy yesterday that looked like Chuck Berry. It was rather interesting.)
[20:38:31] <d_m> Roger, Vargas. So you've been looking for more information on her since then, before trying again.
[20:39:10] <vargas> Gwen then taught Vargas about, I guess the literary theory of witches? She said he needs a birthmark or some other distinguishing feature.
[20:39:18] <vargas> And that the Mirror has a legend of its own.
[20:39:38] <vargas> Like Gina had the scarf to set her apart.
[20:40:09] <d_m> Magnus, you clunk on the door with your staff. You wait.
[20:40:11] |<-->
[20:41:20] <d_m> Yes, V, it did become a bit of a diversion into literary history.
[20:41:33] <d_m> So where did you leave off with respect to the mirror and its occupant?
[20:42:10] <vargas> Vargas had not had a 2nd conversation yet.
[20:42:18] <vargas> You didn't want to get any balls rolling before deployment
[20:42:30] <d_m> Righto.
[20:44:12] <d_m> Magnus, after a minute, you knock again.
[20:44:23] <d_m> Again, still no answer.
[20:44:51] * Magnus_ tries to remember what language this farmer spoke.
[20:45:19] <d_m> The local tongue of Akor. Human dialect.
[20:46:41] <magnus_> "Hello in there! Is anyone at home?!"
[20:47:27] <magnus_> (It's mid day yes?)
[20:47:27] <d_m> Late morning.
[20:47:27] |<-->
[20:47:27] [ERROR] Closing Link: c-76-97-186-19.hsd1.ga.comcast.net (Ping timeout: 186 seconds)
[20:47:27] [ERROR] Connection to irc://irc.esper.net/ (irc://irc.esper.net/) closed. [[Help][Get more information about this error online][faq connection.closed]]
[20:47:43] === *** Looking up your hostname...
[20:47:43] === *** Checking Ident
[20:47:43] === *** Found your hostname
[20:47:49] === *** No Ident response
[20:47:50] === 2 unknown connection(s)
[20:47:50] =-= User mode for Vargas is now +i
[20:47:52] -->| YOU (Vargas) have joined #beyondshadowrun
[20:48:41] * Magnus_ steps back from the door and looks for signs of the farmer around this side of the house, he is most likely out in the fields.
[20:48:52] <d_m> "Ho!" calls a woman's voice from off to your left, Magnus. You look, and there is a woman coming out of the woods bearing a bundle of sticks and twigs on her back.
[20:49:22] <d_m> Vargas, you back?
[20:49:30] <vargas> Back
[20:49:35] |<-->
[20:49:46] -->| Ibram (~Lautrec@c-68-80-213-233.hsd1.nj.comcast.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[20:49:48] <d_m> Ok. Leaving the mirror... Barney! Where did we leave off with Barney?
[20:49:55] * Magnus_ leans on his blackwood staff and bows his head to her, "Good morning, Fair Lady!"
[20:49:57] <vargas> That was a super fast disconnect and reconnect.
[20:49:57] <ibram> That was annoying
[20:49:59] <vargas> Okay.
[20:51:16] * Magnus_ ties the reigns of his horse to a post so it won't wander off and walks out to meet her. "Might I assist you with that load?"
[20:51:43] <d_m> "Oh, it's you!" says the woman as she approaches. She's fairly carefree for a woman approaching a stranger by herself. Even before she recognizes you. Once she does, she gives Magnus a snort and carries her load over to the firewood stack.
[20:51:50] <vargas> Vargas has "restored" as much of the original Barney as he thinks he can. Now it is a question of what was it meant to do? It should be a cog in something bigger, but it's been very difficult to figure out what that is.
[20:51:59] <d_m> You can follow her, as she does not offer to hand over the bundle.
[20:52:24] <vargas> He know that it appears to be a kind of calculator. The inputs correspond to certain concepts or things. And it outputs something.
[20:52:40] <vargas> He's considered a wide variety of ways it could be used, but he doesn't know what's right.
[20:52:53] <vargas> One idea is a spell engine to cast spells that are too long to cast in one sitting.
[20:53:01] * Magnus_ smiles at her strength and walks with her. "How have you been? Are times good for you?"
[20:53:42] <vargas> And I think that's where we left off on Barney. And now there is a lab, a true lab, where he can work on it in earnest.
[20:54:02] <vargas> We had tinkers and gnomes build new pieces for it.
[20:54:55] <d_m> Ah yes, Vargas. I remember now. You had fully reconstructed the inside, and then extrapolated the gearwork that had immediately surrounded the works that you have. As such, you've created a slightly larger, even more complex Barney that is still just as mysterious.
[20:55:16] <vargas> Aye.
[20:55:29] <d_m> "Oh," says the woman to Magnus, "about as well as may be expected, since me husband passed on."
[20:56:26] <magnus_> "I am truly sorry to hear that. When did that happen if I might ask?"
[20:57:59] <d_m> What you have realized, Vargas, is that gears are ratios, and as such, they can in a sense do math. And realizing that, you not only did a physical reconstruction of Barney, but also a mathematical one. You diagrammed and formula'd Barney's ratios on paper, creating in effect a mathematical model of its workings.
[20:59:29] <vargas> V has no one spell formula that matches Barney. It's too general.
[21:01:16] <d_m> Yes. In that model, in those ratios, you discerned relationships you recognized. Basic principles of arcanum. This was at least a part of some kind of magic item. When "activated," it would have produced some kind of magical effect. But what effect, or even what school of effect, defies prediction. It's so intricate, that even this small portion has elements of almost every school of magic, as well as the most fundamental o
[21:01:32] <d_m> ...fundamental of general magical theora.
[21:02:19] <d_m> And if this is just a small portion of the device, then you're that much further from deducing the function of the full machine.
[21:03:06] <d_m> However, coming at the question sideways, Vargas, one clue did occur to you.
[21:03:13] |<-->
[21:04:22] <d_m> Magnus, the woman dumps the sticks down by the wood pile. You notice that the cord wood in the stack is running rather low.
[21:05:05] <d_m> "Oh, some eight month ago, I suppose. Beginning of last winter. Died in a mule-ridin' accident on that infernal beast /you/ left 'im.
[21:05:07] <d_m> "
[21:05:20] -->| Sirens (~Adium@ip70-186-171-195.br.br.cox.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[21:05:30] <magnus_> "I'm sorry. Is the mule still here?"
[21:06:06] <d_m> The woman raises her eyebrows. "'Fraid not, sir. Mule died in the same accident."
[21:06:54] <vargas> (The deathpool does not fund Raise Dead for mules, Magnus.)
[21:07:03] <d_m> Vargas, yes, it will take some kind of miraculous deductive extrapolation to learn exactly what spell effect the whole machine produced. It may indeed be impossible. There may simply be too much missing. Hell, you don't even know how much IS missing.
[21:07:06] <vargas> (don't even think about it)
[21:07:48] <vargas> But Vargas could create a divination spell to answer that question, or get more clues.
[21:07:48] <d_m> BUT, as a magic item crafter, it occurs to you that
[21:07:55] * Magnus_ nods. "Forgive me."
[21:08:55] <d_m> Well, we'll get to that, V.
[21:10:13] <d_m> First, it occurred to you that, leaving aside deduction for a moment, you know inductively that certain kinds of magic lend themselves to certain kinds of magical devices. For instance, mental bonus items tend to go on the head. Items of strength and constitution about the body. Devices that help you see tend to be lenses and goggles and such.
[21:10:44] <magnus_> "I am going to be remaining in the area for a while, is there any chance that I might be able to stay in your barn?" He glances at the barren wood pile, "I will be more than willing to work for my rent. I will also say rites for your husband if you would wish it."
[21:13:24] <d_m> The woman folds her arms, looking up at Magnus. "Really," she says with skepticism. You got her hubby killed, and now you want a job. And lodging. The nerve. "All right, then. You can stay in the barn and do the man's work for this summer and through the winter maybe. Need someone to chop the wood, after all."
[21:14:29] <magnus_> "I will remain out of your hair, and do as you ask."
[21:15:25] <d_m> Vargas, items of gearwork tend to solve problems. They tend to divine answers about the universe. The simplest clockwork magic item, for instance, is a clock, and that will tell you what time it is /at any time/. It can even predict what time it will be a known amount of time in the future or past.
[21:16:34] <vargas> So it would model something. Predict something.
[21:16:39] <d_m> Handy thing. This thing almost certainly is of a similar vein. It probably performed some kind of divination too complex and immense to encapsulate in a single magical incantation.
[21:17:17] <vargas> Does it resemble the Whump prediction magic at all?
[21:17:53] <d_m> Yes. And its an interesting idea. It would be very hard to determine now what this device would have modeled or predicted, but the /idea/ of such a device is fascinating to you as a wizard, especially a summoner. There is a whole world of predictions out there that the academic world is just begging for.
[21:18:33] <d_m> This is a glimpse into a whole world of magic items that could tell you, well, any number of things. You could in theory model the movement of the sun and the moon about the world, and predict eclipses.
[21:18:57] <vargas> Do orraries exist yet in this world?
[21:18:58] <d_m> Of course, any wizard can do that with a spell, but a magic item like this would allow any schmuck to accomplish the same divination.
[21:19:48] <d_m> Not /yet/. :-D
[21:20:19] <vargas> Ah!
[21:20:29] * Magnus_ bows his head to her, "I shall not waste time. Thank you for your generosity." He leaves to escort his horse to the barn and sets about into the forest to get started with his great axe.
[21:21:01] <d_m> Magnus, the woman nods. "That's fine, then. You can put your things in the barn and have the day to make yourself at home. I'll put you to work tomorrow morning. First thing'll be firewood anyway."
[21:21:59] <magnus_> (recall that last)
[21:22:14] <d_m> Just swap in post. :-)
[21:22:20] * Vargas contemplates this thought. One of the problems he has with the whump is that he never knows precisely when or where they are. He knows how to use the stars to tell where he is if he knows the date in his own era. But a thousand years ago?
[21:22:22] <magnus_> Aight
[21:23:11] * Vargas looks at Barney. "Could someone just rewind time and figure out when the Whump is?"
[21:23:15] <d_m> Vargas, that's Barney. Which leaves... What? Oh yes! Whump research!
[21:24:48] <vargas> Whump research. Vargas had create 2 spell formulas recently. 1 is a permanent bond to the whump. The 2nd is a spell that is like an eject button, and sends you home. However that one requires an expensive custom 1 time reagent. You have to swallow this crystal, and it will take you home.
[21:25:02] <vargas> The next spell in the cue was some new kind of Whump predictor.
[21:25:06] <vargas> 6th lvl.
[21:25:13] * Magnus_ strolls past the woman with the large adamantium axe over his shoulder.
[21:25:30] <d_m> Let's go over all the spells so far and their costs.
[21:26:44] <vargas> Predict Singularity, cost 100.
[21:26:58] <vargas> Basis of the chrono. Tells you roughly when the next whump is.
[21:27:10] <d_m> Spell level, too.
[21:28:15] <vargas> Predict Singularity is lvl 2, cost 100
[21:28:36] <d_m> Ok. Continue.
[21:29:04] <vargas> Chrono Leap is lvl 3, cost 1000. Provides a 1 way trip for 1 target to piggy back on the Whump. Must be cast shortly before the Whump. So it can only be used properly with use of prediction.
[21:29:57] <vargas> Wellington's Eternal Bond is lvl 4, cost 10000. Binds the target to the Whump, forever.
[21:30:28] <d_m> Magnus, over the following months, you live comfortably in the barn. And you can take a couple of days every now and then to go to Akor if you please. What do you hope to get done in Akor over the course of the year? Anything particular? Or just waiting on the results of your salvage from Queensport?
[21:32:02] * Magnus_ wait on the results, consult with his teacher on what he found there, collect prayer components in the market, and maybe try to get into the library again...that one is a big maybe.
[21:32:19] <d_m> Which library? Remind me.
[21:32:22] <magnus_> Also offer any clerical assistance needed in the area.
[21:32:31] <magnus_> The great library.
[21:32:47] <ibram> (Whenever I read clerical assistance I assume that means he's going to file stuff)
[21:32:51] <vargas> Total Recall is lvl 5, and I can't actually find a cost in my notes. Create a magic item that if swallowed sends the target back home. I recall discussing the cost with you, perhap on my old computer because 100k was tooooooo expensive. :p
[21:33:00] <d_m> That doesn't help me. This game is full of cities with great libraries. :-) tell me which library, and what you did there last time.
[21:33:43] <vargas> And Whump Preview was lvl 6. Unknown detail and costs.
[21:33:58] <d_m> Also, in Akor, Magnus, you had a job at the temple of Wee Jas, so you can resume that if it please you.
[21:34:00] <vargas> I think there may have been another lvl 6 you hinted at, but you never told me what it would be.
[21:35:02] <magnus_> Sure.
[21:36:53] <d_m> All right. So I guess, Magnus, the big question here, is when will Vargas finish creating a spell for rebuilding those documents, and when can you see your results? Which will presumably be at the next whump, at the earliest.
[21:38:21] <d_m> Vargas, got all of that down. We'll come back to it. Meantime, what other projects did you have? Oh! Magnus's Data Recovery.
[21:38:49] <vargas> I already completed the rolls to create that spells, and paid the research cost on my sheet.
[21:39:22] <d_m> Cool. What level spell did we say that was?
[21:39:26] <vargas> 4
[21:39:37] <d_m> Sounds good.
[21:39:46] <d_m> And so how are we doing? Anything left?
[21:40:48] -->| Sirens1 (~Adium@ip70-186-171-195.br.br.cox.net) has joined #beyondshadowrun
[21:41:03] <vargas> I already put the money away for the Miriam / Serribon rez in the past plan.
[21:41:16] <vargas> So I know that Teleport Beacon spell must be made some day in the future.
[21:41:22] <vargas> But not immediately.
[21:41:28] |<-->
[21:42:21] <vargas> I think that's in. Salivating over Craft Staff next level.
[21:42:24] <vargas> err, it.
[21:43:49] <d_m> Remind me about Teleport Beacon. It was a way to set a beacon so that you could blind teleport to the active spell, without having to know the destination personally, yes?
[21:44:10] <vargas> Yes.
[21:45:00] <d_m> Sweet.
[21:45:23] <d_m> Anything else?
[21:45:39] <vargas> Nope
[21:45:45] <d_m> So Magnus... When exactly WILL you whump again?
[21:46:02] <d_m> I'm not gonna lie, V. That's a hefty list as it is.
[21:46:52] <vargas> I know.
[21:47:45] <vargas> Bless that ring of sustenance and the 2 hours of sleep.
[21:48:03] * Magnus_ looks at his chrono one day out of curiosity.
[21:48:52] <d_m> Magnus, you're not sure what those symbols mean. You'll have to dig out the instruction manual.
[21:51:55] <d_m> Vargas... I will do some processing and get back to you this week with exactly how your time plays out.
[21:52:02] <magnus_> (So be it, instruction manual it is)
[21:52:11] <vargas> Just don't forget my nat 20 diplo check!
[21:53:19] <d_m> Magnus, you pull out the instruction manual. It's just a sheet of Vargas-scribble in Common. But as you poke through it, you figure out what the read-out means! You have... the better part of a year, it would seem.
[21:53:34] <d_m> Until after next winter, yours is a whump-free life.
[21:57:44] <vargas> ping
[21:57:53] <d_m> I know, right?
[21:58:12] <d_m> But that's our window for tonight, so I'm going to leave off the two of you there, for now.
[21:59:57] <vargas> ok
[22:00:03] =-= YOU are now known as Gerhal
[22:00:13] <magnus_> Alright.
[22:00:16] <ibram> I was hoping for a grand re-uniting adventure
[22:00:20] =-= Magnus_ is now known as Nacht
[22:02:17] <gerhal> Maybe next sunday is the grand launch of season 3?
[22:04:08] |<-->
[22:05:25] <ibram> hopefully
[22:08:31] <d_m> That's the intent. I do have to get 'round to everyone, though. Each one gets the same personal attention that Ibram got, though not necessarily quite as dramatic.
[22:08:53] <d_m> But hopefully I can get that done this week, and we can be ready for the grand reopening next Sunday.
[22:09:07] <d_m> And if we do get there, stand by. It should be a fun one. And hilarious.
[22:09:52] <ibram> Should be
[22:09:58] <ibram> I hope we get to kill a bear
[22:11:22] <d_m> Hahaha!
[22:11:25] <gerhal> Does Ibby miss hanging out with V at all? Do you write letters?
[22:14:51] <ibram> He does, but he doesn't write.
[22:15:10] <ibram> Mostly he has no idea -where- to write, or if the face would intercept the letters
[22:15:58] <nacht> Magnus has no idea what Acadia is doing.
[22:16:08] <gerhal> V probably uses a Sending to call Ibram at least once a month.
[22:16:28] <nacht> But he does miss her, and Brrk.
[22:18:30] <ibram> Ibram cheerfully replies "Not doing much, like it."
[22:18:41] <ibram> V probably hates Ibram's carefree existence
[22:21:01] <nacht> Ibram can now give V the "evil eye"
[22:21:24] <ibram> ahhahaha yes he can
[22:22:46] <gerhal> It would be the only ranged weapon Ibram uses.
[22:22:50] <gerhal> ba dum tsh.
[22:23:38] <ibram> Ibram will keep replacing parts
[22:23:59] <ibram> http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Sebastian_Yarrick eventually he'll end up like this
[22:29:22] <d_m> Mm, man. Looking at this list of stuff I have to address for Vargas reminds me of how much WORK it is getting a campaign like this rolling again. What on earth was I thinking when I started this thing?
[22:32:04] <gerhal> =P
[22:36:37] <nacht> How much you like to work?
[22:37:04] |<-->
[22:37:43] <d_m> Hehe, perhaps.
[22:42:02] <ibram> indeed
[22:47:08] |<-->
[22:48:29] [INFO] Disconnecting from IRC. Click close again to exit now.
[22:48:29] [QUIT] Disconnected from irc://irc.esper.net/ (irc://irc.esper.net/). [[Reconnect][Reconnect to irc.esper.net][reconnect]]

14SEP14

Clockwork Rivet