22APR12

Conversation with #beyondshadowrun at Sun 22 Apr 2012 07:01:25 PM EDT on Rivet_@irc.esper.net (irc)
(07:01:34 PM) Ancient: Meaning, send him your primary email address via AIM.
(07:01:50 PM) Harmonia: Ah, good.
(07:01:55 PM) Ancient: Rivet, we'll need your bot one more time, at least.
(07:02:15 PM) Rivet_: Figured. loading it now
(07:02:48 PM) Gerhal: Oreo needs to pee. One moment.
(07:02:51 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah [~KlokWerk_@r75-110-108-173.rmntcmtc01.rcmtnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net] entered the room.
(07:02:56 PM) Ancient: Delinquent!
(07:03:07 PM) Rivet_: ,div
(07:03:08 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: True faith is blind and justified.
(07:03:25 PM) Rivet_: ,roll 1d20+10
(07:03:25 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Rivet_: 16:6+10
(07:03:33 PM) You are now known as Serribon
(07:03:41 PM) Ancient: ,dv
(07:03:43 PM) Ancient: ,div
(07:03:43 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: If you go looking for trouble, you?re sure to find it.
(07:03:47 PM) Ancient: ,daat
(07:03:47 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: 140. Quickdraw goblins rule a desert town.
(07:03:53 PM) Marauder_shields: blind and justfied huh
(07:04:00 PM) Marauder_shields: Marauder shields
(07:04:04 PM) Ancient is now known as Miriam
(07:04:06 PM) Marauder_shields: here to save you from me3
(07:04:29 PM) Miriam: Hahaha. I just got a new character put together in ME3mp, so I need saving.
(07:05:07 PM) Miriam: Anyway, everyone in costume. When Vargas is back, we'll kick this off.
(07:05:24 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *belch*
(07:05:42 PM) Gerhal is now known as Vargas
(07:06:41 PM) Vargas: (I am here)
(07:08:05 PM) ***Miriam is up with the sun the morning following the Quickling battle. She's outside waiting for the rest in quiet contemplation. Off to the side, three small shapes covered in blankets lie thoroughly refridgerated. The blankets have a coating of frost that is only beginning to fade in the rays of the dawn sun,
(07:09:17 PM) ***Vargas has been busy with inventory management since only two of our donkeys survived. That said, there are fewer supplies to be carried now.
(07:09:41 PM) Serribon: Unless we plan on res'ing them, wouldn't we have buried them?
(07:10:07 PM) Miriam: You could do that. There was too much to do yesterday but get the holes started.
(07:10:14 PM) Miriam: (Vatas
(07:10:37 PM) Miriam: You can take this morning, with Vargas freshly magicked, to make graves for them if you like.
(07:10:42 PM) ***Vargas asks one of the gnomes, "Is it your tradition to bury the dead, or to burn them?"
(07:11:05 PM) Miriam: Never burn, say the gnomes.
(07:11:30 PM) Serribon: I have an adamant pick. Think we can manage some cairns w/o having to burn a lv4 spell
(07:11:45 PM) Miriam: Most gnome cultures entomb their dead in the deepest places. Some embalm their dead first and wrap them. Gnome mummies.
(07:12:34 PM) Miriam: but these gnomes are less concerned with embalming. They just want their dead to rest well.
(07:13:00 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *just looks sad and distant*
(07:13:33 PM) ***Miriam comes to sit beside Ibram.
(07:13:50 PM) Miriam: "So I had an interesting chat with your goblin girl last night. She has your plan all figured out."
(07:14:10 PM) Miriam: Vargas and Serribon, any other clean-up?
(07:14:26 PM) ***Vargas ponders the thought. He says to Serribon with his pickaxe, "I think I will use magic to make little tombs for them. They were good friends. They came so far, and I think they deserve it."
(07:14:33 PM) Serribon: Torching the dead quicklings, I guess.
(07:15:06 PM) Miriam: Serribon sets out to deliberately offend and alienate the entire gnome world.
(07:15:14 PM) Miriam: Oh, the quicklings.
(07:15:16 PM) Serribon: "As you will. We may be able to afford another day here if you want to recharge."
(07:15:18 PM) Miriam: I need to read more closely.
(07:15:44 PM) ***Vargas will use a two shape stone spells. The first to open graves, and the second to seal them up with messages chosen by the survivors.
(07:16:00 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "I have a plan?"
(07:16:05 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *smiles at Miriam*
(07:16:10 PM) Serribon: We actually got the holes done. You may be able to get by with just the one to close them.
(07:16:26 PM) Vargas: (oh, well, one if you already picked them open)
(07:16:40 PM) Serribon: (or does that count as 'worked' stone?)
(07:16:54 PM) Vargas: (Worked stone is cut and shaped and fitted and such)
(07:16:56 PM) Miriam: "Apparently. You're taking the gnomes to the golden city so that once you get there, you can kill them all and take their city's gold for yourself. She said it was a good plan."
(07:17:38 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Yes. Of course."
(07:17:44 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *sighs and shakes his head*
(07:18:25 PM) Miriam: "Oh well. I did my best to give her something else to think about."
(07:18:41 PM) Miriam is now known as D_M
(07:18:47 PM) Vargas: "I think it might be best to rest here for another day. Most of our gnomes are injured, and they need another day's rest to heal."
(07:19:05 PM) D_M: And so the part took a day to recover from the Quickling battle, before setting out for the great divide.
(07:20:08 PM) D_M: You depart the following morning at dawn with your remaining gnome trekkers and donkies.
(07:21:23 PM) ***Serribon spent the previous afternoon scouting ahead for a good route.
(07:21:29 PM) D_M: It takes most of that day to reach the highest points in the mountains, but in the afternoon, you get your first glimpse of the realm beyond the mountains, a land on which not even Serribon has ever laid eyes.
(07:22:21 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Hmmmh>"
(07:22:39 PM) D_M: Serribon, even in your home era, even to your own people, this realm is a mystery, a region into which elves and others go not, or else from which they return not.
(07:22:59 PM) Serribon: (well, it is quite a schlep)
(07:23:52 PM) D_M: And you can see why, now: Before you, to a horizon farther away than you have ever seen before, having never looked from such heights across such a low plain: a sea of mist, lying blue in the mountain shadows of morning.
(07:24:49 PM) D_M: You have seen the strange land on the other side of the mountains, and still you have not seen it. As say the legends which Serribon grew up learning, it is perpetually cloaked in fog.
(07:24:56 PM) D_M: GUPCs.
(07:25:04 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+16
(07:25:04 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+18
(07:25:04 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas: 27:11+16
(07:25:05 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 36:18+18
(07:25:06 PM) Marauder_shields: ,roll 1d20+1
(07:25:06 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Marauder_shields: 12:11+1
(07:25:29 PM) Serribon: What do I see with my elven eyes?
(07:26:38 PM) D_M: Serribon, your eyes are sharp as ever. It is not into the Misty Plains that you are bound. You are looking for a golden city, and as you break the divide and look out over the dim fog sea below, your periphery catches a glint of metal. A yellow spark to your left, to the south, along the mountain range and high in its highest reaches that way.
(07:27:34 PM) Serribon: "Our goal may be in sight. Who has the scope?"
(07:27:49 PM) ***Vargas offers the spyglass.
(07:28:01 PM) ***Vargas has the team utility belt.
(07:28:02 PM) ***Serribon lookses.
(07:28:49 PM) D_M: You look again, taking your time, and yes. you are definitely getting a glimpse of something metallic, mostly hidden by terrain, but some small bit exposed both to your line of sight and the sun's gleam.
(07:29:01 PM) D_M: And it is a golden glint.
(07:29:51 PM) Vargas: "How far is it?"
(07:30:04 PM) Serribon: "There, far to the south," he points. "Something shining gold. It could be the city. But there is a mountain in the way."
(07:30:19 PM) D_M: Miles. Hard to tell up here. Probably not many miles as the crow flies, but it will still be several days trek.
(07:30:59 PM) Serribon: "If we could fly there, a matter of hours. As is, we have a good deal of climbing ahead of us."
(07:31:10 PM) ***Vargas nods. "One step at a time. If the fog is too thick, we'll find a way to keep things tight."
(07:31:19 PM) Vargas: "Watch your footsteps everybody."
(07:31:45 PM) D_M: The fog sea is far, far down to your right, to the west. Your path, to reach this spark, takes you south, along the top of the mountain chain, along the divide.
(07:32:04 PM) Serribon: "I must admit, I don't much like the looks of this mist. But maybe it will burn off as the sun rises."
(07:32:40 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Shit, we might actually find.... huh."
(07:32:54 PM) Vargas: "Well, let's get marching and find out!"
(07:34:33 PM) D_M: You turn south, along the top crest of the mountain range. As you journey, the sun rises on your left hand, burning a more ordinary mist off the vast Jungle of Serribon's homeland. You can see, like sparkling ribbons of silver, the great river and its tributaries eaving north, past you to the delta, the Gulf, and the ruins of Queensport.
(07:35:07 PM) Vargas: "What a view."
(07:36:38 PM) Serribon: "Indeed."
(07:36:48 PM) D_M: in the evenings, the sun sets in the west, over that vast, gray fog, so far below, so featureless, so flat. You know the western ocean must be out there somewhere, but you can see a staggering distance from this high, and you can make out no shimmer or sign of water that way. As the sun sets, it's just a red blazing sun shining over the fog plain and striking red against the western faces of the mountains across which you hike.
(07:37:30 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *whistles a song to himself as he goes*
(07:37:39 PM) D_M: It is cold up here, and windy in places. Sometimes you are on narrow shelves, sometimes in deep vales between the highest peaks.
(07:38:16 PM) D_M: But you have mostly figured out how to handle this place, and you have not been harried by a monster since you decimated the Quickling band.
(07:39:13 PM) D_M: You have not glimpsed the golden spark that first set you off this way, as day three dawns. You know you're going the right way, but land-mark peaks and shoulders of the terrain, but your vision south and north is obscured, for you are looking lengthwise along the range.
(07:39:38 PM) ***Serribon broods on the edge of the bluff. "In Andropolis, they say that the edge of the world lies somewhere in the far west. I thought it was just the sea out here - but now, I'm not so sure."
(07:39:52 PM) Vargas: "It might have been only sea once."
(07:40:02 PM) Vargas: "But perhaps it is not so anymore."
(07:40:38 PM) Serribon: "I suppose once we deposit our charges in their golden haven, we shall have to go and see."
(07:40:41 PM) D_M: Serribon, you have felt no fey menace, either, in these two days. And there is almost no wildlife to be seen, either. You are above even the soaring eagles (giant and otherwise) up here. As the third day dawns, everyone make a GUPc.
(07:40:52 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+18
(07:40:53 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 35:17+18
(07:40:54 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+16
(07:40:54 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas: 34:18+16
(07:41:49 PM) ***Vargas wonders what it was like for the trekkers who carved the Avenue of the Sun east of his homeland. Did it look like this in the morning?
(07:41:50 PM) Marauder_shields: ,roll 1d20+1
(07:41:50 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Marauder_shields: 10:9+1
(07:42:46 PM) D_M: Your ability, Ibram, to roll staggeringly average spot checks is... staggering.
(07:43:29 PM) Vargas: (I swear I should make him a headband with perception)
(07:43:41 PM) D_M: Your path, winding back and forth across the divide, between the highest peaks, has you at noon of the third day on the east side, once again overlooking the jungle valley of the Sarai. Serribon and Vargas, you both spot it: to the east, below you, on the far side of the the great river, rising out of the almost black-green jungle canopy, a single, thin whisp of white smoke.
(07:44:11 PM) ***Vargas points. "Is that what I think it is?"
(07:44:26 PM) Serribon: "Sky serpent?"
(07:45:00 PM) ***Serribon smirks. Not that you could tell, what with the face mask and all.
(07:45:10 PM) Vargas: "Nothing so romantic."
(07:45:18 PM) Vargas: "Wait, were you making a joke again?"
(07:45:28 PM) Vargas: "I swear, Serribon, you have to warn us when you do that."
(07:45:40 PM) D_M: Yes, you're sure. It's a camp fire, or something like.
(07:45:54 PM) D_M: The smoke from one, anyway.
(07:46:06 PM) Vargas: (How long would it take to get down there roughly?)
(07:46:13 PM) Serribon: "Looks like smoke. Strange to find someone else out here, isn't it?"
(07:46:20 PM) Vargas: "Do you think we should scout it before we descend?"
(07:46:27 PM) D_M: But it is so far away, down in the valley jungle.
(07:46:31 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Up to you."
(07:46:38 PM) D_M: Meanwhile, your path continues southward along the mountains!
(07:47:08 PM) Vargas: "Well, let's keep going along the mountain."
(07:47:35 PM) D_M: And it bends away to the west again, weaving Through the peaks as If to follow the setting sun on the third day.
(07:48:39 PM) D_M: a sun setting once again on a bleak, flat, featureless fog sea--Ibram, while Vargas and Serribon are chatting, you round a corner and come face to face with a DINOSAUR.
(07:48:47 PM) D_M: Wait no, it's just a stone!
(07:48:53 PM) D_M: Wait, no, it's a statue!
(07:49:28 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Wow, interesting."
(07:49:32 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Look at this guys!"
(07:49:37 PM) Serribon: "Hm."
(07:49:46 PM) ***Vargas makes that startled noise people make. He looks at the statue with suspicion.
(07:50:01 PM) D_M: A lizard, nine feet tall, standing on its hind legs in the manner of a man. The carving is ancient and blocky and faded, but it seems to be wearing some sort of crude garment or armor, and holding either a staff or spear by its side.
(07:50:41 PM) D_M: No gargoyle this, Vargas, but an ancient stone totem of some kind,
(07:50:43 PM) Vargas: "Huh."
(07:50:51 PM) D_M: GUPCs.
(07:50:59 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+16
(07:50:59 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas: 25:9+16
(07:51:03 PM) Serribon: "Rather strange place to find lizardfolk."
(07:51:07 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+18
(07:51:07 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 29:11+18
(07:51:16 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "They need a place to live, same as anyone else."
(07:51:46 PM) Serribon: "Yes, but it's so cold up here. Even the ones who worshipped the wyvern lived on the lower reaches of the mountain."
(07:52:27 PM) D_M: Serribon, do you spare an AP?
(07:52:30 PM) Vargas: "Maybe they aren't lizards, but dragonkin. They don't seem to mind the cold."
(07:52:34 PM) D_M: ,roll 1d20+11
(07:52:34 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: D_M: 25:14+11
(07:52:41 PM) Serribon: Sure, I guess.
(07:52:47 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d6+1d6
(07:52:47 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 3:1+2
(07:53:19 PM) Serribon: (*snerk* http://www.theonion.com/articles/study-red-meat-takes-years-off-of-cows-life,27954/)
(07:53:38 PM) Marauder_shields: (double snerk http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/537804_10150833153796420_532956419_12393877_1415697984_n.jpg)
(07:53:40 PM) D_M: Vargas and Serribon, you both survey the terrain from the perspectives of your respective expertises, and you both come to the same conclusion: At some point, long, long ago, there was a road here, climbing across the mountain range.
(07:54:24 PM) ***Vargas scratches his chin. "Where there are roads, there are destinations."
(07:54:39 PM) D_M: Not much of a road. A walking path or mule path at best. But you can see, now that you're looking, a few worked marker stones, and the channel of the path, winding down, down the sunlit western faces of the mountains, toward the mist, far far below.
(07:55:05 PM) ***Vargas swaps out his spectacles, and appraises the statue.
(07:55:20 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+15 (appraise)
(07:55:21 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (appraise): 18:3+15
(07:55:38 PM) Vargas: "I think we should follow the path down into the mist over there."
(07:55:44 PM) D_M: Ancient hand-worked native stone, Vargas. Probably carved half a millenium ago or more.
(07:55:51 PM) D_M: And as the sun sets, and your eye is drawn down the length of this path toward the sea of fog, you realize that for the first time since you first glimpsed the land of mist, it is not entirely featureless.
(07:56:08 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "This is kinda impressive, isn't it?"
(07:56:22 PM) Vargas: "Beautiful."
(07:56:24 PM) Serribon: "It's something, alright."
(07:56:34 PM) D_M: There's something there. Something tiny.
(07:56:56 PM) D_M: Or perhaps only tiny because it is so distant. But there is something out there, miles out into the fog sea, protruding from it.
(07:57:01 PM) Marauder_shields: (the final snrk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Q0hvqmFRI )
(07:57:03 PM) D_M: A dark speck.
(07:57:38 PM) ***Serribon requests the spyglass again.
(07:57:51 PM) ***Vargas offers.
(07:58:00 PM) Serribon: You can take 10 or 20 on perc, right?
(07:58:17 PM) D_M: You can for searching and studying you've already spotted, as in this ase.
(07:58:18 PM) D_M: case.
(07:58:41 PM) Serribon: Taking 20, then. 38
(07:59:08 PM) D_M: It is a peak. A perfect, trangular peak. You're looking at it from the east, with the sun descending in the west, and so you're seeing its shadowed face contrasted against the red glow of the sunlight off the mist around it.
(07:59:54 PM) D_M: That is why you picked it out. And looking past it, you can see two more. Each miles further away than the other, three triangular peaks emerging from the fog, marking a perfectly straight line.
(08:00:06 PM) Vargas: "Well isn't that interesting."
(08:00:09 PM) Serribon: Like artificially regular - a pyramid, say - or just an unusually picture-perfect mountain shape?
(08:00:23 PM) Vargas: "Now I am intrigued."
(08:01:00 PM) D_M: Like pyramid tips.
(08:01:12 PM) D_M: But you road takes you south!
(08:01:14 PM) D_M: Along the mountains.
(08:01:44 PM) Vargas: "I guess that's another avenue for possible exploration."
(08:01:48 PM) Serribon: "It's doubtful that they'll move before we can get back to them."
(08:01:58 PM) Vargas: "Indeed."
(08:02:22 PM) D_M: The gnomes, by now, are walking in a daze of weariness and cold and endless trekking. You have to shout just to shock them into consciousness enough to cross a dangerous passage or even make camp.
(08:02:43 PM) D_M: The sun sets, and you make camp as you have.
(08:03:40 PM) D_M: The following morning, with the dawn, you rouse them yet again. Even Miriam looks worn, drained by the seemingly endless journey.
(08:03:53 PM) D_M: Legs are sore. Knees are swollen. Flesh is frostbitten.
(08:04:01 PM) D_M: Everyone is dehydrated, most are hungry.
(08:04:06 PM) Vargas: "Serribon."
(08:04:08 PM) D_M: Ibram has the runs.
(08:04:16 PM) Vargas: "Is it time for a full day rest?"
(08:04:18 PM) Marauder_shields: hahaha
(08:05:14 PM) Serribon: "Not quite. We're too high up for it to really benefit anyone. Tomorrow we should be back low enough to rest."
(08:05:30 PM) D_M: One more day of push, then.
(08:05:34 PM) D_M: Miriam groans.
(08:05:53 PM) D_M: It's the first time in a long time you've heard her actually vocalize a protest of that sort.
(08:06:07 PM) ***Serribon often forgets that not everybody got Endurance as a freebie.
(08:06:09 PM) D_M: This trek is testing even her newfound serenity.
(08:07:05 PM) Vargas: "Thank Gott we haven't seen any brownberries in weeks."
(08:08:43 PM) Serribon: "We haven't seen much of anything but scrub grasses and lichen."
(08:08:44 PM) D_M: Despite it all, even the gnomes set forth. You climb. Your road winds back to the east, toward the divide and the Sarai valley beyond.
(08:08:57 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "you haven't."
(08:08:59 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *winces*
(08:09:19 PM) Vargas: "Oh, Ibram. You poor sod."
(08:09:41 PM) D_M: Just then, you reach a ledge, and looking over it, you see a golden city below you.
(08:09:55 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Whoa."
(08:09:57 PM) D_M: Just like that. It is seated between two peaks, right in the center of the range.
(08:10:04 PM) Serribon: (has Miriam gotten pali spells yet?)
(08:10:18 PM) ***Vargas rubs his eyes. "Have I gone crazy, or is that a real golden city?"
(08:10:24 PM) D_M: And it is surely and truly a city of pure gold.
(08:10:36 PM) Serribon: "It... looks like it."
(08:10:56 PM) Marauder_shields: (only thing I can think of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcH_ZTF6smY)
(08:11:14 PM) Serribon: (dibs on the golden condor)
(08:11:20 PM) D_M: no, seriously! It is an orderly and quite substantial cluster of square buildings and alleys and avenues. Some of the buildings are multiple stories.
(08:11:33 PM) Vargas: "Set up camp. We need to scout this out. We're too close to let ourselves be lulled into complacency, and this is way too weird."
(08:11:38 PM) D_M: They have windows and balconies and everything. They're just... solid gold.
(08:12:27 PM) D_M: The gnomes rebell. They are already surging forward with renewed vigor, picking out a path down into the low saddle occupied by the apparition.
(08:12:40 PM) Marauder_shields: (Whoa. It was anime)
(08:12:45 PM) Serribon: Is there any movement in the city below?
(08:13:00 PM) Serribon: (sorta. Think it was french)
(08:13:16 PM) ***Vargas commands them, "Stop! All of you. I did not bring you this far to fall into a trap."
(08:13:30 PM) ***Vargas asks, "Are there any signs of life? Of movement?"
(08:13:36 PM) D_M: Diplo check, V.
(08:13:53 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+18 (diplo)
(08:13:53 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (diplo): 36:18+18
(08:14:15 PM) Serribon: (somebody has it on free streaming. I can find you a link in a bit, if you're interested. It was actually not that bad.)
(08:15:11 PM) D_M: You are able to stop them, Vargas, and martial them, though there is no good place to camp up here. You have most of the day to decide what to do next, but you won't want to spend the night up here.
(08:16:10 PM) Marauder_shields: (It was legit anime, the animators were japans)
(08:16:37 PM) ***Vargas consults with the others, "Why don't we bring them half the way down. Then we can scout ahead and see if the city is an illusion or not. If nothing seems too out of place, Serribon can give the all clear to bring them down. Miriam, would you care to stay with the gnomes?"
(08:16:46 PM) Vargas: "Ibram, Serribon, and I can scout it out."
(08:17:15 PM) D_M: "God, yes, I think I will. I'm sorry to be such a flower."
(08:17:54 PM) Serribon: "Right then."
(08:18:08 PM) Vargas: "By your lead, Serribon."
(08:19:25 PM) D_M: All right, you make your way half way down the slope and find a reasonably level patch on which to rally the troops, and then the two heavies and the wizard proceed to scout ahead. The city stands before you, a couple of miles away, an impossible yet looming reality.
(08:19:29 PM) D_M: It is gated!
(08:19:52 PM) D_M: It has a wall about it, running straight despite the terrain, west to east.
(08:20:02 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Hmmmmh."
(08:20:32 PM) D_M: The gate is perfectly in the center of its length on the near side, and stands open and inviting. The entire facade is a textured, golden metallic construction.
(08:20:50 PM) ***Vargas will scan with Detect Magic, and then appraise.
(08:21:03 PM) D_M: You will have to get much closer to use those talents, V.
(08:21:11 PM) Vargas: (ok)
(08:21:29 PM) Serribon: "Hm. That's not good - who builds a city with a gate and wall like that, and leaves it wide open?"
(08:21:56 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Someone who doesn't give a damn."
(08:22:01 PM) Vargas: "We've seen abandoned cities before. Moonflower town for instance."
(08:22:22 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> okay guys. If we some red-eyed douchebag in golden armor with waaaay to many swords.
(08:22:29 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> fuck a'll y'all, I'm leavin
(08:22:38 PM) Marauder_shields: (I hope someone gets that)
(08:22:59 PM) Vargas: (Gilgamesh, and the Gates of Babylon)
(08:23:13 PM) Serribon: (which series is that?)
(08:23:26 PM) Serribon: "Yes. And look how well that turned out."
(08:23:57 PM) D_M: As you continue to approach, you see that the gate does indeed stand wide open. It is a fairly ordinary-sized gate in a fairly ordinary-sized wall. Nothing about this city seems particularly outlandish--besides the obvious. If it wasn't golden, and in the top of a mountain range with not a proper road for a hundred miles anywhere, it would seem quite ordinary and welcoming.
(08:24:12 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+17 (perception)
(08:24:12 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (perception): 23:6+17
(08:25:17 PM) D_M: Looking from still half a mile out, with the spyglass and your eyes, you can see into its main thoroughfare through the open gate. It's a quiet city, but... not deserted! You can make out shapes occasionally moving about its mainstreet, though it is hard to see any details about them from here.
(08:25:41 PM) ***Vargas feels releaved to see signs of movement and habitation.
(08:26:14 PM) Serribon: "There's nothing for it but to get closer, I guess. But I have to wonder how they survive up here. Do they eat rocks?"
(08:26:40 PM) Vargas: "They might eat fungus, like the dwarves did. Or do."
(08:27:10 PM) D_M: You approach closer. Just a few hundred yards away, Vargas, your appraise kicks in.
(08:27:18 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+15
(08:27:19 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas: 25:10+15
(08:28:54 PM) D_M: This city is built with either an absolute mastery of the terrain, or else an absolute disregard for it. The wall proceeds perfectly west to east, as near as you can tell, perfectly level across this saddle in the terrain, and makes no concessions to the small rises and falls. As you look closer, you even see some very large boulders which seem to have been cut in half to make way for the wall, rather than moved out of its way.
(08:28:59 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "I can't say."
(08:29:26 PM) Vargas: "This place reminds me of something."
(08:30:14 PM) Vargas: "The way it is built. It's built to geometric perfection. Too perfect. Like... the crystal fortress, or the stairway to Animal Land."
(08:30:55 PM) D_M: GUPCs
(08:31:07 PM) Marauder_shields: ,roll 1d20+1
(08:31:08 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Marauder_shields: 19:18+1
(08:31:09 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+12 (appraisal specs on)
(08:31:09 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (appraisal specs on): 21:9+12
(08:31:23 PM) D_M: Heh.
(08:32:05 PM) D_M: No further results.
(08:32:19 PM) D_M: Serribon? GUPC?
(08:32:23 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+18
(08:32:24 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 38:20+18
(08:32:26 PM) Vargas: (that was my perc btw, just to be clear)
(08:32:41 PM) D_M: (Ah, roger.)
(08:32:53 PM) D_M: Serribon is just having a good day with his senses.
(08:33:04 PM) Serribon: (just wait until we get into a fight)
(08:34:44 PM) D_M: Serribon, you are surveying the place, and you look up--And glimpse a person! Or at least a hat. It is a funny, three-cornered, pyramidal hat, and it shines metallically in the sun on its upper surfaces. The underside is dark in shadow and you can't see the wearer at all. Just then, Serri, a sound behind you draws your glance.
(08:35:04 PM) ***Serribon looks.
(08:35:05 PM) D_M: when uou look up at the wall's ramparts again, the hat-wearer is gone.
(08:35:25 PM) Serribon: "I saw someone on the wall. I think."
(08:35:35 PM) Vargas: "Yeah?"
(08:35:35 PM) D_M: You look again toward the source of the sound, and catch a glimpse of movement there, in the scree behind you.
(08:35:42 PM) Serribon: "Do either of you know of a people who wear pyramid hats?"
(08:35:51 PM) D_M: A moment later you pick him out-a gnome peeking at you from behind a houlder.
(08:36:07 PM) Vargas: "Cone hats, sure. But not pyramids."
(08:36:09 PM) Serribon: He asks over his shoulder, while tracking the movement.
(08:36:15 PM) Serribon: One of ours?
(08:36:49 PM) D_M: Indeed! You quicky realize that most of the remaining troupe has followed you down the slope.
(08:37:16 PM) ***Vargas asks, "Is something wrong?"
(08:37:17 PM) D_M: They're doing their best to remain stealthy, which is better than it was, but still not great.
(08:37:46 PM) Serribon: "Vargas, what you say about this place... do you think it may have been built by spirits or peoples of the Higher Order? Like the Agents or something similar."
(08:38:05 PM) Serribon: "They do work extensively in metals - even being made of it in many cases."
(08:38:20 PM) Vargas: "It is possible. I can't deny the thought had crossed my mind."
(08:38:22 PM) Serribon: "And a perfectly-ordered city sounds like something they would do."
(08:38:27 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Erh, what?"
(08:38:45 PM) Serribon: "Also, they followed us anyway."
(08:38:52 PM) Vargas: "Do you remember the two Inevitables, Ibram? To Serribon's people, they are called Agents."
(08:39:12 PM) ***Serribon calls out, "You can come out. I see you. Where is Miriam?"
(08:39:58 PM) D_M: The gnomes sulk forward from cover. "She... she sleeps. We snuck out."
(08:41:37 PM) Serribon: "I see. Well, it still is not safe for you to journey into the city. Now that you have seen it, please return to the others."
(08:41:58 PM) D_M: They are all here. There's only, what, six or seven left now?
(08:41:59 PM) ***Vargas glowers a little. He's mad at them, but he understands why. "You shouldn't have come. I know you want this to be over and done with, but I don't want to tell any more of your children that their mother or father was lost at the last leg of the journey."
(08:42:34 PM) Vargas: "Just a little longer, okay?"
(08:43:17 PM) D_M: "We don't understand. We have reached the city. What more do you fear?"
(08:44:10 PM) Vargas: "A haunted city. A hostile city. A cursed city. I'm afraid we've run across examples of all three in our previous journeys. We don't know what's here, and we don't know if we are welcome yet."
(08:44:33 PM) D_M: "
(08:44:46 PM) D_M: "But we know by the legends. This is a place of safety!"
(08:45:08 PM) D_M: Just then, a bugle calls from on high, over the gate.
(08:45:23 PM) Serribon: "Have you ever heard the phrase, 'too good to be true'? A massive, fortified city made of gold sits in the middle of nowhere. No roads. No visible sources of food or water. And despite someone going through the trouble to throw up a massive wall of gold around it, they leave the front door wide open. It's just..."
(08:45:25 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *looks up*
(08:45:45 PM) Serribon: "... probably too late."
(08:46:52 PM) D_M: There is a person up there, in full armor, silhouetted against the noon-day sky. A voice calls down to you: "Those who seek refuge are welcome. Step forth and be known!"
(08:47:59 PM) ***Vargas looks at his companions, and steps forward. "I am Vargas Valeth Wellington. I come with refugees from the east, across the mountains and the jungle."
(08:49:32 PM) D_M: "Let those who seek asylumn step forth and speak for themselves!"
(08:50:05 PM) ***Vargas looks to his brave gnomes.
(08:50:11 PM) ***Vargas nods.
(08:50:58 PM) D_M: They look to one another, and then the leadermost of them steps forward to the head of the line. "I am Click! I
(08:51:14 PM) D_M: "I speak for--" How many gnomes left?
(08:51:22 PM) D_M: 6 + the refugees?
(08:51:33 PM) Vargas: (sec)
(08:51:58 PM) Vargas: (6+24)
(08:52:10 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "I"m Ibram corbec." *he rumbles, from deep within his dragon helm*
(08:53:03 PM) D_M: "I speak for thirty and... No, for myself and twenty-nine of my kin, now. We are homeless! The land has turned against us. We seek a new place from which to make our lives."
(08:54:47 PM) D_M: "We will stay no longer than we are welcome," says Click, after some encouragement from the others. "And we will earn our keep with labors. We are skilled craftsmen! Only give us a place to be safe in this time of torment. We have journeyed many days to find you."
(08:56:24 PM) D_M: The lone figure on the ramparts is still for a time, until it is clear that Click is done speaking.
(08:56:54 PM) D_M: Then it raises an arm. "Enter, friends, and know sanctuary. You are welcome here."
(08:58:07 PM) D_M: The gnomes gather together, and then look back at Vargas, Serribon, and Ibram. Well, fellas?
(08:59:03 PM) Serribon: "What do you think? We need to retrieve Miriam - you go in while I go get her, or wait here until we get back? Or all go together?
(08:59:04 PM) Serribon: "
(08:59:26 PM) ***Vargas asks Click, "What do you want to do? It is going to take me probably a week to fetch everyone. Maybe a little less."
(09:00:50 PM) Vargas: (Can only the gnomes enter,or all of us?)
(09:00:59 PM) D_M: Click looks at the wall, and then at Vargas, and then at the city again. "This... is our journey. Let us go in and meet our hosts. Come with us if you still don't trust them. Once we have made a name and a place for ourselves, then we will ask you to retrieve our brethren."
(09:01:28 PM) D_M: You have no clear guidance on that, Vargas, though apparenyly only those seeking asylum have an explicit invitation.
(09:01:54 PM) ***Vargas nods. "Okay. We will follow you are your guardians then, and no longer as leaders of your exodous."
(09:02:48 PM) Vargas: "As for Miriam, I have a suspicion she knew they were sneaking out, and didn't stop them on purpose."
(09:02:56 PM) Vargas: "Just a hunch."
(09:03:09 PM) Vargas: "Let's follow them."
(09:03:40 PM) D_M: Is that your final answer?
(09:04:07 PM) Vargas: (any objections?)
(09:04:30 PM) Serribon: "Very well."
(09:04:38 PM) D_M: The gnomes nod. Click in the lead, they start toward the gate.
(09:04:48 PM) D_M: The figure on high turns and disappears from sight.
(09:05:44 PM) D_M: Resolutely, with a mixture of wonder and fear and hope, the gnomes march across the last few treacherous, stoney yards to their destination.
(09:06:37 PM) D_M: The golden arch looms above them, and over you. Beyond it, a wide avenue, lined by golden buildings. You can see figures standing in doorways and looking out of windows. Even a few on the rooftops.
(09:06:39 PM) D_M: GUPCs.
(09:06:57 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+17 (back to perception spectacles)
(09:06:57 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (back to perception spectacles): 20:3+17
(09:07:11 PM) D_M: Vargas's spectacles seem to be fogging up.
(09:07:33 PM) D_M: The gnomes cross under the arch, and onto the golden street within.
(09:07:44 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+18
(09:07:44 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 38:20+18
(09:08:03 PM) Vargas: (man, Rivet)
(09:08:41 PM) Serribon: (I'm holding down the button to charge before unleashing Perc)
(09:08:50 PM) Vargas: (Appearantly)
(09:08:56 PM) D_M: Serribon, you see another one of those tetrahedral hats in a window in one of the near buildings. You look closer, for some detail of the person wearing it.
(09:10:11 PM) D_M: There's no one wearing it. Or else the person is invisible. The tetrahedron or its wearer seems to realize you're staring at it and backs out of site.
(09:10:25 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "INteresting."
(09:11:06 PM) D_M: Ibram does not see this, because he did not roll GUPC, and even if he did, he would have rolled average.
(09:11:16 PM) D_M: :-D
(09:11:37 PM) Vargas: "This place still feels weird. I can't believe it, and I'm literally standing here."
(09:11:51 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *wasn't musing on that*
(09:11:52 PM) Serribon: [Another pyramid. But no one was wearing it.]
(09:12:08 PM) Vargas: [Come again?]
(09:12:09 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Doens't feel bad though."
(09:12:28 PM) Serribon: [I saw another of the pyramid hats. But it looked free-floating]
(09:12:47 PM) ***Vargas uses Detect Magic on something, anything of interest within 30 ft.
(09:13:15 PM) D_M: OMG, spell resistance to a Detect Magic? Roll caster level!
(09:13:23 PM) Serribon: Is the armored figure still with us?
(09:13:26 PM) Vargas: "Can you imagine what it would be like if Cassandra was here?"
(09:13:39 PM) D_M: No, Serribon, he's somewhere on the wall overhead, not visible from here.
(09:13:50 PM) Vargas: No SR for Detect Magic.
(09:13:53 PM) Serribon: "Perhaps she has been."
(09:13:56 PM) D_M: I know!
(09:13:59 PM) D_M: And yet...
(09:14:11 PM) D_M: Something is in the way. Break through it.
(09:14:13 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Uh. the same?"
(09:14:24 PM) Vargas: (What's SR again? Pure CL check?)
(09:14:27 PM) D_M: Yup.
(09:14:35 PM) D_M: Unless you have Spell Pen or other bonus.
(09:14:51 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+11 (wooooo)
(09:14:52 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (wooooo): 27:16+11
(09:15:28 PM) D_M: So yeah, it IS weird to experience spell resistance on a Detect Magic. Perhaps that wasn't what it was. Make your spellcraft check.
(09:15:51 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+20 (spellcraft)
(09:15:51 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (spellcraft): 22:2+20
(09:16:01 PM) Vargas: (haha)
(09:16:03 PM) D_M: Heh, would you like to AP that?
(09:16:10 PM) D_M: DC 25 is your target,
(09:16:28 PM) Vargas: (As a player, not so much. As a wizard, hell yes)
(09:16:32 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d6
(09:16:33 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas: 4
(09:16:35 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d6
(09:16:35 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas: 1
(09:16:35 PM) D_M: Done.
(09:18:00 PM) D_M: Your check isn"t high enough to discern the intricacies of the abjuration or illusion that tried to block your spell, but it is enough to get you the big picture: You fine-tune the casting on the fly against an unknown resistant factor and break through enough to get the big picture:
(09:20:03 PM) D_M: This place is awash in a staggering conjuration. So deep is the aura that it seems to shoot through the whole of the place, as if more real than the city itself. As if the whole place teeters on a razor's edge of existence, summoned here by some tremendous force still barely sufficient to protect it against its own massive improbability.
(09:20:12 PM) D_M: As if just looking at it would end the dream.
(09:20:19 PM) D_M: Vargas...
(09:21:21 PM) D_M: You are thus witness to that very reaction, as your spell intertwines with the fragile reality of this place and knocks it down like a house of cards. The rest of you: it is as if every golden surface is a mirror's reflection, and all the mirrors turn at once, until, edge-on, they vanish.
(09:21:51 PM) D_M: And all that remains is a vast pit, perfectly square, a void carved from the mountain by simple cessation of being.
(09:22:05 PM) D_M: The three of you stand alone at its lip.
(09:22:16 PM) Serribon: (nice job breaking it, hero)
(09:22:17 PM) D_M: Ibram, a small amount of rock gives out from under your feet, forcing you to jump nack.
(09:22:18 PM) D_M: back.
(09:22:21 PM) ***Vargas goes open mouth like a fish.
(09:22:23 PM) ***Serribon blinks.
(09:22:29 PM) Serribon: "I didn't do it."
(09:22:29 PM) D_M: GUPCs.
(09:22:34 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+18
(09:22:35 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 20:2+18
(09:22:36 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+16
(09:22:36 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas: 20:4+16
(09:22:45 PM) D_M: even Serribon is stunned.
(09:23:25 PM) D_M: Ibram?
(09:23:44 PM) ***Vargas reaches out into midair, dumbly. His mouth hangs open.
(09:23:49 PM) Marauder_shields: ,roll 1d20+1
(09:23:49 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Marauder_shields: 8:7+1
(09:24:04 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Aw shit."
(09:25:13 PM) Vargas: (any sign of our gnomies?)
(09:25:27 PM) D_M: Gone with the dream.
(09:25:55 PM) Serribon: "What... what do we tell the others?"
(09:25:57 PM) D_M: Presumably now a permanent feature of it.
(09:26:30 PM) ***Vargas 's arms fall to his sides, and he slumps. "... I didn't even get to take a phantasmagraph..."
(09:26:38 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Fuck."
(09:28:12 PM) D_M: All right, so what's next?
(09:28:31 PM) Serribon: "What happened?"
(09:28:41 PM) Vargas: "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. What am I going to tell the kids?"
(09:29:16 PM) ***Serribon cuts a sideways glance at Vargas and edges away, "You did that?"
(09:30:09 PM) Vargas: "I used Detect Magic, and I encountered some kind of resistance. Illusion or abjuration. I forced by way through it, and I saw the foundation of the City. It was a massive conjuration of immense power, but low stability."
(09:30:21 PM) Vargas: "The mere act of looking at it was enough to make it tip over."
(09:31:33 PM) Serribon: "..."
(09:31:54 PM) Serribon: Is there sign of anything in the hole it left?
(09:32:05 PM) D_M: Serribon, Search check.
(09:32:10 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+18
(09:32:10 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 35:17+18
(09:33:27 PM) D_M: Serribon, the city has left behind a perfect square crater, as if the mountain had grown up around a cube which had subsequently evaporated. You can see the stria of the bedrock along the five faces of the pit.
(09:33:41 PM) D_M: But over it all is... a fine golden sheen, so thin you missed it on uour first glance.
(09:34:07 PM) D_M: You can crouch down and lean over the edge to investigate. If you do so, you will find that it is a golden dust.
(09:35:24 PM) ***Serribon does so. "Residue."
(09:36:00 PM) ***Vargas takes a deep, deep breath and wipes away some moistness from his eyes. "I suppose there is nothing left but to talk to Miriam, and wait until tomorrow."
(09:37:13 PM) ***Vargas casts Detect Magic one more time before they go, content he can't possibly screw up any harder than he already has.
(09:37:18 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Yeah. Fuck."
(09:37:25 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *justs sits down, and scowls*
(09:37:48 PM) D_M: Vargas, you see the trace-echoes of the conjuration.
(09:38:13 PM) Vargas: "Just echoes of magic. Residue."
(09:38:28 PM) Serribon: "Would it be possible to restore it?"
(09:38:32 PM) Vargas: (any knowledges to apply before returning to Miriam?)
(09:38:44 PM) D_M: Appraisal on the residue.
(09:39:10 PM) Vargas: "Maybe? But the power required would be enormous. The Equivalent Exchange."
(09:39:17 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+15 (appraise)
(09:39:18 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (appraise): 22:7+15
(09:39:48 PM) Vargas: "It would take something like, I dunno, a True Wish?"
(09:40:59 PM) D_M: Vargas, it's actual gold dust.
(09:41:22 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "What's that?":
(09:41:27 PM) Vargas: "I suppose we could make the best of it, and sweep up all this gold dust."
(09:41:31 PM) D_M: The amount of it here is considerable, if you take the time to brush it into a bag of holding and transport it somewhe where it can be refined.
(09:41:43 PM) Vargas: "What's what, a True Wish?"
(09:42:14 PM) Serribon: How big and deep is the hole?
(09:42:41 PM) Vargas: (Adventurers commence plan, Clean Sweep)
(09:43:20 PM) D_M: It's about fifteen feet deep, and its width and length are "city-sized" because I don't wish to be more specific. what's more important is how much gold you get out of it, which I will tell you when you can find someone to refine it into coin.
(09:44:00 PM) D_M: Suffice to say that it takes several days to clean the place of dust, unless Vargas uses some clever magic solution. By the end, that is a damn heavy bag of dirt.
(09:44:41 PM) ***Vargas can do things like summon hasted water elementals, and collect it with water or something.
(09:44:48 PM) Serribon: "This doesn't weigh too much to transport it back to the monastery, does it? Giving it to the remaining gnomes is the least we can do, I think."
(09:44:52 PM) Vargas: (Somebody in the team can conjure ater now)
(09:45:35 PM) D_M: All right, you have an extradimensional sack of gold dust.
(09:45:49 PM) D_M: You eventually return for Miriam, too.
(09:46:05 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *just looks disgusted with going to get money from this*
(09:46:10 PM) D_M: You find her sound asleep. She really does look drained, like she needed the rest.
(09:46:15 PM) Vargas: (We got her before collecting all the dust, since that took days)
(09:46:52 PM) Vargas: "Poor Miriam."
(09:47:14 PM) D_M: She wakes up in a start, blinks, sits up, and looks around. "What's going on? Where are the gnomes?"
(09:47:28 PM) Vargas: "They followed us while you were asleep."
(09:48:05 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *doesn't answer, he just looks away*
(09:48:14 PM) D_M: "I fell asleep?! ... Oh, God, I fell asleep..." Miriam covers her face. "I'm so sorry. Are they ok? Where are they?"
(09:48:35 PM) ***Vargas 's head droops. "The City, and the gnomes, they are gone."
(09:49:06 PM) D_M: Miriam stares at him.
(09:49:08 PM) Vargas: "They just vanished when I tried to look at the City with Detect Magic. Just vanished. All that is left is a city sized crater filled with gold dust."
(09:49:13 PM) D_M: Presumably you relay the story and so forth.
(09:49:39 PM) D_M: Miriam is stunned, in a literal sense. She just sits there, staring at nothing, trying to wrap her mind around the idea.
(09:49:53 PM) D_M: Anyhow, so ends the gnomes' trek. Where to next?
(09:50:40 PM) Serribon: Dropping the gold off with the other gnomes, I'd think.
(09:51:18 PM) D_M: That will take two teleport spells, there and back again for Vargas.
(09:51:27 PM) Vargas: (We have to get it processed into coin first though?)
(09:51:46 PM) Marauder_shields: (all the gnomes are gone? Just for reference, I want to make sure.)
(09:52:02 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck."
(09:52:11 PM) D_M: 26 gnomes you took to the monastery early on are still there. The six that remained with you, after everything, are gone.
(09:52:16 PM) Marauder_shields: (Ibram is mostly swearing tonight, which I think is in character.)
(09:52:26 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *just continues to swear.*
(09:52:31 PM) ***Vargas will use a Sending to contact one of the gnome elders back at the monestary, and to tell them they would be returning soon.
(09:52:34 PM) D_M: Vargas, if you teleport all the gold to the monastery, they can work on having it refined for you. It will take a few days.
(09:52:49 PM) Vargas: (okay)
(09:53:08 PM) Serribon: Yeah, figured it'd be up to them to do something with it.
(09:53:21 PM) nacht [Mibbit@adsl-76-255-67-12.dsl.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net] entered the room.
(09:53:35 PM) D_M: In the interim, you are still on the mountaintop, by the crater. Where to from here?
(09:54:15 PM) Vargas: "I need a break, guys. I... I'm just a little crushed right now. We came all this way, and endured so much, and now all those kids have lost their parents."
(09:54:57 PM) Vargas: "Maybe we should take a week someplace, and just rest, and then figure out what to do next."
(09:55:03 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *walks over to V, and just puts his hand on his shoulder, nodding*
(09:55:27 PM) ***Vargas puts his face in his hands. "I'm so sorry."
(09:55:38 PM) D_M: You could rest at the monastery, but of course, all the little gnome orphans are there.
(09:55:49 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Why? Wasn't your fault. It was just a dream. People die for dreams all the goddamn time."
(09:55:58 PM) D_M: You can go back down into the jungle. It will be comparatively easy to get by there, without the gnomes to care fore.
(09:56:29 PM) D_M: The fog sea, by contrast, seems a bit daunting if you're looking for a break.
(09:57:11 PM) D_M: Anywhere else... well, there's nowhere in this age that is not dangerous, really.
(09:57:56 PM) Vargas: (where is Brrk?)
(09:58:20 PM) D_M: Oh, with you guys, presumably. She pops into existence like Varsuuvias's familiar.
(09:58:57 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *is mildly cheered up by that*
(09:59:11 PM) D_M: She's very excited by all the gold dusty. Hat-Father done real good. One spell. Wiped 'em all out. Cost most of the gold, that's bad, but still got plenty.
(09:59:18 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *then depressed because he really did kill all the gnomes to get the gold*
(09:59:37 PM) Marauder_shields: I just realized brrk's role
(09:59:38 PM) Serribon: (her prophecy came true!)
(09:59:42 PM) Vargas: "Let's go to the monastery. At least there will be places to think in peace."
(09:59:45 PM) Marauder_shields: she's HK-47
(09:59:51 PM) D_M: ?
(09:59:52 PM) Marauder_shields: And we're a light side party
(10:00:05 PM) Marauder_shields: She's just there to tell us all the fun we could be having if we wanted dark side points
(10:00:14 PM) D_M: Heh.
(10:00:39 PM) D_M: All right, so you go back to the monastery. Sorry, Sis, maybe next week.
(10:00:49 PM) Marauder_shields: (don't tell me none of the guys went to play KOTOR)
(10:00:53 PM) Harmonia: it's cool
(10:00:57 PM) Vargas: (I did't get to play it.)
(10:01:08 PM) Vargas: (And honestly, how were you planning to do the intro GM?)
(10:01:16 PM) Vargas: (Because I don't get it.)
(10:01:24 PM) D_M: I played it all the way through. Was HK the killbot?
(10:01:28 PM) Serribon: (I've been trying to get it to work since I got it for my birthday almost 10 years ago)
(10:01:38 PM) Serribon: Yes
(10:01:38 PM) Marauder_shields: (Yes)
(10:01:50 PM) Vargas: (Because I don't see why we don't just push to the next point and get the intro in)
(10:02:21 PM) D_M: Well, first of all, let's address the monastery, since everyone is still so wide awake.
(10:03:13 PM) D_M: You take a few days there, but every one is a day in the presence of the forlorn gnomes, who are now hundreds of miles from a home to which there is no point in returning, and mostly orphaned and widowed. They are gloomy and hopeless. No idea which way to go.
(10:04:07 PM) D_M: Meanwhile, the monks set about refining your gold for you. They understand your intent to bequeath it to the gnomes, but when they have finished, they come to you anyway and request a meeting in private.
(10:04:14 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *has, notably, not eaten anything in a few days. He still drinks, but the stress and grief of the situation has cost him food*
(10:04:36 PM) ***Vargas will meet with the monks with the others.
(10:04:46 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *yes, me too*
(10:05:25 PM) ***Serribon has taken it a bit better than the rest of you, having already processed the loss of his home several times over.
(10:05:32 PM) D_M: They reveal that you have salvaged, by use of your magic bags, a quarter ton of gold. Five hundred pounds.
(10:06:05 PM) Vargas: (oh my)
(10:06:26 PM) ***Serribon would be slightly more surprised if he hadn't had to shovel much of it into the bag in the first place.
(10:06:57 PM) Vargas: (how much gp is that?)
(10:07:05 PM) D_M: Fifty coins per pound.
(10:07:08 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *triesto reckon how much that is in oh, beer and cheese and bread*
(10:07:11 PM) D_M: 25k.
(10:07:22 PM) Marauder_shields: I love ibram's math
(10:07:26 PM) Vargas: "Gracious."
(10:07:32 PM) D_M: You have also earned a combined 36000 XP. 1200 per gnome still alive at the city gates.
(10:07:48 PM) Serribon: "That is a lot of gold."
(10:07:49 PM) D_M: 9000 per PC.
(10:07:59 PM) Serribon: (sweet)
(10:08:07 PM) D_M: You may distribute the gold as you see fit, but 9000 XP each.
(10:08:26 PM) Marauder_shields: I think Ibram leveled just now.
(10:08:31 PM) Marauder_shields: Did anyone else level
(10:08:37 PM) D_M: Everyone else already leveled!
(10:08:53 PM) Vargas: (We still need XP from Bill and Ancient's last sessions)
(10:09:19 PM) Vargas: (And, to be honest, would the XP have changed if we had teleported all 26 before entering the city?)
(10:10:01 PM) Marauder_shields: It was a level 4 spell permanency'd and regenned, I have to calc the xp from that
(10:10:21 PM) D_M: which was my last session? Oh yeah, the Qlings.
(10:11:09 PM) D_M: 4200 each for that one.
(10:12:07 PM) D_M: Miriam seems to get some benefit from a few days rest at the monastery, though she keeps mostly to herself.
(10:12:13 PM) Serribon: Do I get the full 800 for tracking and killing that other one solo?
(10:12:31 PM) D_M: So that's 13200 XP each for the conclusion of the gnomegon trail.
(10:12:37 PM) D_M left the room (quit: Read error: Connection reset by peer).
(10:13:01 PM) Serribon: for quick record-keeping - was my last session the one on the 1st or the 8th?
(10:13:10 PM) Vargas: 1st
(10:13:12 PM) D_M [~Ancient@ip98-166-213-225.hr.hr.cox.net] entered the room.
(10:13:16 PM) D_M: That was odd.
(10:13:19 PM) Vargas: Bill was 8th
(10:13:36 PM) D_M: Did Anyone get my messages about XP?
(10:13:40 PM) Vargas: Yeah
(10:13:44 PM) D_M: Ok.
(10:13:57 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d6 (HP)
(10:13:58 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (HP): 4
(10:14:13 PM) Marauder_shields: ,roll 1d10
(10:14:13 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Marauder_shields: 7
(10:14:16 PM) Marauder_shields: hoho
(10:14:49 PM) Serribon: I didn't find out if I got the XP for hunting the quickling or not, though.
(10:14:49 PM) Marauder_shields: another 11 HP for me I think.
(10:17:34 PM) Vargas: Well, what next?
(10:17:44 PM) D_M: Indeed! What next?
(10:18:08 PM) Vargas: Some fraction of money will go to gnome widows and kids. We'll decide that over the week.
(10:19:46 PM) Vargas: And after that, well, we've got no reason to go anyplace specific except Sil, or the Crystal Fortress.
(10:20:01 PM) Vargas: Or Land of Fog.
(10:20:07 PM) D_M: So, where's your next destination? Are you done exploring Serribon's homeland, or do you still desire further answers there?
(10:20:36 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *will suggest the land of fog. The barrows might have something leading them home*
(10:20:39 PM) Serribon: Investigating the shrouded land could be interesting. We still have no idea where the elves went except "into the mountains".
(10:21:09 PM) Vargas: Land of Fog it is then.
(10:21:39 PM) Vargas: I would remind all of you, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqDXX-eecfTedGNHdGlJNnFoZGlXTUtEYm1CUWdJaUE
(10:21:41 PM) D_M: The nearest place you get get to the land of fog by teleport is the top of the mountains, whence you viewed it.
(10:22:29 PM) Harmonia: wishlist?
(10:22:51 PM) Vargas: Unlike Clerics and Druids, Wizard's don't get their spells automatically.
(10:23:06 PM) Vargas: You have to research them, or find them, or steal them, or buy them, etc...
(10:23:35 PM) Vargas: But wizards are rare in this era, and those that do exist are rarely as powerful as Vargas.
(10:24:44 PM) D_M: So, teleporting back to the mountains, team?
(10:24:57 PM) ***Vargas teleports back to the mountain after a week to rest.
(10:25:04 PM) Harmonia: how do you get them?
(10:25:06 PM) ***Vargas is less mopey.
(10:25:30 PM) Harmonia: fascinating
(10:26:54 PM) Serribon: Actually, it says that you do get a few freebie spells 'cause it's assumed you've been doing research the whole time.
(10:27:09 PM) D_M: All right, then. Team, you gather together, and once again Vargas takes the universe upon his shoulders. Takes the whole of it in his mind, holding it up while he stretches the distance between himself and the mountaintops into a nothing and then lets it go with a SNAP.
(10:27:14 PM) Vargas: (I don't, because I am a Loremaster)
(10:27:30 PM) Vargas: (Wizard PrCs don't get the free spells, as per errata clarification)
(10:27:40 PM) Serribon: (ah)
(10:27:54 PM) Marauder_shields: Booo
(10:27:56 PM) Marauder_shields: taking a PRC
(10:28:01 PM) Harmonia: what's a PrC?
(10:28:08 PM) Marauder_shields: LAMENESS
(10:28:08 PM) D_M: And you are in the bright morning sun, on the highest vantage of the mountains, overlooking to the East the great expanse of the Sarai, and to the West, the vastness of the fog sea.
(10:28:19 PM) ***Marauder_shields makes fun of G forever
(10:28:42 PM) D_M: Not splat, and thus infinitely superior to, say, Crusader.
(10:29:03 PM) D_M: GUPCs.
(10:29:04 PM) Serribon: (Prestige Class - it's a class you can level in outside of the core 11 that usually develop your character towards a certain theme or unique power-set)
(10:29:07 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+18
(10:29:07 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 33:15+18
(10:29:09 PM) Marauder_shields: ,roll 1d20+1
(10:29:09 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Marauder_shields: 3:2+1
(10:29:59 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+17 (perc)
(10:29:59 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (perc): 30:13+17
(10:30:06 PM) Serribon: (like an assassin or an archer who creates magic arrows)
(10:30:16 PM) Harmonia: (ohh0
(10:30:25 PM) Harmonia: )*
(10:30:44 PM) Vargas: (Loremaster is sorta like a Wizard with a hint of Bard)
(10:30:57 PM) Harmonia: (gotcha)
(10:31:06 PM) Serribon: (or a professional know-it-all)
(10:31:23 PM) Harmonia: (ha!)
(10:31:45 PM) D_M: To the east, the vast expanse of the Sarai, and a small wisp of white smoke rising up from the trees in the valley far, far below. To the west, also far, far below, the plain of fog, and the three distant pyramid caps, just protruding from that sea of mist.
(10:32:35 PM) Vargas: "Has that smoke moved?"
(10:33:13 PM) D_M: Oh, I should also mention: from this high up, you can also pick out the spires of the old elven cities, sticking up through the jungle canopy.
(10:33:23 PM) D_M: Serribon can just about map his homeland from up here, by those spires.
(10:33:53 PM) Vargas: (oh, if the spires are there, we should probably go for those cities before the fog)
(10:34:00 PM) Vargas: (We made a promise to Serribon after all)
(10:34:28 PM) D_M: The jungle and the fog sea form a sort of dichotomy. On the one hand, the lush green sea of jungle, broken irregularly by the curvy, organic, narrow spires. On the other side, the flat gray expanse of fog, broken by three perfectly geometric pyramid types in a perfectly straight line.
(10:34:55 PM) D_M: The smoke has moved, actually, It is closer to the mountains this time. on the near side of the rivier.
(10:34:57 PM) D_M: river, rather.
(10:35:19 PM) Vargas: "I think we should check out that smoke, and then head for the spires."
(10:36:05 PM) D_M: Note that, putting Miriam and Ibram on Phantom Steeds, you all can traverse the jungle more than twice as fast as you did with gnomes in tow. And the vast majority of monster encounters, should they arise, would be trivial to the point of not mentioning. So basically you've unlocked the jungle as a free movement area.
(10:36:06 PM) Serribon: "I agree on the first part. But I think we should investigate the land of mist first. If we keep going in that direction, we'll run into the sea and have to turn back this way anyway."
(10:36:19 PM) Vargas: "You think so?"
(10:37:27 PM) Vargas: "So you want to check the smoke, then the mist, then the spires? Miriam, Ibram?"
(10:37:46 PM) Serribon: "Yes. No one I have ever heard of has been this far west or further. The cities of my mother's people may just be more dust and spiders. That seems like a place to visit in passing, rather than a destination."
(10:38:08 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "ALl right."
(10:38:16 PM) Vargas: "Hmm. I suppose there is some wisdom in that."
(10:38:33 PM) Vargas: (okay, FF to fire, then back?)
(10:38:34 PM) Serribon: "And whoever is making that smoke seems to be on the move - they may know more of this region. No one in the Anjaj would."
(10:38:37 PM) D_M: Miriam says: "We came to the jungle to find the fate of Serribon's people. But if he is no longer bent on that pursuit, I guess I really don't care."
(10:40:16 PM) Serribon: "They are supposed to have come to the mountains - if they indeed chose to leave the cities of the jungle, we'd be more likely to find them here than there. If they died there, they will still be there when we make our way back."
(10:40:50 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "All I want to do is a find a damn way home."
(10:41:45 PM) D_M: "Time is the only way home, Ibram. One way or another."
(10:41:47 PM) D_M: says Miriam.
(10:42:13 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *face briefly twists with rage, and then he nods*
(10:42:32 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "How many more things like this will we have to see between then and now, od you think? WE couldn't save anyone."
(10:42:42 PM) Vargas: (onwards to fire?)
(10:43:38 PM) Vargas: "I feel as cheated as anyone Ibram, but there is naught I can do about it now. What is done is done. There is nothing left to do but explore the wake of the Cataclysm, and gather what power we can to prepare for whatever comes next."
(10:44:27 PM) D_M: "On the contrary. We saved twenty-six, both from the jungle and from sudden evaporation, it would seem."
(10:44:27 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *considers that, and nods*
(10:44:28 PM) Marauder_shields: (afk for a bit, but move on with ibram tagging along since i don't think we're fighting this time)
(10:44:48 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Power... huh."
(10:45:12 PM) D_M: All right, how much time and energy do the players have left tonight?
(10:45:32 PM) Vargas: "You know, I asked the Sigilite why he brought me to the Crystal Fortress. He said it was only to make me stronger for what was to come."
(10:45:36 PM) Serribon: "If the city was called from another world, it's possible it just went back. There wasn't nearly enough gold - or any other materials - left for it to have actually just disintegrated."
(10:45:41 PM) Vargas: (I'm alive and good til midnight)
(10:45:49 PM) D_M: Wow. All right.
(10:46:08 PM) Serribon: I'm good 'til whenever.
(10:46:15 PM) Vargas: "Maybe we will encounter the City of Gold again."
(10:46:24 PM) Vargas: "Or, maybe we'll find it another way."
(10:47:02 PM) Vargas: "If I knew what plane it came from, we could travel there directly. Or maybe it just moved somewhere else on Earth."
(10:47:34 PM) D_M: As you talk, you march down the mountainside. It's almost trivial without the gnomes.
(10:48:02 PM) D_M: When terrain is level, you ride or fly or jog. When you must descend a cliff, you double a line and just rappel down.
(10:48:17 PM) D_M: The contrast is staggering. It makes you all realize just how much power and capability you take for granted.
(10:48:24 PM) Vargas: "Which, reminds me of something I need to discuss with all of you."
(10:48:51 PM) Vargas: "I found something in the tomes of Plinkerton which I only recently started to understand."
(10:49:18 PM) Vargas: "You know how I call my contracts from the Planes? And outsiders are visitors from those places?"
(10:49:46 PM) Serribon: Yes."
(10:51:01 PM) Vargas: "One of the gnomes had a spell which can take you to the edge of the Plane of Shadow. The border between this realm, and Shadows. It is a travel spell. But it is possible to cross over the threshold to."
(10:51:26 PM) D_M: You are soon in the jungle, and on phantom steeds, invisible wings, and Serribon's fleet feet, you make easy progress.
(10:51:58 PM) Vargas: "I don't see any need to use it, but one day there may come a reason to. And I wanted you to be aware just in case."
(10:52:44 PM) Serribon: "Shadows? As in those dark spirits that drain your strength? Why would anyone ever want to go where they come from?"
(10:52:54 PM) Vargas: "Different place."
(10:53:13 PM) Vargas: "The Plane of Shadow, and the Plane of Negative Energy share a border, but they are not the same."
(10:53:50 PM) Vargas: "The Plane of Shadow is the source of all illusions. It is a place of possibility. What might be, what could be, half truths, and dreams."
(10:54:10 PM) D_M: The trees go by, and Serribon keeps you on the straight path. You see giant bugs and other hazards along your way, but they barely make your radar. Serribon gets jumped by a large wolf spider, but he punches it in several of its eyes and it flees in terror.
(10:54:22 PM) Vargas: "A place brought to life by desires and nightmares alike."
(10:54:43 PM) Serribon: "Sounds awful."
(10:55:04 PM) Serribon: "Do you think the golden city may have come from there? Or gone there?"
(10:55:20 PM) Vargas: "I doubt it. Wrong aura."
(10:55:49 PM) D_M: And then, that evening, just before sunset, you find yourself close at hand to the wisp of white smoke. It seems to have moved again, right to the base of the mountains.
(10:58:05 PM) D_M: So, how do you approach, team?
(10:58:43 PM) Vargas: "Serribon, Miriam, do you want an invisibility?"
(10:59:08 PM) D_M: Miriam says, "Sure."
(10:59:16 PM) Serribon: "Probably couldn't hurt."
(10:59:45 PM) ***Vargas casts Invis on Serribon, and another on Miriam using the power of his ring. "11 minutes."
(11:00:12 PM) Vargas: "Go ahead, and don't be afraid to be polite."
(11:00:14 PM) ***Serribon almost nods, before he realizes that would be pointless. "Very well. Back soon."
(11:00:48 PM) Marauder_shields: (back)
(11:01:11 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Good luck."
(11:01:22 PM) ***Vargas will talk with Ibram and Brrk.
(11:01:23 PM) D_M: Miriam and Serribon, you two scout ahead, leaving Ibram and Vargas behind.
(11:01:27 PM) ***Serribon slips into the brush to sneak up on the campfire or whatever it is. Base Stealth is +20 +invis bonuses
(11:02:14 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Yes?"
(11:02:43 PM) Vargas: "A copper coin for your thoughts, Ibram."
(11:03:58 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "I jus.... I don't know man. Not anymore."
(11:04:52 PM) Vargas: "There was no way to know that City was just going to poof the second I looked at it."
(11:05:08 PM) D_M: Serribon, Miriam hangs back, which you can tell by ear, and lets you advance under cover her bow.
(11:06:00 PM) Vargas: "But, augh, I'm back tracking."
(11:06:03 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+20 (GUPC)
(11:06:05 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon, (GUPC): 39:19+20
(11:06:09 PM) Marauder_shields: (jesus)
(11:06:12 PM) Vargas: "Is something eating at you Ibram?"
(11:06:19 PM) Vargas: "You haven't been your usual self."
(11:06:27 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Nobody is going to blame you. No.... well, yes. I just miss home."
(11:06:28 PM) Vargas: "And I don't mean the brownberries."
(11:06:33 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "This isn't gott's land."
(11:06:41 PM) D_M: You sneak with utmost sneak to the vicinity of the camp. It hasn't been made in a clearing or anything, but it is indeed a spartan camp. On a small, raised bit of ground, just enough to keep dry, you find a small fire, and a couple of cooking utensiles, and a leanto so natural it seems to have grown that way. You're staring right at it and you still almost fail to see it.
(11:06:45 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "I'm forgetting what my mother and father look like, Vargas."
(11:06:52 PM) Serribon: (It's not that he *can't * see the forest for the trees - he just sees right through it)
(11:07:22 PM) Vargas: "What's the longest you've ever been away from home, Ibram? How long have we traveled together?"
(11:07:33 PM) Serribon: Occupied?
(11:07:56 PM) D_M: Not that you can tell, Serribon.
(11:08:15 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *wipes at his helmet* "Not sure."
(11:08:35 PM) Serribon: Tracks?
(11:08:36 PM) D_M: ,roll 1d20
(11:08:36 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: D_M: 4
(11:09:11 PM) D_M: A few in the immediate vicinity of the camp fire. You may study them, Serribon.
(11:09:26 PM) Vargas: "Do you have any dreams, Ibram? Goals or aspirations? You got your father's debt taken care of right?"
(11:09:42 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+187(survival)
(11:09:48 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+17
(11:09:49 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 31:14+17
(11:10:02 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *smiles sadly*
(11:10:21 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "I really don't, Vargas."
(11:10:56 PM) Vargas: "Well, you need to get some. Nobody built a Bread Golem without a dream!"
(11:11:36 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Just a lot of nightmares." *he spits into the dirt, briefly*
(11:11:50 PM) D_M: Small humanoid footprints, Serribon. Bare feet. A child, or else a gnome or halfling. Just one. The tracks are only evident in the immediate vicinity of the camp fire. They don't seem to come from or go to it.
(11:12:13 PM) ***Serribon has a bad feeling about this.
(11:13:10 PM) D_M: Serribon, GUpc.
(11:13:13 PM) Serribon: Any indication it might be a fey of some sort?
(11:13:17 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+20
(11:13:18 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 25:5+20
(11:13:30 PM) Vargas: "Well. I just think it's a waste of your potential to not have a dream."
(11:13:45 PM) Vargas: "And if you don't have a dream, somebody will just use you to fulfill theirs."
(11:17:30 PM) D_M left the room (quit: *.net *.split).
(11:17:30 PM) InquisitorHEX left the room (quit: *.net *.split).
(11:17:30 PM) Marauder_shields left the room (quit: *.net *.split).
(11:17:33 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah left the room (quit: *.net *.split).
(11:17:33 PM) Harmonia left the room (quit: *.net *.split).
(11:17:39 PM) Vargas: (uh oh)
(11:18:19 PM) D_M [~Ancient@ip98-166-213-225.hr.hr.cox.net] entered the room.
(11:18:19 PM) InquisitorHEX [~Ancient@ip98-166-213-225.hr.hr.cox.net] entered the room.
(11:18:19 PM) Marauder_shields [~ThunderHa@c-68-63-91-80.hsd1.pa.comcast.net] entered the room.
(11:18:19 PM) #beyondshadowrun: mode (+o Marauder_shields ) by apocalypse.esper.net
(11:18:43 PM) Vargas: "Well. I just think it's a waste of your potential to not have a dream."
(11:18:46 PM) Vargas: "And if you don't have a dream, somebody will just use you to fulfill theirs."
(11:18:57 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah [~KlokWerk_@r75-110-108-173.rmntcmtc01.rcmtnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net] entered the room.
(11:18:57 PM) Harmonia [~Owner@0-21-63-5a-8e-f3.wlan.lsu.edu] entered the room.
(11:19:23 PM) Serribon: (weird. it was an auto-remerge. I didn't transfer the emprah back)
(11:19:25 PM) Vargas: (welcome back everybody)
(11:19:27 PM) D_M: Serribon, your invis spell won't last more than another minute or so. We're in slow stealth time rather than round time. But there doesn't seem to be anyone about. You may continue to search for clues if you like.
(11:19:43 PM) Serribon: Nah. Heading back.
(11:20:34 PM) D_M: Serribon and Miriam return to Vargas, Ibram, And Brek.
(11:20:39 PM) D_M: Brrk, rather.
(11:20:47 PM) Vargas: "Any news?"
(11:20:48 PM) Serribon: Though you never did give me the result of my perc check.
(11:20:59 PM) Serribon:
(11:13:18 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 25:5+20
(11:21:17 PM) D_M: I did, sorry. It got net-split. No indication of fey.
(11:21:23 PM) Serribon: right-o.
(11:21:43 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "No more of those bastards we had to kill with the gnomes, right?"
(11:22:16 PM) Vargas: "I don't think quicklings even set campfires. Otherwise we would have seen them."
(11:22:33 PM) Serribon: "Perhaps. I found the campsite. It was very well integrated into the surrounding forest. If it weren't for the smoke, I don't know if I would have spotted it at all. Seems to be one occupant, child-sized and barefoot."
(11:22:51 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Go up, say hi, bring food. Shouldn't be too hard."
(11:23:02 PM) Serribon: "No sign of them other than footprints."
(11:23:08 PM) Vargas: "Child sized? Huh. Maybe a kindermensch."
(11:23:33 PM) Vargas: "There is a chance they might be a local expert. They might even know about the elven spires."
(11:23:39 PM) Vargas: "Ibram has a good idea."
(11:23:53 PM) Vargas: "We should talk to them, and see if they know anything about the area."
(11:24:06 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *nods* "Maybe we can make a friend that won't die."
(11:24:20 PM) Serribon: "Or another gnome. Either way - one in the jungle by itself. It may be another of those nature priests. We should be cautious."
(11:24:33 PM) ***Vargas nods.
(11:24:35 PM) D_M: GUPCs.
(11:24:39 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+17
(11:24:40 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+20
(11:24:40 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas: 28:11+17
(11:24:41 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 33:13+20
(11:25:20 PM) D_M: Carry on.
(11:26:05 PM) Marauder_shields: ,roll 1d20+1
(11:26:05 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Marauder_shields: 10:9+1
(11:26:09 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Okay."
(11:26:15 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Cuatious with food though."
(11:26:18 PM) D_M: It's just jungle around you, Ibram. Trees, birds, and bugs.
(11:26:26 PM) Vargas: "Let's set up a fire adjacent, but not inside their camp. Using their camp might be considered rude."
(11:26:55 PM) Vargas: "Ibram can warm some warm some wine over the fire."
(11:27:48 PM) ***Serribon leads them back near the site and, with Ibram's help, sets up camp.
(11:27:50 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *will do just that, putting some spices in to mull it too* "You mean now right?"
(11:27:57 PM) Vargas: (is it toward the end of the day?)
(11:28:15 PM) D_M: It is. The sun is setting.
(11:28:24 PM) ***Vargas will conjure a cabin.
(11:28:44 PM) D_M: GUPCs.
(11:28:50 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+20
(11:28:51 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon: 37:17+20
(11:28:55 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+17
(11:28:55 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas: 20:3+17
(11:31:56 PM) D_M: Serribon does not know how to fail at perc. As you all build a small fire and unpack in the cabin, Serribon, you have the strangest feeling that you recognize that parrot. Or else you glimpsed a parrot just like it while you all were discussing your plan.
(11:32:50 PM) Serribon: "Guys, I don't think I trust that parrot. He looks shifty."
(11:33:00 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "How can you tell?"
(11:33:41 PM) Serribon: "It's the eyes."
(11:33:56 PM) Vargas: (how far is it?)
(11:34:03 PM) Serribon: "And I don't remember them living in this part of the jungle."
(11:34:14 PM) D_M: yes you do, Serri.
(11:34:17 PM) D_M: It's native.
(11:34:24 PM) Serribon: Oh. Scratch that, then.
(11:35:07 PM) D_M: The parrot ruffles its feathers. It could be just a parrot. You know them to take interest in strange things, especially shiny things. But... well, you've been around the block enough times to be paranoid.
(11:35:22 PM) Serribon: Is it close enough for det magic?
(11:35:43 PM) D_M: what's the range?
(11:35:51 PM) Vargas: (30 feet I think?)
(11:35:54 PM) Serribon: 60', I think
(11:36:11 PM) Vargas: (60)
(11:36:23 PM) nacht: (If it sounds like Gilbert Gottfried, don't trust it)
(11:36:29 PM) Serribon: (hahah)
(11:36:50 PM) Serribon: (I'll offer it a cracker. If it spits in my face, I know we've got him)
(11:37:07 PM) D_M: You can detect magic at it, then.
(11:37:16 PM) ***Serribon burns off a ring charge.
(11:37:24 PM) D_M: It is a vaguely magical parrot.
(11:37:34 PM) ***Vargas knows what Serribon is doing, so he holds back on his more obvious spellcasting.
(11:37:46 PM) Serribon: ,roll 1d20+7 (spellcraft)
(11:37:47 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Serribon, (spellcraft): 12:5+7
(11:38:17 PM) Serribon: (I forget - did I scan that grey hulk or whatever it was in the raining forest?)
(11:38:31 PM) D_M: The grey render?
(11:38:34 PM) Serribon: Right
(11:38:40 PM) Vargas: (I have no idea if you had the ring by that point)
(11:39:08 PM) Vargas: [What did you see with the ring?]
(11:39:31 PM) Serribon: [There is magic about it. No idea what it means, though.]
(11:40:05 PM) Serribon: (believe I did - I've had it for a very long time - but Serri's magic knowledge would have been so rudimentary, he probably wouldn't recognize his own aura.)
(11:40:18 PM) ***Vargas ponders the possibilities, and casts Detect Magic so he can apply his expertise.
(11:40:41 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *just offers the parrot some dried fruti since he needs that so he can poop every now and then*
(11:40:45 PM) Vargas: ,roll 1d20+20 (spellcraft)
(11:40:45 PM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Vargas, (spellcraft): 37:17+20
(11:40:49 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *as in, that's why he has it*
(11:42:13 PM) D_M: The parrot flies away when Vargas starts making magics at it.
(11:42:43 PM) Vargas: "It's smart enough to recognize spellcasting. So that leaves two possibilities."
(11:42:54 PM) D_M: either that, or it got bored.
(11:43:05 PM) D_M: Or it interpretted the somantic components as rude gestures.
(11:43:20 PM) Vargas: "It's either a familiar, or a shapeshifter."
(11:43:42 PM) Vargas: "Or, maybe an animal spy spell."
(11:43:45 PM) D_M: in any case, the parrot went that way. /DM points.
(11:44:13 PM) Vargas: "I've heard of people who use magic to look through the eyes of beasts."
(11:44:47 PM) ***Vargas shrugs.
(11:45:36 PM) Serribon: "If it has a master, they will likely do something soon. If not, I'm not wasting my time chasing a parrot through the trees."
(11:45:57 PM) Vargas: "Yeah. Pursuit would look aggressive anyways. Time to wait."
(11:46:24 PM) Vargas: "Or..."
(11:46:31 PM) Vargas: "Maybe I'll just do the simple thing."
(11:46:43 PM) ***Vargas cups his hands, "HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO."
(11:47:42 PM) Vargas: "We have some warm, spiced wine if you'd like some!"
(11:48:10 PM) Serribon: (We mean you no harm! Really! C'mon, we mean it!)
(11:48:36 PM) Serribon: (Does this rag smell like cholroform to you?)
(11:49:06 PM) Vargas: "Pity we look like terrifying bastards to most people. And by we, I mean Serribon and Ibram." He chuckles.
(11:50:07 PM) D_M: "What, I'm not terrifying?" says Miriam.
(11:50:18 PM) Vargas: "Nope."
(11:50:29 PM) D_M: "Oh. pooh."
(11:51:25 PM) Harmonia is now known as Arcadia
(11:52:20 PM) ***Vargas will go about setting up the cabin for the night.
(11:53:15 PM) ***Vargas conjures a 20 x 20 building from nothing that looks like it was built from jungle materials, but has properties more like stone in terms of sturdiness.
(11:54:32 PM) D_M: Hmm... A wooden creeeaaak as a tree opens. Arcadia steps through the door. And a SNAP as the tree snaps shut again.
(11:54:38 PM) D_M: There we go.
(11:53:25 PM) ***Arcadia appears seemingly out of nowhere at the edge of your camp. She is a small, slight gnome. She wears only light cloathing, and goes barefoot. Her greenish-brown eyes stare cautiously at your strange group.
(11:54:30 PM) Serribon: "About time you showed up."
(11:55:17 PM) D_M is now known as Miriam
(11:55:25 PM) ***Vargas looks over. "Oh, hello!"
(11:55:34 PM) ***Arcadia stares
(11:55:37 PM) ***Miriam smacks Serribon.
(11:55:51 PM) Miriam: "Don't be flippant."
(11:56:23 PM) Vargas: "Do you speak Common?"
(11:56:34 PM) Arcadia: yes
(11:56:41 PM) ***Miriam shows her hands to the stranger, in a gesture of peace. Because she's not carrying a weapon, see? The irony is not lost on her, but she sticks with it. "You are welcome here. We are friendly. Mostly."
(11:57:35 PM) ***Arcadia raises an eyebrow. "Who are you people?"
(11:58:12 PM) ***Miriam cocks her head back. She glances at the men-folk. Surly wench, this gnome.
(11:58:24 PM) Vargas: "We are travelers, explorers, and adventurers."
(11:58:46 PM) Arcadia: "Where do you come from?"
(11:59:41 PM) Vargas: "Mostly from the north and east, but it's sorta complicated. Serribon is sorta local, but he's been away from home for a long time."
(11:59:46 PM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> *shrugs* "A place not yet built. Herzland."
(12:00:16 AM) Serribon: "And you?"
(12:01:52 AM) Serribon: (and there are, by law, only two types of druid - the crazy ones and the surly ones. The hippy-dippy types get eaten the first time they try to talk to a bear)
(12:01:53 AM) ***Arcadia is intrigued. "Around. I also travel."
(12:01:54 AM) ***Vargas remembers what happened the last time he saw a girl step out of a hole in a tree. That was not a good day.
(12:02:15 AM) Arcadia: (lol)
(12:02:38 AM) Arcadia: "Where are you traveling to?"
(12:02:51 AM) Arcadia: (as they should)
(12:03:30 AM) ***Miriam seats herself again by the fire and listens to the conversation while observing the newcomer.
(12:04:07 AM) Vargas: "Well, we are thinking of exploring the land under the fog, over the mountains. We saw your fire moving along the jungle heading toward the mountains, and we thought we'd see if you were a local expert before crossing over. We don't meet to many people out here."
(12:04:18 AM) Vargas: "Oh, how rude of me. I should introduce myself."
(12:04:26 AM) Vargas: "I am Vargas."
(12:04:35 AM) ***Vargas gestures for the others to introduce themselves.
(12:04:50 AM) Serribon: "I am Serribon."
(12:05:49 AM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Corbec."
(12:06:19 AM) ***Arcadia disregards your introductions, being more interested in your travels. "The land under the fog?"
(12:06:44 AM) ***Miriam opens her mouth to offer her name and is cut off. She closes her mouth. Surly wench!
(12:06:59 AM) ***Vargas nods. "Yeah. Not much but fog on the other side. You can't really see much from the peaks."
(12:07:00 AM) Serribon: "On the far side of the Maidens."
(12:07:00 AM) ***Miriam is amused by this gnome and grins.
(12:07:26 AM) Serribon: "I spotted the tops of three pyramidal structures. We're going to see what they are."
(12:08:24 AM) Arcadia: "Pyramidal....?"
(12:09:00 AM) Miriam: "Serribon is a particularly literate barbarian," offers Miriam.
(12:09:11 AM) ***Vargas snickers.
(12:09:20 AM) Serribon: "Buildings shaped somewhat like mountains, with three or more triangular sides that meet in a peak."
(12:09:23 AM) Miriam: She sets to brushing her voluminous and far-too-clean hair.
(12:10:06 AM) ***Arcadia looks slightly confused. "I know enough about the jungle, but noone knows about the land under the fog."
(12:10:10 AM) Vargas: (what color is it today?)
(12:10:20 AM) Miriam: ,roll 1d41
(12:10:20 AM) ***Serribon smiles, "That's why we want to go there."
(12:10:20 AM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Miriam: 18
(12:10:35 AM) Miriam: ,roll 1d41
(12:10:35 AM) KlokWerk_Emprah: Miriam: 41
(12:10:49 AM) Serribon: "Which part of the Kerangas do you hail from? Have you been to the any of the elven cities?"
(12:10:50 AM) Miriam: Copper, brushing to deep red.
(12:11:13 AM) Vargas: (FYI, Arcadia, Miriam is brushing her hair with a magic comb to change colors)
(12:11:22 AM) Vargas: (In case it was not clear)
(12:11:34 AM) Miriam: (Magic brush! The comb does something else.)
(12:11:45 AM) ***Arcadia begins to smile back, before getting distracted by Miriam's ever-changing hair.
(12:12:29 AM) ***Miriam notices she's being stared at, realizes why, and sheepishly hides the brush in her lap and tries to look innocent. "Yes, tell us where you're from,"
(12:12:34 AM) Arcadia: "Interesting. I have been to the elven cities. They are all bones, now. But the land under the fog, that could be interesting"
(12:13:54 AM) Serribon: "... Inevitable, I suppose. Do you know how long they have been that way?"
(12:14:49 AM) Arcadia: "Always."
(12:15:56 AM) Serribon: How old is she, anyhow? Obviously an adult? Younger?
(12:16:46 AM) Arcadia: Young adult, by all appearance.
(12:17:06 AM) Vargas: "What is your name?"
(12:17:26 AM) Arcadia: "I am Acadia."
(12:17:55 AM) Vargas: "Pleasure to meet you, Acadia."
(12:18:15 AM) Miriam: (Hehehe, I got her to misspell her own name in the /nick command, My bad!)
(12:18:38 AM) Arcadia: (I'm having an identity crisis)
(12:18:41 AM) Arcadia is now known as Acadia
(12:19:26 AM) Vargas: "If you will excuse me, I'm going to set up the beds and such."
(12:19:31 AM) ***Vargas disappears into the cabin.
(12:19:34 AM) Vargas: (bedtime)
(12:19:35 AM) Serribon: "I suppose that can wait for later, then. Yes, the shrouded land. No one in my time had even hinted that such a place existed."
(12:20:11 AM) Acadia: "In your time?"
(12:20:31 AM) Serribon: "Uh, yes. I'm older than I look."
(12:21:14 AM) ***Acadia purses her lips.
(12:21:23 AM) Serribon: "Back before the skies fell."
(12:23:26 AM) Acadia: "Before.... Interesting. What do you think you will find at the Premids?"
(12:25:00 AM) Serribon: "I haven't the slightest idea. That's what makes it interesting. But anything that survived the sundering and whatever sent the northern end of the mountain range into the sea is bound to be worth looking at."
(12:26:15 AM) ***Acadia thinks for a moment. "Hm. We will go, then."
(12:27:06 AM) Marauder_shields: <ibram> "Premids?"
(12:27:39 AM) Acadia: "Yes. To the Premids."
(12:28:23 AM) Serribon: "Where were you going before?"
(12:29:45 AM) Acadia: "Nowhere, in particular. The elf cities are dust. The gnomes are dumb. We just wander."
(12:30:48 AM) Serribon: ''We' who?"
(12:31:43 AM) Acadia: "Me and Petite."
(12:33:34 AM) Serribon: "The parrot?"
(12:34:46 AM) ***Acadia thinks. "The parrot is another friend."
(12:36:38 AM) Serribon: "Who or what is Petite? Some unreasonably large creature?"
(12:39:29 AM) Acadia: "Nah. Petite is very reasonable."
(12:40:33 AM) Acadia: "He's around. He's shy, though."
(12:40:58 AM) ***Serribon nods.
(12:41:34 AM) ***Miriam retires to bed just in time to miss the big reveal.
(12:41:42 AM) Miriam: She will have a tremendous surprise come morning.
(12:42:31 AM) Miriam is now known as Ancient
(12:42:34 AM) Ancient: Night, folks.
(12:42:38 AM) Acadia: night night
(12:42:48 AM) Ancient: Welcome to the party.
(12:42:49 AM) nacht: night man
(12:42:51 AM) Serribon: Night
(12:42:54 AM) Acadia: Thanks!
(12:43:35 AM) Ancient left the room (quit: Quit: Leaving).
(12:43:53 AM) Acadia: Unless Serribon has any more questions, I think Acadia will bed down in her camp about nwo
(12:43:55 AM) Acadia: now*
(12:44:04 AM) Serribon: (nah)
(12:45:07 AM) Acadia: okie dokie. Good night, all.
(12:45:26 AM) Acadia: And thank you for letting me join your group. :)
(12:45:38 AM) Serribon: Goodnight, and welcome aboard.
(12:45:53 AM) nacht: have a good night
(12:46:14 AM) Acadia: thanks. night!
(12:47:23 AM) Acadia left the room (quit: Quit: Leaving.).

22APR12

Clockwork Rivet